• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 9:18 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2003
276 posts
44 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Looking for USB A (Male) to USB A (Male) cable

Since I need this relatively soon, I'm looking for a brick and mortar store that carries USB A Male to USB A Male cable in 3-6 foot lengths. I'm ok with either USB 2 or USB 3. I've checked Best Buy and a few others and they don't seem to carry this particular cable in store, only online.

Anyone know any stores I can go pick this up from?
7 replies
[OP]
Nov 6, 2003
276 posts
44 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Thanks, audit13. I could probably make that length work, but I'll check if they have longer lengths.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5016 upvotes
Out of curiosity, what are you trying to do with this cable? The reason why few exist is it's against USB spec--you're not supposed to attempt to connect two USB host ports together like that as there's no functionality in USB to operate like this and you will likely end up blowing the port, hub, or controller on one of the hosts. There may be some "legitimate" uses for a cable like this but because it makes it easy to do something foolish like try to connect two computers together, these cables aren't "supposed" to be out there.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 2.5" usb enclosure that has a usb A female connector on the case.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5016 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:19 pm
I have a 2.5" usb enclosure that has a usb A female connector on the case.
Some of these weirdo China manufactuers will do crap like this, so that's a possibility. However this is never "supposed" to happen as A-ports are always supposed to be on the host end and B-ports on device ends (not counting the OTG spec, which is an exception). Of course it's possible that enclosure was designed with OTG in mind (this way a regular micro-B to A cable could be used to connect it to a phone/tablet with OTG); otherwise I dunno what they were thinking.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:01 pm
Some of these weirdo China manufactuers will do crap like this, so that's a possibility. However this is never "supposed" to happen as A-ports are always supposed to be on the host end and B-ports on device ends (not counting the OTG spec, which is an exception). Of course it's possible that enclosure was designed with OTG in mind (this way a regular micro-B to A cable could be used to connect it to a phone/tablet with OTG); otherwise I dunno what they were thinking.
One thing I like about the A female connector on the enclosure is that it seems more sturdy than the female micro connectors found on many enclosures. A bad thing is the rarity of the cable.