Off Topic Archive

Locked: Lotto 6/49 winner doesn't have to reveal identity. WTF?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2008 3:58 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes

Lotto 6/49 winner doesn't have to reveal identity. WTF?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/ ... 1-sun.html

I find it to be unfair for the other people that have won the lottery, some have had death threats, have been tracked down privacy invaded and there was even a story of some people getting caught for conspiracy of trying to abduct a couple that won the lottery. Whats the difference here just because your a cop or detective doesn't mean your above the law, you still need to follow the rules.

I don't blame the person for wanting to be anonymous, in my opinion everyone should have the option to not have there privacy invaded if they win but if the rules state the winners need to be made public they need to be followed. Hopefully that will change and everyone will have the option to have there ID kept confidential.
Share:
28 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34334 posts
1477 upvotes
Toronto
oh gawd...
They say the exception is for prison guards and law enforcement that do undercover work.....
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18422 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
You didn't post the most important part of the article:

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

WINNIPEG -- A Winnipeg man who is about $3 million richer after winning part of a Lotto 6-49 prize will get to keep his identity secret, lottery officials have decided.

Normally, the Western Canada Lottery Corp. provides the media with winners' names, place of residence and a recent photograph.

The purpose of the publicity is to show the public the lottery is above board.

But corporation spokesman Andrea Marantz says an exception is made in the case of people such as prison guards and detectives who do undercover work.

"It's basically if anyone can show proof there could be a legitimate threat against them, that they would be in danger in any way for having their identity be released," said Marantz.

"It's a very, very limited group of people."
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2725 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
The easiest way to not get your picture not published is to send your attorney when you win.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
Well, overall they should keep making the names of winners public, because it could lead to bad corruption if they could hand out checks under the table. They need to have some discretion though.

The average lotory winner doesn't face much more risk than the average millionaire. If someone is working as an undercover cop though, obviously having their real name and photo posted in the paper would put them in much more danger. I'm not totally sure why a prison guard would need protection, unless they feel they are at a higher risk to be taken hostage or something like that(but who the hell would keep working as a prison guard anyways after winning a few million?)

The other big reason I could see someone needing to hide their identity is if they were trying to hide from someone who wanted to do them harm. I'm thinking witness protection program people here, women who have run away from abusive homes, etc.

Like they said, this would be a very limited number of people. If you are scared that somoene might want to hurt you just because you won the lottery, don't play the lottery. That risk comes with the territory. If there are extenuating circumstance though, you have to take them into account.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15403 posts
1249 upvotes
Langley
I don't think that lotto winners should be revealed. I don't really worry about security, I'd be more worried about everyone you've ever known asking for a handout.

But for what it's worth, we all should be aware of the rules when we play the game.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7536 posts
375 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2008 5:35 am
I don't think that lotto winners should be revealed. I don't really worry about security, I'd be more worried about everyone you've ever known asking for a handout.

But for what it's worth, we all should be aware of the rules when we play the game.
+1. Totally agree w/ you.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
i6s1 wrote:

I think for a bachelor like myself, I would welcome the publicity. It's like a roll call to all the hot looking gold diggers.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1577 posts
30 upvotes
I think people should have the option if they want there pics. Also if they did not have the scandals that have been revealed of late I do not think anyone would have to be concerned if they were above board. Also as stated above why not just post the names for those who opt not to want their pics posted.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1495 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
put on a paper bag with two holes when taking pictures?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15329 posts
561 upvotes
Niagara Falls
i6s1 wrote:

It's to help re-assure the public that the winnings aren't going to friends and family of the Lottery corporation.

I can see why there is room to protect somebodies identity, but imo that should exclude the person from playing, no protect who they are.
Stop being lazy RFD and fix the auto subscription nonsense. This is a damn discussion forum.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
29 upvotes
Tdot
no offence but most jackpot winners seem to goto SENIORs and old folks! :confused:
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2007
1362 posts
6 upvotes
toronto
Emancipated wrote:
Nov 25th, 2008 2:07 pm
I think for a bachelor like myself, I would welcome the publicity. It's like a roll call to all the hot looking gold diggers.
bring out the cougars! :D
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2344 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
From the OLG website:
Publication of win
Prizes of $10,000 and over are considered major wins. Once your prize is approved for payment, you will be interviewed by a Prize Centre staff member to complete the publicity requirements associated with your major win. This is a light-hearted interview to help us understand the unique story behind your win.

OLG publicizes ALL winners of $10,000 and over in a news release and on our website for approximately 30 days. This release will include your name, city of residence and details of your prize. You will be asked to sign a form acknowledging your understanding of this condition.

You will also have the option of being featured on our website and other advertising mediums as a Featured Lottery Winner.
So basically, your name and city will be published, but things like your picture are only published at the winner's discretion.

Check the winner's list on the OLG website and you'll see that actually most of the major winners (prizes of more than $10k) do not have their pictures published.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3199 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
Pretty good stuff! If I were to win a big ticket, I would change my name before going out to pick it up. After I got the ticket, I would let them print my name and city. After that I would go back and change my name to what it originally was. Simple as that!

I also agree that people's photos should be used only IF the winner wants to. I would think that their name should also be made available only IF the winner wants. The talk about preventing corruption is BS. All winning tickets should be signed - a good way to prevent fraud.
× < >