Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6862 posts
226 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
May 1st, 2017 8:05 am
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tor ... e34815214/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/l ... -1.4092830

I do find it interesting LVMH is going after 2 primarily South Asian flea markets but is NOT going after Pacific Mall. They don't want to upset the Chinese but Indians are fair game? Follow the money...
Why are you saying LV doesn't want to upset the Chinese? Did you read the whole article? It clearly says they reached out to China about this already and landlords are liable for the infringement in China.

Stop spreading the hate.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13729 posts
1361 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:

I do find it interesting LVMH is going after 2 primarily South Asian flea markets but is NOT going after Pacific Mall. They don't want to upset the Chinese but Indians are fair game? Follow the money...
This doesn't make a lot of sense. If they intentionally omitted Pacific Mall to not upset Chinese people that would mean they're trying to send a message that it's okay for Chinese people to produce and buy counterfeit LV stuff they see no benefit from. This actually harms them beyond just those sales, as it dilutes their brand and reduces real LV from a high end label to 'that counterfeit purse your aunt has 6 of' like what happened to Coach.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23191 posts
1031 upvotes
Markham, ON
i must be ignorant...i dont recall fake LVs that much of an issue at Pacmall. But what do I know...i see some stores carry used LV bags sold on consignment...
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
667 posts
329 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
May 1st, 2017 11:06 am
i must be ignorant...i dont recall fake LVs that much of an issue at Pacmall. But what do I know...i see some stores carry used LV bags sold on consignment...
But that mall is notorious for counterfeit goods.... they get raided once a year or so then days later more fake stuff goes for sale. Maybe they've been careful not to sell LV stuff recently?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4383 posts
510 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:

Hey OP. Maybe next time you should *read the articles you link* before accusing people of racially targeting one set of people and leaving another group alone.

Your CBC link clearly references a case involving a Pacific Mall vendor and fake Chanel.
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/20 ... bGUAAAAAAQ

All the luxury companies try their best to contain counterfeit operations. Not just because it reduces their profits and dilutes the brand, but also because they are often tied to abhorrent labour operations and organized crime rings.

The Chinese these days are the world's #1 consumers of luxury goods, of course no luxury brand wants to upset them. But those consumers also have no interest in seeing the proliferation of counterfeits. Shutting down illegal products actually supports--not deters--that spending.

As far as these articles are concerned...I have a hard time with the notion of holding landlords responsible. I hope Canada follows Australia's lead. It seems like a bad slippery slope.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
667 posts
329 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
May 1st, 2017 12:02 pm

The Chinese these days are the world's #1 consumers of luxury goods, of course no luxury brand wants to upset them.

As far as these articles are concerned...I have a hard time with the notion of holding landlords responsible. I hope Canada follows Australia's lead. It seems like a bad slippery slope.
They're also the world's #1 producers of counterfeit goods with no sign of that ever being stopped at source. So my point is, China does not respect international trademarks, but the owners of those trademarks (LVMH, Chanel etc) don't want to upset that big market either. So they suck it up and just go after the low-lying fruit -- poor little flea markets in places like Toronto.

I agree with you on landlords. Go after the producers, middlemen/distributors, and retailers, not the owner of the leased premises where the retailer set up shop. Otherwise, if a Rogers store ripped me off I would be able to sue Cadillac Fairview/RioCan/Oxford/Ivanhoe Cambridge or whoever owns the mall where the store is. Definitely the bad slippery slope you call it.
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1969 posts
145 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Its true tho but have u been in those Fli markets? the counterfit is so damn ovious that the stores make no effort to conceal the fact their selling counter fit goods, products, movies, purses, shirts, etc. they just sell them and they know its illegal, they probably could even put up a bill board and use the word counter fit and no one will care, If people want to stop piracy and counterfit, you gotta start somewhere, if people know they can get away with it, they will so start charging them, make the penaltys harsh, its illegal ITS ILLEGAL. if you break the law, you go to jail, and if ur the property management, you MAKE DAMN SURE your tenants are not breaking the law. everyone should be punished for crimes, not just the retailer
Thanks
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
667 posts
329 upvotes
Stronzo1 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 1:43 pm
if you break the law, you go to jail, and if ur the property management, you MAKE DAMN SURE your tenants are not breaking the law. everyone should be punished for crimes, not just the retailer
So using my Rogers store example, if a Rogers employee is caught dealing drugs in the Yorkdale parking lot or food court, Oxford Properties should be punished?
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1969 posts
145 upvotes
Wood Bridge
drugs are not counterfit, purses are. we are simply refering to counterfit
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2454 posts
261 upvotes
Ottawa
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
May 1st, 2017 2:53 pm
So using my Rogers store example, if a Rogers employee is caught dealing drugs in the Yorkdale parking lot or food court, Oxford Properties should be punished?
By your example, if your "Rogers store" was a clear and obvious front for drug trafficking, and Oxford was clearly aware of it but did nothing, then yes they should be punished.

You can't compare an honest business that may have a "bad apple" or questionable policy with a store whose main purpose is clearly and obviously to break the law (in this case, selling counterfeit merchandise).
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1969 posts
145 upvotes
Wood Bridge
but thats the problem the whole mall is a bag of rotting apples, its not just one, its the hole bushel
Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4564 posts
352 upvotes
Scarborough
probably this is just a smokescreen.

make the purses cheap and maybe people will buy the real thing?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
2488 posts
154 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
May 1st, 2017 2:53 pm
unfair comparison. But yes any employee bringing disrepute to company and bad behavior in public or Facebook post can be punished. and/or fired.
In your case he is "caught dealing drugs" so he is gone in instance and also in jail.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017