• Nov 25th, 2009 4:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 25, 2007
559 posts
147 upvotes

lost mailbox key

I've looked everywhere and I can't find my keys, I have spares of the house keys but not of the mailbox key (they wouldnt make me a spare).. anyone have an idea of how much it will cost for a locksmith to give me a new lock/keys? I know the property management arent going to help me.

I looked online and people are saying you can replace it yourself but that seems a bit complicated?

Thanks! :mad:
Share:
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
Call your local office of Canada Post, they will deliver 2 spares to your house. No charge. Done that so many times!
;)
[OP]
Oct 25, 2007
559 posts
147 upvotes
are you serious??? Fantastic! Does this apply to apartment buildings?

I have been kicking myself all weekend.. I hate losing stuff.

Thanks so much!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
ukgirl wrote:
Oct 13th, 2008 10:59 am
are you serious??? Fantastic! Does this apply to apartment buildings?

I have been kicking myself all weekend.. I hate losing stuff.

Thanks so much!!
i'm not 100% sure whether or not CP own the mailbox at apartment building...i would assume yes cos of postal code? no harm to try!
;)
Oct 1, 2003
348 posts
5 upvotes
molala wrote:
Oct 13th, 2008 10:54 am
Call your local office of Canada Post, they will deliver 2 spares to your house. No charge. Done that so many times!
If they deliver it to your mailbox? How are you going to open it? ...I'm just being facetious(sp?) :) - couldn't resist. I'm sure they deliver it right to you or something.

Anyways, this is awsome. I only have one key for my mailbox and would like a spare. I'm going to call too. Thanks for telling us.
Dec 12, 2001
810 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
In my building the Super has spares for the boxes. Did you ask your Super if they can help you?
For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
doobievibes wrote:
Oct 13th, 2008 12:41 pm
If they deliver it to your mailbox? How are you going to open it? ...I'm just being facetious(sp?) :) - couldn't resist. I'm sure they deliver it right to you or something.

Anyways, this is awsome. I only have one key for my mailbox and would like a spare. I'm going to call too. Thanks for telling us.
molala wrote:
:)

o..and they would change the lock..so the one you have wouldn't work anymore
;)
[OP]
Oct 25, 2007
559 posts
147 upvotes
I spoke to the super today.. she said its $75 to give me a new lock and key as they dont have any spares... what a rip off.

The thing is its dumb because the locksmiths wont even make copies of those keys so its almost asking for people to lose them if there is only one key and no spares.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
get really tiny allen key and bent paper clip and pick your mail box open.
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
ukgirl wrote:
Oct 13th, 2008 8:44 pm
I spoke to the super today.. she said its $75 to give me a new lock and key as they dont have any spares... what a rip off.

The thing is its dumb because the locksmiths wont even make copies of those keys so its almost asking for people to lose them if there is only one key and no spares.
is your key one of those regular keys or it has a CP logo on it?
;)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3560 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
ukgirl wrote:
$75... what a rip off.
Considering parts, locksmith labour and travel, that's not out of line.

What kind of key is this thing? You need to find a better locksmith; I know of several that stock almost every kind of key blank known to man.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
2542 posts
1592 upvotes
Ontario's West coast
molala wrote:
I have done this too. CP is great for giving you extra keys.
[OP]
Oct 25, 2007
559 posts
147 upvotes
molala wrote:
Oct 13th, 2008 11:15 pm
is your key one of those regular keys or it has a CP logo on it?
I dont know as I lost the key! vicious circle. It was just a little skinny key with kind of rectangular spokes (if you know what i mean - i dont know what to call it.)

My boyfriend used to work as a concierge downtown and he said $75 is really cheap, most people ended up paying around $100 for the locksmith to come out so maybe I should not complain and just learn this lesson.

thanks for all your responses.
Sep 13, 2003
507 posts
27 upvotes
I live in a condo and lost my keys. I got the super to open the lock from the other side and replaced it myself. It cost about ten bucks and 10 mins. It was not complicated at all
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10282 posts
1149 upvotes
Markham
ukgirl wrote:

Does the mail box key say do no copy on it?? if it does not then you can get it copied

cause when I was living in my condo, I had copies made
no problem at all.
× < >