Home & Garden

Loose handles on Moen faucet in bathtub!

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2008 10:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton

Loose handles on Moen faucet in bathtub!

Hi there! I have a bathtub and both handles are loose on the Moen faucet. By loose, I mean two things:

1. The handle of the cold water lever just came off. I think there is a set screw, but how does this operate?

2. The entire assembly (the two handles and the tap) is now loose, so the entire thing jiggles. How can this be fixed? I don't want any connections to break and suddenly leak inside!

Is it possible this faucet was mounted from underneath the tub and the entire tub needs to be removed to fix this?

Thanks!
6 replies
Dec 27, 2007
721 posts
120 upvotes
Oshawa
The set screw keeping the handle on is maybe half an inch long that requires an allen key to loosen and tighten.

If the entire assembly is loose then this means the two nuts located underneath the hot and cold handles have come loose. These are on the underside of the tub and you will require access in order to tighten them. If no false tile was left or even an access door then you have some work ahead of you.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
please post a picture

is this a deck mount faucet?
HappyGoLucky wrote:
May 1st, 2008 10:16 pm
Hi there! I have a bathtub and both handles are loose on the Moen faucet. By loose, I mean two things:

1. The handle of the cold water lever just came off. I think there is a set screw, but how does this operate?

2. The entire assembly (the two handles and the tap) is now loose, so the entire thing jiggles. How can this be fixed? I don't want any connections to break and suddenly leak inside!

Is it possible this faucet was mounted from underneath the tub and the entire tub needs to be removed to fix this?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
10 upvotes
KELOWNA
You probably just need to tighten the screws on the actual handles (they are probably on the underside of the handle). Meanwhile, if you already have one off and don't have allen keys, take the thing to the store. I learned the hard way, they make metric and imperial (I think those are the right terms) key sets and you have to have the ones that fit your screws or you are just taking another trip to the store. I can't remember what else I needed a key for, but there wasn't one small enough in the sets I have so I realized they carry individual keys where the parts are in the hardwares store. So if you need a smaller one or don't want to buy a set, ask someone who works there where they are.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
if its a two handle chances are the screws are loose, as they screw right into the valve stem (underneath the cap)

usually its a Philips or slotted screw for the ones with the acrylic handles
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton
I'll try to get a pic up here as soon as I can. Is it possible the "hidden" access is from within the tub itself, instead of from the tlile-side?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
HappyGoLucky wrote:
May 5th, 2008 9:54 pm
I'll try to get a pic up here as soon as I can. Is it possible the "hidden" access is from within the tub itself, instead of from the tlile-side?
it is possible....it would be on the tile side, and you would notice bit of a gap in the grout lines

but its very possible that they closed it right in
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
× < >