• Feb 10th, 2009 10:01 pm
Tags:
None
May 27, 2008
23 posts
Toronto

looking for wholesale jars

Hi there,
I am looking for a wholesale distributor of high end Mason-type canning jars (such as Ball Elite Jars or Weck Jars). I cannot find anyone in Canada or even anyone willing to ship to Canada. Any ideas?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
Are you intending on using the jars to commercially sell canned goods? If you are there are a ton of legal requirements you have to jump through to do so "legally"in Canada. You have to follow the rules listed under the Processed Products Regulations... Which is probably the reason you are going to have trouble finding a "commerical" jar supplier.

As for looking for a supplier have you tried talking your local HomeHardware or TSC and asking about a bulk buy? Another route would be to talk to any locally owned Foodland or No Frills. They might be able to get you a drop shipment for a much better price if you can handle a skid or half skid of jars at a time.

A friend of mine developed a line of BBQ sauces he wanted to sell and found it was much cheaper to comply with the regs by hiring a marketing lawyer to copyright the recipe and have a company produce it for him under his label. The total cost of legal fees, logo copyright and food label testing for the nutritional label was just over 30 grand in the early 90's.
May 27, 2008
23 posts
Toronto
I have an online organic vegetable seed company and wanted to start a "harvest" section. With recipes for canning etc, and tie it in with selling canning supplies for home preserving. I can only find two distributors of these jars and neither will ship to Canada.

I agree, selling food product opens up a huge legal can of worms. Which is too bad as I make great pickles :)

I will follow up on your suggestion of home hardware and TSC. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
If Homehardware or TSC in your area don't work out you could try contacting ones around Kitchener-Waterloo, and St Jacobs. They have a huge farmers market where the Mennonite and Amish do sell some canned goods.... So they have to be getting the jars from somewhere in those areas. Also don't overlook the small hometown and foodland owned grocery stores in that area. I know the owners in Milverton and Wellesley are pretty accomodating if they can get stock which might be limited at this time of year.
Nov 28, 2007
229 posts
35 upvotes
GVRD
Have you asked the US suppliers if they would allow you to pick up the product?

Depending on how much your buying and where they are located, you may want to try to convince them to let you arrange freight. They would still have to prepare the customs documents (this is usually the part they won't do, but its easier than it looks) and you would need a customs broker to clear it.

hopefully it works out either way. :)
Mar 11, 2006
65 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Consolidated Bottle Company
Toronto Office and Showroom
77 Union Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6N 3N2
tel: 416.656.7777/800.561.1354
fax:416 656 6394

I use them for 1L Mason Jars. Next day pallet delivery.
May 27, 2008
23 posts
Toronto
Thank you everyone, these are all very good leads.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)