Cell Phones

Looking for a Voice Only Plan, BMO Offer or Virgin?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2013 8:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1583 posts
329 upvotes
Calgary

Looking for a Voice Only Plan, BMO Offer or Virgin?

Looking to switch my sister off prepaid, the major thing is that the plan must include unlimited messaging.

I was looking around and now its down to 2 different plans with two different providers.

BMO Offer (TalkandEarn)
  • 150 Minutes
  • Evenings and Weekends Starting at 6PM
  • Unlimited Canada & US Messaging
  • Call Display/Voicemail
This plan would be $25/month on a 2 year contract. For the first 6 months the plan will be 50% off so for the 2 years, it would work out to be $21/month.

Virgin

$20/Month
  • 50 Canada Wide Minutes
  • Unlimited Messaging (Canada, US, International)
  • Call Display/ Voicemail 10
The BMO offer is better however I was wondering about their coverage. They are using Rogers towers, however I can see that they would probably be pushed to the bottom for access. Not too sure about the reliability of BMO's network. Can anyone comment on the reliability of BMO?

Also, looking at the phones between the two, with Virgin I'd be able to get much better phones. The best one I found that could be taken home for 'free' would be the Motorola Razr V. With BMO I'd probably look to unlocking her current phone I got for her.

All comments would be greatly appreciated :D
6 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1583 posts
329 upvotes
Calgary
icemasta wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 7:20 pm
Why not Chatr?
She needs unlimited messaging and the cheapest plan they have with it is $35/month, looking to spend around $20/month. She hardly ever calls people, 30 minutes would probably be enough for her.

Only reason she is switching to an actual plan is because she blew through her messaging addon on prepaid within 2 days. It doesn't renew the offer for another 28, doesn't make sense to increase the topup because the next one up is $25/month, might as well put her on a plan.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3821 posts
329 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Why not look at petro canada mobility for $20 month 100 minutes ( canada wide calling ) with unlimited text messages, can use any rogers phone or run locked and uses thr Rogers network.

As to your thought on BMO and Rogers not getting priority, it is not the case.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1583 posts
329 upvotes
Calgary
theguyz wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 7:51 pm
Why not look at petro canada mobility for $20 month 100 minutes ( canada wide calling ) with unlimited text messages, can use any rogers phone or run locked and uses thr Rogers network.

As to your thought on BMO and Rogers not getting priority, it is not the case.
Oh okay. Thanks for pointing out Petro-Canada, I completely forgot they have a mobility service as well. If she goes with Petro or BMO I'd have to unlock her current phone which is the Samsung Galaxy Fascinate 4G, shouldn't be too much of a hassle and its free if I root the phone. I guess Petro would be the better deal between them and BMO since I don't have to lock in the plan for 2 years.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
how about koodo. 20 bucks 25 mins talk, weekends, unlimited text and free long distance anywhere in Canada. 25 bucks 50 minutes talk, weeknights and weekends and unlimited text +free long distance in Canada. also they have decent 5 dollar fee's - 25mg, 10$-100mg and so on.... if you have to use data - only pay if you use it or get a plan that has data.
edit:
koodo is under telus if you didn't know.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
× < >