Locked: Lost My Sin Card - What Do I do

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2007 7:58 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 20, 2003
204 posts

Lost My Sin Card - What Do I do

Most likely it is in my house somewhere, but in case it isn't, what are the steps to take when something like this happens.

Thanks.
Share:
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
18 upvotes
call 18002067218 chose option 3, then option zero.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9776 posts
273 upvotes
Does this post count as justification of me being on RFD at work? I did get this information from our website after all :lol:

What should I do if my SIN card has been lost or stolen?If your Social Insurance Number (SIN) card has been lost or stolen, it is important to be aware that someone could try to use your Social Insurance Number.

We recommend that you follow these steps to protect your SIN:

Report the loss or theft of your SIN card to the police. Ask for the case reference number, and the officer’s name telephone number.
Carefully review your bank account, credit card and other financial transaction statements. If anything concerns you, contact your financial institution.
Monitor your mail for any disruption in delivery.
Call Canada’s two national credit bureaus. Ask for a free copy of your credit report and review it for any suspicious activity. You may also wish to see if your credit file should be flagged to indicate that your personal information has been put at risk and may be vulnerable to fraud.
Contact information:

Equifax: 1 800 465-7166
TransUnion: 1 866 525-0262 (for residents of Quebec: 1 877 713-3393)

Contact Service Canada if you suspect someone is using your SIN. Also consult our Web section for more information on how to deal with SIN fraud.

Can I ask for a new Social Insurance Number if I have lost my SIN card or it has been stolen

If it doesn’t appear that your Social Insurance Number (SIN) is being used by someone else, we recommend that you continue using the same SIN rather than asking for a new one.

If we issue you a new SIN, you are responsible for contacting all your financial institutions, creditors, pension providers and employers. Ask them to update their past and current records on your file.

Getting a new SIN will not necessarily protect you from fraud or identity theft. If someone else uses your old SIN as identification and the business does not check the person’s identity with the credit bureau, credit lenders may still ask you to pay the impostor’s debts. Each time, you will have to prove that you were not involved in the fraud.

If, in the future, another person uses your SIN for employment purposes or to receive other taxable income, you will receive a Notice of Reassessment from the Canada Revenue Agency concerning undeclared earnings. This is an indication that your SIN is being used fraudulently. Report this immediately to your nearest Service Canada Centre.

How do I replace my lost or stolen SIN card?To apply for a replacement Social Insurance Number (SIN) card, please see How do I apply for a SIN? (http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sin/apply/how.shtml)
I buy KitKat (the Chocolate) swag, contact me if you have anything to sell with your price!
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
18 upvotes
Feneant wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 2:18 pm
Does this post count as justification of me being on RFD at work? I did get this information from our website after all :lol:

What should I do if my SIN card has been lost or stolen?If your Social Insurance Number (SIN) card has been lost or stolen, it is important to be aware that someone could try to use your Social Insurance Number.

We recommend that you follow these steps to protect your SIN:

Report the loss or theft of your SIN card to the police. Ask for the case reference number, and the officer
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
I lost my SIN card 10 years ago. You never need the card itself, just the number.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22670 posts
868 upvotes
Markham, ON
Impossibles wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 2:27 pm
I lost my SIN card 10 years ago. You never need the card itself, just the number.
you do if you ever go get employment insurance...
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
18 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 2:32 pm
you don't need to present your physical card to apply. It can be done online.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 2:32 pm
Considering I collected EI 4 years ago for ~4 months, I call BS.

You never ever need the card itself.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
18 upvotes
Only way you would need the Card is if you made an error in your ONline application for EI ie) incorrect date of birth or Mother's naiden name. You could get a letter in the mail requesting you go to tyouyr local Service Canada office with your Birth Certificate and SIN card.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22670 posts
868 upvotes
Markham, ON
ClubberLang wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 2:48 pm
you don't need to present your physical card to apply. It can be done online.
don't you need your SIN card once you submit a physical copy of the employment details at the nearest service office?

if not then I'm wrong...I always thought you needed one when you go to the center

Apparently...the SIN card is not a pc of ID...so you dont need to carry it.

BUt if you suspect it is stolen...you should report it...in case someone is using the number.

I stand corrected
Dec 11, 2005
371 posts
be happy, can't commit any more sins.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
4237 posts
113 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 3:09 pm
Apparently...the SIN card is not a pc of ID...so you dont need to carry it.
It is an ID, I show my DL and SIN at the bank when they ask for 2 pieces of ID. I think it's equivalent to your credit card since it has no photo on it.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2004
1973 posts
12 upvotes
Feneant wrote:
Nov 1st, 2007 2:18 pm
So this is where our tax dollars are going.. so lazy-ass gov't employees can surf RFD...
× < >