Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2249 posts
704 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for video stabilizing/deshaker software

So far, I found that VirtualDub has a filter for this purpose, but my files are MKV, and VD doesn't support those. VDMod looks like a pretty old program, and can't read my .mkv files.

I've read online that Avidemux has a video stabilizing filter, but I can't find it in the app itself, nor any guides online on how to use it.

Any other recommendations for video stabilizing software? Obviously, looking for something that supports .mkv format, would result in the least quality loss, and preferably free.

Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2249 posts
704 upvotes
Toronto
Nobody else wanted to make their videos free of handshaking?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1950 posts
5 upvotes
Negotiator wrote: Nobody else wanted to make their videos free of handshaking?
Not their MKVs.
:)

My favorite stabilization software is still DeShaker. Read this to find out how to load mkv's into Virtualdub.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2249 posts
704 upvotes
Toronto
Alright, thanks. Still can't get the deshaker to work properly, but at least now VD opens my files.
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
MKV isn't a codec, it's a container. Therefore, you're looking for a program that can handle the embedded streams, and not the MKV itself. You can demux any video without any loss of quality, provided you just separate it into its subsequent streams, as opposed to transcoding it.

Solution: Demux your video, and try again.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1950 posts
5 upvotes
Negotiator wrote: Alright, thanks. Still can't get the deshaker to work properly, but at least now VD opens my files.
What specifically do you mean by "can't get the deshaker to work properly"?

The default values in deshaker usually work pretty good for most types of deshaking.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2249 posts
704 upvotes
Toronto
Outsider wrote: What specifically do you mean by "can't get the deshaker to work properly"?

The default values in deshaker usually work pretty good for most types of deshaking.
Well, I applied the filter, and saved as AVI - it gave me file slightly smaller than the original (of which, according to the "process window" while encoding, about 95% of size was audio, and 5% - video), which when I tried to view it, came up with entire length of video showing up an error "this frame was not processed in pass 1" (tried WMP and VLC players), and audio as in the original. It's probably just me doing something improperly, since I'm using the program for the first time :eek:

EDIT: Never mind, figured out what I was doing wrong. Got my de-shaked video. Although it looks weird, and quality is below expectations. Probably because the original video is so unstable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)