• Jan 11th, 2019 2:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9041 posts
940 upvotes

Lost Luggage

Just a basic general question, if an airline loses your luggage, what are the odds of ever getting it back?

Does it depend on the airline?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1193 posts
443 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:18 am
Just a basic general question, if an airline loses your luggage, what are the odds of ever getting it back?

3 times lost, 3 times found. AC, UA, F9,

=============---------------------==================

A man comes to United registration counter and speaks to an agent:
-- I fly to Atlanta, please, send this luggage to Boston to my uncle,
this box to my cousin in Los-Angeles and this bag to my parents in Denver.
-- What? you fly Atlanta and want luggage sent to 3 other cities ?
-- Yes, why not? you did it last time even without me asking.....

================= ------------------------------------
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4536 posts
613 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:

big ... airport is a one big mess ...
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4536 posts
613 upvotes
tequilla wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:28 am
3 times lost, 3 times found. AC, UA, F9,

=============---------------------==================

A man comes to United registration counter and speaks to an agent:
-- I fly to Atlanta, please, send this luggage to Boston to my uncle,
this box to my cousin in Los-Angeles and this bag to my parents in Denver.
-- What? you fly Atlanta and want luggage sent to 3 other cities ?
-- Yes, why not? you did it last time even without me asking.....

================= ------------------------------------
LOL !
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1598 posts
595 upvotes
Tokyo
Probability is low for it being completely disappear, though it still happens occasionally.

Delayed luggage (e.g. getting it back) happens all the time however.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13168 posts
2671 upvotes
London
Some airline phone apps (American Airlines?) can quasi track bags - so you at least know it made it onto your plane
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7615 posts
2022 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:

There is some odds of getting it back.

We've had lost/delayed luggages at times. Sometimes the airline contacts you to go to airport to get it. Sometimes they deliver to you. Sometimes it's lost/stolen.

There is a large number of people flying, with a large number of luggages checked, a large number of luggages delayed/damaged/lost/stolen. Some wholelly or partially eventually get to their owners after some delays and sometimes not at all.

Depends more on the airport/location, the staff working there, than the airline.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7074 posts
4561 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Been travelling by air for close to 40 years

Tototally lost / stollen = 0
Missing / Delayed = a handful

Usually the missing / delayed bags turn up in the 24 to 48 hour mark.
Often delivered to me wherever I am

Things I have learned as a result (the most important lesson in this thread)

* Arrive to the airport early. Check in / drop bags as soon as you can. The later you leave it, the more likely your bags won’t catch up with you on the plane

* Use common sense when you have to take a connecting flight. Although the airline says that X is enough time... know that the tighter the Arrival of A and Departure of B times are, the less likely your bags will catch up to you

* Plan / Pack everytime as if your bags will be delayed / lost
- Take Pics of your Luggage packed & ready to go... preferably when you drop them tagged by the airlines
- Don’t put valuables in your luggage (heavy stuff attracts thieves attention)
- Put all your absolute necessities (like Meds) in your carry on
- Mix & Mingle your packing ... ie Husband & Wife = 2 Suitcases / 1 each. But don’t put only your stuff in 1 Bag (also a good reason to think out your travel wardrobe to a few basic colours ... Mix & Match vs Outfits)
- Besides Meds & Valuables, add a few essentials to your carry on
(Change of Socks, Undies, Tshirt, Toothbrush... and a Bathing Suit if headed to the sun)
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1612 posts
345 upvotes
Only lost my luggage once, it was sent to me in less than 2 days. i've learnt to keep more than an extra pair of contacts with me at all times.
Jul 8, 2014
201 posts
84 upvotes
AB
my travel card will compensate me $1000 for luggage lost or delayed for 6 hours, so now I actually hope that my luggage is misplaced.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7074 posts
4561 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
damatick wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 4:41 pm
my travel card will compensate me $1000 for luggage lost or delayed for 6 hours, so now I actually hope that my luggage is misplaced.
Which card ?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3597 posts
1232 upvotes
Mississauga
Flew to Lisbon last summer in Air Transat. Checked in at YYZ just in time to hear the entire baggage system in Terminal 3 went down with no ETA for repair. They told us to just “pile the bags over here”. Damn, fully expecting to lose all the luggage in this fustercluck.

Got lucky, our bags made it on the plane. But a couple we met in Lisbon who were on the same flight didn’t get theirs and they didn’t know when their bags would show up.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1305 posts
454 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The total loss is usually a result of

1) theft - especially at U.S. (or some Canadian) airports where the bags are dispensed into an unsecured area (anyone off the street can go in and take i off the belt). An alternate scenario are fellow passengers taking the wrong bag by mistake, discovering it later, and can't be bothered to bring it back to the airport (or even call the airline).

2) labels falling off - tags get ripped off, etc. so the bags are not easily traceable to the owners. That's why you should put your name and contact info INSIDE bags (in a ziploc bag to boot) and take a photo of it to show to agents if necessary

3) airline/airport destroys it - the last time heard about this (not sure if it is true) was when the new terminal (T5) at LHR opened and the baggage handling system promptly fell apart (or outright failed) - 28,000 bags lost on the first day. The piles of baggage (mainly of BA passengers) were so numerous there was no inside storage space and some were put in tents, and when those overflowed, some got wet in the rain, got mouldy and then were burnt.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Oct 23, 2017
544 posts
279 upvotes
GTA West
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 4:26 pm
Been travelling by air for close to 40 years

Tototally lost / stollen = 0
Missing / Delayed = a handful

Usually the missing / delayed bags turn up in the 24 to 48 hour mark.
Often delivered to me wherever I am

Things I have learned as a result (the most important lesson in this thread)

* Arrive to the airport early. Check in / drop bags as soon as you can. The later you leave it, the more likely your bags won’t catch up with you on the plane

* Use common sense when you have to take a connecting flight. Although the airline says that X is enough time... know that the tighter the Arrival of A and Departure of B times are, the less likely your bags will catch up to you

* Plan / Pack everytime as if your bags will be delayed / lost
- Take Pics of your Luggage packed & ready to go... preferably when you drop them tagged by the airlines
- Don’t put valuables in your luggage (heavy stuff attracts thieves attention)
- Put all your absolute necessities (like Meds) in your carry on
- Mix & Mingle your packing ... ie Husband & Wife = 2 Suitcases / 1 each. But don’t put only your stuff in 1 Bag (also a good reason to think out your travel wardrobe to a few basic colours ... Mix & Match vs Outfits)
- Besides Meds & Valuables, add a few essentials to your carry on
(Change of Socks, Undies, Tshirt, Toothbrush... and a Bathing Suit if headed to the sun)
The voice of wisdom here. In addition to the above, I print up additional tags (attached with vinyl transparent pockets and loops) for each bag, showing all our flight numbers & dates, and email and cell phone numbers where we can be contacted during our trip. We have distinctive luggage that is easy to spot on the conveyor, and NEVER a black bag.

Lost my luggage once with Air Canada. My bag was sent to me after a couple of weeks and it was empty except for someone else's dirty shirts. I pay a premium for direct flights when possible, to reduce mishaps in baggage transfers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)