Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2459 posts
489 upvotes

lost of personal information at the university of guelph

http://www.chch.com/home/item/11564-bre ... university

Thursday, February 14, 2013
Break in at Guelph University
Police say a break-in at the University of Guelph may have compromised the personal information of about 20,000 students.
Fifteen computers and external hard drives were stolen from campus last month during a break and enter. The hard drives had personal details about students including names, addresses, contact information and Social Insurance Numbers. Guelph police and campus police are investigating.

I just received an email from the university of guelph saying they will provide 1 year of credit monitor and we have to opt in for it. What a *****ing joke. Cheap bastards. At the very least it should be provided for all students regardless of whether they opt in or not and it should be for a period of no less than 10 years. I'm considering seeking legal advise.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
"lost of personal information..." Ok.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
wolf30 wrote: http://www.chch.com/home/item/11564-bre ... university

Thursday, February 14, 2013
Break in at Guelph University
Police say a break-in at the University of Guelph may have compromised the personal information of about 20,000 students.
Fifteen computers and external hard drives were stolen from campus last month during a break and enter. The hard drives had personal details about students including names, addresses, contact information and Social Insurance Numbers. Guelph police and campus police are investigating.

I just received an email from the university of guelph saying they will provide 1 year of credit monitor and we have to opt in for it. What a *****ing joke. Cheap bastards. At the very least it should be provided for all students regardless of whether they opt in or not and it should be for a period of no less than 10 years. I'm considering seeking legal advise.
I'd advise you to talk to your student council. Having a bunch of angry students is better than one in terms of getting better credit monitoring.
Jun 8, 2012
442 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, large group of angry students will yield way better results.
Aug 6, 2008
90 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone else here see a connection with the personal information lost by osap?
Jun 8, 2012
442 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Derek182 wrote: Difference is that the OSAP case was due to a person's own negligence. Wasn't really the university's fault that someone broke in and stole the information.
I don't really buy that...

Although it could have been prevented by storing the drive in a locked hidden safe or encrypting the data. When someone slips and falls on ice, you don't say "Well its not my fault it snowed!" It's not the university's fault for the break in, however they do need to take some of the blame for not protecting or having the systems in place to protect such data.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2459 posts
489 upvotes
I have contacted the school for the third time via email and they have yet to respond back to me. It seems like they are just jerking me around. Also the letter I received regarding this matter didn't even have an apology in it which makes it sound like the university is in the right. I want to file a complaint with some government organization. Is there some government organization that oversees and deals with this stuff? If not I may consider seeking a lawyer.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1484 posts
380 upvotes
University Omnudsperson as ^^ stated.

Student Council / Gov't rallies.

B*tch, and b*tch, and you will get a lot more credit monitoring then one meager year.

Just make sure to emphasize the fact that they compromised / lost your SIN #. aka... no good.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)