Tags:
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
518 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Loot Bags for Son's Bday - JK

Hello All,

So the school doesn't allow any food items so All year, i see people giving away stationary and cheap toys which are pretty useless in my opinion
What do you guys do ?

Someone mentioned get a kiddie cone GC from baskin Robbins or similar. ... not sure how true that is Will call them today
27 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22656 posts
9216 upvotes
Ottawa
McDs icecream cone giftcard!
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
518 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote:
May 29th, 2018 12:56 pm
McDs icecream cone giftcard!

Is that what you do?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22656 posts
9216 upvotes
Ottawa
paf wrote:
May 29th, 2018 1:00 pm
Is that what you do?
It is something I will consider, as my kid was a recipient of one a few weeks ago.
My kid's school isn't as picky when it comes to baked goods (provided it is nut free and gluten free); as I've also seen photos of the class enjoying cup cakes, that a parent brought in.
Mar 24, 2015
769 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I gave books once. There's also a kit that I saw containing a plain white tshirt and paint for kids to customize their tshirt.
I do cupcakes too if allowed.
Oct 18, 2015
95 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I shy away from giving gift cards/certificates -- for the kids, all they see is a piece of paper, which is different from a gift they can play with right away.

I love stationery and books, however.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1312 posts
572 upvotes
i hate the dollar store trinkets. So loot bags we have given...

The little Robert Munich books
Gift certificate for $5 from scholastics, assuming the class has scholastics(we ordered off the teacher)
Gift card to marble slab
Those little beans boo key chains
Mini craft kits, you can buy the class sets and break them up into individual
Eraser and stationary
Swimpasses

Just some ideas.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1370 upvotes
Toronto
I can wrap my head around loot bags for a party at your home etc. but it sounds as if you think you need to bring them for the whole class because it’s his birthday, You don’t. I would never expect my kids to have come home from school with a loot bag for a kid whose birthday it was in their class.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15034 posts
5306 upvotes
wirebound wrote:
May 29th, 2018 6:53 pm
I can wrap my head around loot bags for a party at your home etc. but it sounds as if you think you need to bring them for the whole class because it’s his birthday, You don’t. I would never expect my kids to have come home from school with a loot bag for a kid whose birthday it was in their class.
As someone who's child is not old enough for school yet this practice seems absurd. I hope our area of the country does not participate in such strange activities. It's weird for the parents to just get the class a bunch of gifts.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1312 posts
572 upvotes
I just realized it was loot bags for the class not just party in general. I agreed, you don’t really need loot bags. If you want, cute pencils or eraser might be all. Gift cards for the class would be too muc.

If you want to celebrate but have strict food rules, there are other ways. We have had weird rules for food.
- at one point, it could only be healthy items, From a minimum of two food groups, that couldn’t touch, and no baked treats or junk food. So we would send a fruit bouquet that I would make (like the edible arrangements, cheese tray, and little pepperonis, and a box of crackers.
- the the health services said everything needed to be prepared in a commercial kitchen or at school. So we sent a cheese strings, and a fruit tray, box of crackers and a package of meat.
- current school says no baked goods, so we will send an arrangement of cute trays. Thank goodness this school is a tad easier going. The kids in. My girls classeslove the fruit arrangements, and it’s pretty festive.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22656 posts
9216 upvotes
Ottawa
TrevorK wrote:
May 29th, 2018 8:18 pm
As someone who's child is not old enough for school yet this practice seems absurd. I hope our area of the country does not participate in such strange activities. It's weird for the parents to just get the class a bunch of gifts.
Lol, time will tell.
There's nearly a birthday every other weekend.
Thank goodness school is almost done.
Dec 22, 2016
45 posts
11 upvotes
My kid made it through daycare and I now have a drawer full of cute erasers and pencils. Every time they got one, it ended up in their cubby (probably for safety reasons) and they never once cared enough to use them. I think it's a waste but I think everyone gets caught up in feeling obligated that they need to do it since the other kids did the same.
Aug 31, 2005
122 posts
17 upvotes
Hmmm..i am trying to figure out loot bags as well; for a party though not school. I know daycares let you celebrate but thought (public) school restricted treats etc and celebrated children's birthdays all in groups - once a month if im not mistaken.

I also hate the $store toys though sometimes they have good stuff hidden among the junk.

Appreciate to here other parente favorite loot from their kids loot bags.

I think books and gift cards/vouchers are just too costly when you have 20-25 kids to consider.
Jun 11, 2006
142 posts
113 upvotes
crazychick wrote:
May 31st, 2018 1:51 am

I think books and gift cards/vouchers are just too costly when you have 20-25 kids to consider.
You can get 6 readers at Costco for $10. Or sometimes there are offers through scholastic (the ones where you order through your child's class) where you order a set of readers and it works out to $1-$2 a book. You'd have to do that in advance though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)