Personal Finance

Lost $700k in romance scam :(

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 3:56 pm
102 replies
Sep 14, 2004
70 posts
67 upvotes
I completely fail to see how this is the banks fault! what if the money was in cash at home under the mattress, would it be Sealy's fault for not preventing money from being stored there?

Why is it that people always look for someone else to blame?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40533 posts
4317 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
a_mighty_engr wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:02 pm
I completely fail to see how this is the banks fault! what if the money was in cash at home under the mattress, would it be Sealy's fault for not preventing money from being stored there?

They lost $700k... gotta blame someone. Probably a self defence mechanism to feel less shitty about ir.

The blame is probably the grief of cancer and his wife passing away...i guess you can blame the human heart. Sometimes it really does delude people into doing crazy things. Of course this example is an extreme one. An outlier.
In this case... He lost his fortune to “sophia”.

But wow... rcmp says $25 million lost in 2017 to romance scams. Thats only the reported ones.
Sep 14, 2004
70 posts
67 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:05 pm
They lost $700k... gotta blame someone. Probably a self defence mechanism to feel less shitty about ir.

The blame is probably the grief of cancer and his wife passing away...i guess you can blame the human heart. Sometimes it really does delude people into doing crazy things. Of course this example is an extreme one. An outlier.
In this case... He lost his fortune to “sophia”.

But wow... rcmp says $25 million lost in 2017 to romance scams. Thats only the reported ones.
I know it's a sad story and I feel really bad for the family.

Maybe the father signed the giving pledge and decided to help someone in need, and the son is pissed that he gave away all his inheritance money.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1670 posts
1532 upvotes
a_mighty_engr wrote:

Is the guy a Liberal?

Sorry, I could not resist :D
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3850 posts
3981 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well, hope he at least got a few nudes out of the 700k. The man lost his wife, diagnosed with terminal cancer of his own... I think at that point, it's really whatever, as long as he's happy(which he probably was).

As for the son that was expecting a big payday, it's too bad you didn't care for your old man before he went.
Jul 22, 2009
866 posts
300 upvotes
Brampton
er34er34 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:33 pm
Well, hope he at least got a few nudes out of the 700k. The man lost his wife, diagnosed with terminal cancer of his own... I think at that point, it's really whatever, as long as he's happy(which he probably was).

As for the son that was expecting a big payday, it's too bad you didn't care for your old man before he went.

some expensive nudes
May 28, 2012
142 posts
67 upvotes
ONT
If the Dad was 87 maybe the bank should have done more to check why he was sending the monies but he was "only" 67. Most 67 year old people are fully competent, many still working...…….
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1536 posts
1071 upvotes
mrct1944 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:45 pm
If the Dad was 87 maybe the bank should have done more to check why he was sending the monies but he was "only" 67. Most 67 year old people are fully competent, many still working...…….
Bank did ask questions but the guy lied:
It says Robert Hogg "told a number of branch representatives that he had purchased land in Malaysia and was building a house," which was why he needed to wire money.
Sounds to me like due diligence was done.
Jun 23, 2017
586 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
a_mighty_engr wrote:
Sadly, the concept of 'personal responsibility' is quickly becoming a fading romantic notion from a bygone era.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1541 posts
795 upvotes
I don't see how it's the banks fault, the dad lied consistently about to the bank. It sucks for the family, but ultimately, it's up to family to keep up with their parents activities to protect them.

That being said, prior to my mother being hospitalized, her behavior was becoming more erratic and really over the years. As a family we knew about, there was not a lot we could do unless we pursed to deem her incapacitated, and the branch manager was nice enough to call me to let me know about some of the bank incidents. They couldn't give me details about her account, but did tell me about some behavior. I thought that was well beyond the call of duty.

Also, I had to take over your accounts due to her losing most mental capacity, the number of questions the banks had to ask and what they made me go through, in order to protect my mother (to ensure I wasn't doing anything funny), made my task so much harder.

I think the banks are damned if they do damned if they don't.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7628 posts
4560 upvotes
a_mighty_engr wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:15 pm
I know it's a sad story and I feel really bad for the family.

Maybe the father signed the giving pledge and decided to help someone in need, and the son is pissed that he gave away all his inheritance money.
Wouldnt you be pissed if your dad gave away $700k to "Sophia" in malaysia?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7628 posts
4560 upvotes
peli33 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:29 pm
Here is a theory on why Seniors are more vulnerable to scams - changes in aging brains:

https://news.usc.edu/135031/senior-scam ... ing-brain/

GoFundMe incoming in 3...2...1?
It's amazing how many people these days cry that they have no money and yet these gofundme's are always packed with donations... people gots the money!