low milk supply

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 8:56 pm
Tags:
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
227 upvotes

low milk supply

Anyone have similar issues? What did you do and how did it turn out? I'm told babies can drink from sippy cups at some point too
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
17 replies
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
I guess the question I would have is how do you know? Is it something you assume or has a lactation consultant already seen you? Any breastfeeding clinics around you?
Aug 5, 2008
808 posts
602 upvotes
At the point when my son was super distracted, I realized my milk supply had dropped a lot but wasn't low though. I was staying at home, so I would offer the breast all the time, as much as possible. I took fenugreek and Mother's milk tea (I hate oatmeal lol). I would also power pump until the supply was to my satisfaction. I would do this every month or two. After 12 months, I stopped trying to maintain my milk supply. We are still okay at 15 months.
Last edited by cutey130 on Oct 13th, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 25, 2016
81 posts
30 upvotes
springdays wrote: Anyone have similar issues? What did you do and how did it turn out? I'm told babies can drink from sippy cups at some point too
Breast pump between feedings; let it continue pumping for 2 minutes after the milk has been drained to stimulate more production. I second that you should go see a lactation consultant. I also found that being hydrated really helped boost the supply.

I'm not sure I understand your question about sippy cups - are you asking when babies transition to sippy cups? Or whether babies can drink breastmilk from a sippy cup?
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Go see a lactation consultant to make sure the proper feeding technique is being done. Some women have trouble at the beginning and that is when they second-guess themselves and supplement with formula...which ends up making it worse in terms of supply.
Jan 2, 2012
117 posts
35 upvotes
I didn't have much milk when my daughter was born, and she wouldn't latch at all which didn't help. After a couple visits to breastfeeding clinics and my daughter struggling to latch, I had to pump around the clock to give her something. Unfortunately the latching issues never went away and after a month I stopped trying and now just exclusively pump for her. I was pumping 8 times a day for 20-30 minutes each time at the beginning, and now 4 months later I have a very healthy supply. I'm down to 5 pumps a day, and I produce approximately 48 ounces per day, which is a slight oversupply. I use to get a bit more but some bouts of mastitis destroyed my milk supply in my left breast and I'm just slowly getting it back. The only unfortunate part of having such a oversupply is the engorgement and the higher risk of mastitis.

If you have having supply issues, get a hospital grade pump, and pump pump pump when you aren't nursing your LO!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1191 posts
249 upvotes
see your pediatrician, or I should say let the pediatrician see your child and they can tell you what you should be doing.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
springdays wrote: Anyone have similar issues? What did you do and how did it turn out? I'm told babies can drink from sippy cups at some point too
You can get dad to help facilitate lactation, if both of you's are kosher with that. Or as someone else mentioned, a breast pump.
Why can't we all just get along?
May 12, 2009
814 posts
380 upvotes
I has to stop eating oatmeal as it gave me over-supply issues. Maybe give porridge a try? There are other foods that are recommended as well.
Aug 31, 2014
379 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I second going to the International Breastfeeding Clinic - which is the Dr Newman clinic - worked out really well for us. They are good at troubleshooting the various issues, which may not be supply, could be the latch, could be techniques etc. Aside from fenugreek like the other mentioned, there's also a prescription drug you can take to increase supply. But I would let the doctors and lactation consultant figure what is best in your scenario.
Apr 4, 2012
627 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
Tsanger wrote: I second going to the International Breastfeeding Clinic - which is the Dr Newman clinic - worked out really well for us. They are good at troubleshooting the various issues, which may not be supply, could be the latch, could be techniques etc. Aside from fenugreek like the other mentioned, there's also a prescription drug you can take to increase supply. But I would let the doctors and lactation consultant figure what is best in your scenario.

Would also recommend them, we went there a couple of times, they are very knowledgeable and tried numerous strategies, unfortunately nothing worked. So Dr. Newman prescribed the Domperidone, luckily it helped my wife, still had to top up with formula.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
I hate to say this, but a half a pint of Guinness a day will help get the supply flowing.

Totally your call.
Oct 28, 2016
117 posts
20 upvotes
My very first question is, how old is your child? If he/she is younger than 6 months then you need to be more sincere about this issue. But if not (I'm assuming the age is more than 6 month) then you can try different milks by consulting with your doctor. Babies should not drink Cow's milk if they are not old enough. Try to keep that in your mind. All the best.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
Have you consulted an expert who has diagnosed this? My spouse is a public health nurse and breasfeeding is one of her specialties. She encounters mothers *all the time* who believe their milk supply is low, when 19 times out of 20, there's nothing wrong with milk supply at all. Sometimes the problem is just technique, sometimes it's not understanding the differences between bottle feeding and breast feeding. But often it's nothing more than the mother's self doubt that her body is capable of supplying enough milk, when everything's actually going fine.

Do get help from an expert.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Secret ingredient is millet. Grab it at ethnic grocery stores. Make porridge with it. Supply will never be short if you consume millet every day.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Nov 17, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
So with my first I thought I just didnt have milk. I also didn’t have much support from the health care of breastfeeding world. My second one I was much more determined to give it a lot more. I had a midwife who took care of me in my pregnancy and as soon as she (‘my daughter) was born my midwife helped me latch and gave me way more tips that I expected. She noted a tongue tie but said that doesn’t always reduce the milk supply. she referred me to a Lactation consultant around 2weeks just for my sanity despite excellent weight gain and signs of normal milk supply. My
Midwives also then tested me at some point for something to rule out it wasn’t my thyroid. AnywY, long and short the tongue tie wasn’t a issue. I took herbs that my midwives recommended me and they might have worked. They offered me a prescription too because I was an absolutely loony bin with my desire to exclusively nurse. The midwives sooo debunked my need to nurse and feel like an adequate mom. I really think it was my technique or my lack of with my first that made me have such low amount.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)