• Apr 30th, 2018 4:35 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
514 posts
129 upvotes
GTA

Low calorie dry dog food recommendations please

Hi everyone,
My vet has been pushing her diet dog food on me for two years now and am no way shape or form going to pay for it. My lab is a bit chubby and I have switched her to a lower calorie or diet food and it stabilized her weight but didn’t shed the 10 pounds.

Does anyone have any dry food recommendations? I’m not going raw and we are testing for thyroid issues.
Ideally it would readily accessible for purchase in stores across the Golden Horseshoe (Hamilton, burlington, and Oakville)

Thanks!
2 replies
Apr 25, 2011
823 posts
363 upvotes
British Columbia
The simple solution is to just feed less. It doesn't matter the food, just cut back. If the dog is sable at that weight then try cutting back 1/4 more. You dog will be hungry but that's what happens when losing weight.

Also exercise more... Go to off leash parks and throw the ball around daily, go for bike rides with your dog, etc. For most dogs a short walk around the block does not cut it daily, even if that is all they get and are used to that type of routine.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5440 posts
1174 upvotes
Mississauga
Karala wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 1:38 pm
The simple solution is to just feed less. It doesn't matter the food, just cut back. If the dog is sable at that weight then try cutting back 1/4 more. You dog will be hungry but that's what happens when losing weight.

Also exercise more... Go to off leash parks and throw the ball around daily, go for bike rides with your dog, etc. For most dogs a short walk around the block does not cut it daily, even if that is all they get and are used to that type of routine.
Exactly this. Once dogs hit full-size and are adult age, they need less food than in their growing phase. Furthermore, whatever you were feeding and whatever the daily routine was, equaled a certain weight. So you have to feed less, burn more calories, or do both - all things being equal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)