• Dec 11th, 2018 12:36 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2012
133 posts
13 upvotes
North York

Lost $4,200 GreenON rebate because of mistake from Enbridge Energy Auditor

Greetings,

I installed windows and applied for GreenON rebate.

At the same time I replaced my furnace, AC, appliances and applied for a rebate through Enbridge.

When the HEC Energy Auditor was applying for rebates, I told him that he shouldn't apply for windows through Enbridge as I am doing that via GreenON. Per Enbridge and GreenON Terms and Conditions we can't apply for a rebate for the same improvement through two programs.

The auditor said it's fine and also wrote down on the Questionnaire that he was filling in that I am going with GreenON for windows. I have the copy.

Sometime in August I received a cheque from Enbridge with a lump sum and no details. The amount was within the range that Auditor gave me so I didn't get suspicious.

Around a month ago I learned that GreenON rejected my rebate application because I received the rebate from Enbridge. I went back to the auditor and asked why that happened and he explained that the application wouldn't allow excluding the windows from the application. Does anyone know if this is correct?

They told me that GreenON was confusing and they did all according to instructions. They recommended to contact GreenON and explain the issue and I might get a difference from them of $4,200.

GreenON said that I need to refund the $800 I received from Enbridge and get a letter that I haven't received any rebates for windows so they can process the $5,000.

Enbridge said they don't have this process in place and recommended get back to Auditor as this was their mistake in the first place.

Now the GreenON closed and I lost $4,200 even though I didn't do anything wrong.

I contacted Enbridge Ombudsmen office few times by email but never received a response.

Not sure what are my options here. I would appreciate any advise on how to reclaim the $4,200 that I lost. Thanks.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5503 posts
2297 upvotes
Paris
What they said is true on both accounts. You needed to claim 2 measures for the Enbridge thing. I dont think appliances counted. So it would be furnace/AC and at least 1 window. What he should have done was apply one window to the Enbridge thing, and the rest to GreenON (so presumably you had 10 done and would have received $4,580 back (GreenOn + Enbridge) instead of $5000 for 10 windows (all through GreenOn).

The GreenOn window is not closed as you have submitted and need to provide revisions. Presumably they will have everything approved etc by end of January so your window is not closed.

You need to refund 9 windows of rebate through Enbridge and claim 9 through GreenOn.

With customers in your boat, I typically sold them 10 GreenOn windows plus 1-4 other windows (that didnt need the more expensive glass, though most people opted for it) and split the contracts into 10 GreenOn, then another contract for the 1-4 gas rebate windows.

You need to have your GreenOn contractor change your application to exclude 1 window ASAP, and chase Enbridge to take 9 windows off and refund them that money.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2532 posts
386 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
That's horrible. I'm sorry to hear that happened. Have you tried phoning the ombudsman office? Personally I typically prefer to go the email route as well and avoid talking on the phone but with this kind of money on the line I would try and get a phone dialogue with someone. I feel like a voice communication is more likely to get sympathy from the other party and potentially get some help from them.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2012
133 posts
13 upvotes
North York
Thanks for the response, @Jerico

I also did insulation, sealing, replaced doors, etc, so I definitely did 2+ improvements excluding the windows.

The auditor still applied for them.

I would like to do a refund, but they won't accept it!

Do you know how I can achieve that? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9709 posts
8695 upvotes
Oakville
Sounds like the auditor was a moron. Tell him to resolve the situation or he'll be hearing from your lawyer, though I'm not sure if can you actually sue in this case. Maybe a lawyer will speak up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5503 posts
2297 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 4:34 pm
Sounds like the auditor was a moron. Tell him to resolve the situation or he'll be hearing from your lawyer, though I'm not sure if can you actually sue in this case. Maybe a lawyer will speak up.
Professional incompetence.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jul 19, 2007
238 posts
92 upvotes
Guelph
urartu99 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 3:03 pm
Thanks for the response, @Jerico

I also did insulation, sealing, replaced doors, etc, so I definitely did 2+ improvements excluding the windows.

The auditor still applied for them.

I would like to do a refund, but they won't accept it!

Do you know how I can achieve that? Thanks.

Part of this is just general incompetence on GreenON's part, related to how their system tracks prior rebates. I am in a similar yet even more clear cut situation. I applied for and received rebates from my natural gas company for a furnace, air sealing, a sliding door and skylights. I then had 10 windows replaced and submitted to green on. My green ON submission was rejected because their system detected that I have received rebates from my natural gas company. But, I didn't even apply for ANY window rebates to the natural gas program. At this point I am still waiting for them to reconsider, but it had been three months.

The whole thing is f'd.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5503 posts
2297 upvotes
Paris
Ben311 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 10:13 pm
Part of this is just general incompetence on GreenON's part, related to how their system tracks prior rebates. I am in a similar yet even more clear cut situation. I applied for and received rebates from my natural gas company for a furnace, air sealing, a sliding door and skylights. I then had 10 windows replaced and submitted to green on. My green ON submission was rejected because their system detected that I have received rebates from my natural gas company. But, I didn't even apply for ANY window rebates to the natural gas program. At this point I am still waiting for them to reconsider, but it had been three months.

The whole thing is f'd.
You need to have your contractor file paperwork on you rebate I’d to that effect. They said it was ok to get both, so long as you don’t double dip on the same window.

[OP]
Jun 14, 2012
133 posts
13 upvotes
North York
engineered wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 4:34 pm
It is a shame that in a country like Canada it is easy to lose this kind of money because of someone else and not being able to do anything...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9709 posts
8695 upvotes
Oakville
urartu99 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 11:05 am
It is a shame that in a country like Canada it is easy to lose this kind of money because of someone else and not being able to do anything...
What does that mean? Did you think Canada was some magical unicorn country where there is no incompetence? Like all countries, if you want something done right, do it yourself (or at least hire someone you know is competent).
[OP]
Jun 14, 2012
133 posts
13 upvotes
North York
engineered wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 12:41 am
What does that mean? Did you think Canada was some magical unicorn country where there is no incompetence? Like all countries, if you want something done right, do it yourself (or at least hire someone you know is competent).
Incompetence exists but there should be mechanism to deal with such incompetence which should be put in place by the government.

Running in circles between HEC Energy Auditor, Enbridge and GreenON didn't help.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9709 posts
8695 upvotes
Oakville
urartu99 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 10:41 am
Incompetence exists but there should be mechanism to deal with such incompetence which should be put in place by the government.

Running in circles between HEC Energy Auditor, Enbridge and GreenON didn't help.
Do we really want the gov't to do everything for us? Seek the advice of a lawyer regarding recovering your funds from the auditor. He probably has insurance for events like this.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10410 posts
4817 upvotes
Toronto
urartu99 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 10:41 am

Agreed. There should be a one portal stop shop when it comes to rebates being provided by the government so regardless of whom performs the work, be that Enbridge or company x, they would be able to see that GreenON was also applied, etc... I mean, government does not need to jump through hoops to see that you do x, y, z. Why should the people? It would make it much easier for all parties if the process was streamed lined.
Jul 5, 2004
23506 posts
3055 upvotes
If you're entitled to the money and you can prove incompetence, then sue them. You'll get your money and legal costs back. The government isn't there to protect you from incompetent contractors
[OP]
Jun 14, 2012
133 posts
13 upvotes
North York
Shaner wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 9:40 pm
If you're entitled to the money and you can prove incompetence, then sue them. You'll get your money and legal costs back. The government isn't there to protect you from incompetent contractors
Thanks, that is what I am considering now.