Off Topic Archive

Locked: Lottery people - quick pick or pick your own numbers?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2011 5:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23275 posts
1434 upvotes
Markham

Lottery people - quick pick or pick your own numbers?

Do people win the lottery more often when picking their own numbers? Or is a random quick-pick ticket just the same?

In my 21 years of living. I've only played once LottoMax and it was a quick pick. Lost $5 right there :(
Share:
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
7978 posts
1180 upvotes
London
It shouldn't matter. But picking your own numbers may get you a bigger jackpot if you win, because people will tend to pick numbers below 32.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23275 posts
1434 upvotes
Markham
Do you guys use the same numbers all the time?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
I pick my own numbers, and they change.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2546 posts
144 upvotes
Quick pick only because it takes too long to fill out those sheets.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
wszeto28 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 10:09 am
Quick pick only because it takes too long to fill out those sheets.

Same for me. It doesn't really make a difference anyway.

The most I've ever won is $20.
:lol:
Sep 30, 2001
25600 posts
4754 upvotes
I use a mix of quick pick and choosing my own numbers on different plays
If possible I also replay the same numbers from draw to draw (and of course our lotto sub uses the same #s throughout)

There is no difference in terms of odds of winning.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2007
3559 posts
253 upvotes
From the Frequently Asked Questions page from [url]www.LotteryGroup.info:[/url]

Which tickets are more likely to win, quick pick tickets or tickets with player selected numbers?
There is no difference in probabilities between quick pick tickets and tickets with player selected numbers. All number combinations have identical probability of winning. This is also why, as stated in an earlier answer, that there is no value in attempting to predict lottery numbers. All tickets have the same probability of winning. Lottery draws are random.

But I heard that quick pick tickets win more often. Therefore are not quick pick tickets better?
The reason quick pick tickets win more often is because most tickets are quick picks. Approximately 70% of all lottery tickets are quick picks and 70% of draws are won with quick picks. There is no difference in the probability of winning between quick pick tickets and tickets with player selected numbers.

Why is it recommended to pick your own numbers?
One should pick one's own numbers when playing the lottery because some numbers and number combinations should be avoided. They should be avoided because they are popular with many players. Playing popular numbers and number combinations causes prizes to be split. In the case of the jackpot, the difference can be between a single ticket winning a $25 million jackpot and 10 tickets splitting the same jackpot. When playing in a group, multiple jackpot winners is something to avoid. Mario's Lottery Groups avoids playing popular numbers and number combinations to maximize the probability of not having to share the jackpot prize with other winning tickets. This strategy also works with the lower tier pari-mutuel prizes. For example, the match 4 prize of Lotto 649 is an average of $70 but varies between $38 and $100 depending if the winning numbers were played by many people. The match 5 prize of Lotto 649 is an average of $2,000 but varies between $800 and $3,000. Whenever Mario's Lottery Group won a match 5 or match 4 prize in Lotto 649, the prize was larger than average because popular numbers and number combinations were not played.

Good luck
Next possible group launch - $85 million Lotto Max jackpot for Sept 16 draw
Mario's Lottery Group Play Thread
Mar 3, 2008
604 posts
261 upvotes
i used to only do quick pick but now I like to pick my own numbers
Think much, speak little, write less.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
I don't play.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2007
3559 posts
253 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 12:13 pm
I don't play.

Is there a "thanks for nothing" button?

Good luck.
Next possible group launch - $85 million Lotto Max jackpot for Sept 16 draw
Mario's Lottery Group Play Thread
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5809 posts
426 upvotes
Mario38 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 10:56 am
From the Frequently Asked Questions page from [url]www.LotteryGroup.info:[/url]

Which tickets are more likely to win, quick pick tickets or tickets with player selected numbers?
There is no difference in probabilities between quick pick tickets and tickets with player selected numbers. All number combinations have identical probability of winning. This is also why, as stated in an earlier answer, that there is no value in attempting to predict lottery numbers. All tickets have the same probability of winning. Lottery draws are random.

But I heard that quick pick tickets win more often. Therefore are not quick pick tickets better?
The reason quick pick tickets win more often is because most tickets are quick picks. Approximately 70% of all lottery tickets are quick picks and 70% of draws are won with quick picks. There is no difference in the probability of winning between quick pick tickets and tickets with player selected numbers.

Why is it recommended to pick your own numbers?
One should pick one's own numbers when playing the lottery because some numbers and number combinations should be avoided. They should be avoided because they are popular with many players. Playing popular numbers and number combinations causes prizes to be split. In the case of the jackpot, the difference can be between a single ticket winning a $25 million jackpot and 10 tickets splitting the same jackpot. When playing in a group, multiple jackpot winners is something to avoid. Mario's Lottery Groups avoids playing popular numbers and number combinations to maximize the probability of not having to share the jackpot prize with other winning tickets. This strategy also works with the lower tier pari-mutuel prizes. For example, the match 4 prize of Lotto 649 is an average of $70 but varies between $38 and $100 depending if the winning numbers were played by many people. The match 5 prize of Lotto 649 is an average of $2,000 but varies between $800 and $3,000. Whenever Mario's Lottery Group won a match 5 or match 4 prize in Lotto 649, the prize was larger than average because popular numbers and number combinations were not played.

Good luck

I remember reading with respect to the OLG in the past, that only 25% of winners were from Quick Picks with the remainder picking their own numbers.

Any truth to this?
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
Mario38 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2011 12:18 pm
Is there a "thanks for nothing" button?

Good luck.

I am just trying to keep this thread fair & balanced, else someone might come from another planet and read this thread and think the whole world plays the lottery.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2132 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
I do quick pick for my work lottery pool, it pisses me off when I see the same numbers appear within the same ticket all the time
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
83 upvotes
I always buy quick picks. One time, I won $50 off a quick pick.
× < >