• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2013 4:06 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 2, 2003
969 posts
21 upvotes

low salt cottage cheese

where can i find low salt cottage chees or no salt cottage cheese.
the stores near me no frills and food basics have salt roughly 12-15% of daily levels.
thanks
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2486 posts
210 upvotes
junkone wrote:
Jun 8th, 2012 12:39 pm
where can i find low salt cottage chees or no salt cottage cheese.
the stores near me no frills and food basics have salt roughly 12-15% of daily levels.
thanks

Still following the faulty science of low sodium diets? Perhaps you should review why you're following such advice. And if it's a medical professional, you should ask yourself 1) are they fully up to date on the latest nutritional (or even medical) research across the board or 2) are they also promoting the food pyriamid as a healthy diet, the same food pyramid written entirely by food industry lobbyists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opini ... wanted=all

That being said, I'm not sure where you can get low sodium cottage cheese, I've never heard of such a product. A quick google search shows that "Lucerne Dairy" makes such a product, but its not available in Canada. I saw it NYC the last time I was there.

Western makes a pressed cottage cheese with no salt added. Don't know whre to get it, but you can find out more here:
http://www.westerncreamery.com/en/nutrition.html

The last option would be to make it yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5410 posts
171 upvotes
BC
Make your own... its one of the easiest things to make, and tastes so good. The texture is a little different, but taste is the same, but much more fresher.

Here is an example of how easy it is, just omit the salt.

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-cot ... eese-46595

This link has a video,

http://adventuresinbaking.blogspot.ca/2 ... heese.html
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Nov 2, 2003
969 posts
21 upvotes
I work with a nutritionist and she recommends low sodium as natural food has all sodium i need.
just out of curiosity, why do i need 20% sodium in a product like cottage cheese except as a preservative. i am interested to find out why your opinion differs from my nutritionist.

0xffff wrote:
Jun 8th, 2012 4:57 pm
Still following the faulty science of low sodium diets? Perhaps you should review why you're following such advice. And if it's a medical professional, you should ask yourself 1) are they fully up to date on the latest nutritional (or even medical) research across the board or 2) are they also promoting the food pyriamid as a healthy diet, the same food pyramid written entirely by food industry lobbyists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opini ... wanted=all

That being said, I'm not sure where you can get low sodium cottage cheese, I've never heard of such a product. A quick google search shows that "Lucerne Dairy" makes such a product, but its not available in Canada. I saw it NYC the last time I was there.

Western makes a pressed cottage cheese with no salt added. Don't know whre to get it, but you can find out more here:
http://www.westerncreamery.com/en/nutrition.html

The last option would be to make it yourself.
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2697 posts
71 upvotes
Etobicoke
junkone wrote:
Jun 9th, 2012 5:52 pm
I work with a nutritionist and she recommends low sodium as natural food has all sodium i need.
just out of curiosity, why do i need 20% sodium in a product like cottage cheese except as a preservative. i am interested to find out why your opinion differs from my nutritionist.

you can find the western pressed cottage cheese at superstore, metro and i'm pretty sure at most food basics as well. my dad buys this stuff for the low sodium as well and it's pretty tasteless but it's surprisingly good if you put a little jam/marmalade on top.

as for the the issue about salt not being bad for you, i would take your nutritionists advice instead of this internet pseudo-science based on shoddy articles. if it was good for us then food would naturally come salty and we'd be drinking salt water.
Mar 17, 2009
193 posts
115 upvotes
thepersianguy wrote:
Jun 9th, 2012 8:53 pm
if it was good for us then food would naturally come salty and we'd be drinking salt water.
You sir, are hilarious. I award you 1 internet for your cunning display of mock stupidity.

While the OP indicates this knowledge I think I should point out for others that salt is an essential element for human life.

Anyway,
junkone wrote:
Jun 9th, 2012 5:52 pm
Why promote low salt? because salt raises your blood pressure and hypertension is associated with a lot of bad things. The logic is thus: low salt = lower blood pressure = lower risk of stroke etc.
Unfortunately that logic is flawed because correlation does not prove causation and the past hundred years of research has yet to demonstrate that lots of salt is bad.

Assuming you eat the average amount of salt, If you were cut consumption in half, you would reduce your blood pressure by 2mmHg (4-5mmHg in hypertensives).
To give meaning to those numbers, a person whith hypertension (stage 1) is 20mmHg above normal, stage 2 is 40mmHg. As you can see, 2mmHg is trivial (and is supported by the clinical trials)

Most nutritionist/dietitians do not review/analyse/scrutinize the scientific data but merely pass along "official" dogma.
The dogma of the day is to practice "preventitive medicine". While the clinical data shows salt to be insignificant, officials believe that by recommending low salt, there will be a significant benefit in overall public health. (no statistically significant benefit as of yet)

Your body is perfectly capable of regulating its sodium levels and maintain homeostasis without your help.

Also I would not consider the % Daily Value a good representation of what you should eat in a day.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
18 upvotes
I buy Hood and or Crowley brand low sodium cottage cheese. I have to cross the border to find it.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
45 upvotes
Keelie wrote:
Jun 8th, 2012 5:38 pm
Make your own... its one of the easiest things to make, and tastes so good. The texture is a little different, but taste is the same, but much more fresher.

Here is an example of how easy it is, just omit the salt.

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-cot ... eese-46595
This is not a cottage cheese. This is what they call "ricotta" (well, almost, ricotta is cooked longer) in Italy, "tvorog" in Slavic languages, "paneer" in India, "qurut" among Turkish people. Here in Canada it is known as "baker's cheese". Cottage cheese, I believe, made with some rennet, so taste/texture is slightly different.

That being said, I love baker's cheese and you can find it in most GTA groceries. Look in Kosher or Eastern European departments.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5410 posts
171 upvotes
BC
NorthYorker wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 10:04 am
This is not a cottage cheese. This is what they call "ricotta" (well, almost, ricotta is cooked longer) in Italy, "tvorog" in Slavic languages, "paneer" in India, "qurut" among Turkish people. Here in Canada it is known as "baker's cheese". Cottage cheese, I believe, made with some rennet, so taste/texture is slightly different.

That being said, I love baker's cheese and you can find it in most GTA groceries. Look in Kosher or Eastern European departments.
The only real difference from store bought is the texture... rennet will make the curds bigger... and where I live its impossible to find. But this is still cottage cheese.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2879 posts
242 upvotes
Ask your nutritionist how much biochemistry and physiology she had to do to get her degree, and if everything she learned was simply taught to her by OTHER nutritionists. Do you see the fallacy?

Without getting into the sodium debate (because frankly, we are all responsible for our own health and it's not for us to convince you otherwise), the Western brand is available everywhere. All chains carry it. It just isn't on the shelves with the other cottage cheeses but close by. It's in a brick form that is shrink wrapped with a pale yellow label I think.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
45 upvotes
Keelie wrote:
Jun 15th, 2012 8:20 pm
The only real difference from store bought is the texture...
I feel that cottage is both creamier (whole substance) and harder (each separate curd) in the same time. Then again, it might be my personal nitpicking, I grew up in culture which idolizes "baker's cheese". For me, even quark is almost separate product :)
Sibica wrote:
Jun 17th, 2012 11:30 am
the Western brand is available everywhere. All chains carry it. It just isn't on the shelves with the other cottage cheeses but close by. It's in a brick form that is shrink wrapped with a pale yellow label I think.
I believe that color of wrap is different, depending on name of a product ("pressed cottage cheese", "baked cheese" etc.) and fat content. Wrap can be greenish, bluish, yellowish. The stuff if still good.

COSTCO stores in Ontario carry very decent "pressed cottage cheese" from MC Dairy. 0.5% fat content, $9.50 per kilo, very little (if any) salt.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
18 upvotes
I found quark fresh cheese. No salt added. It is very similar to a greek plain yogurt or a sour cream without high fat content.

I believe Liberte brand has a new cottage cheese out but I have not seen it on store shelves, yet.
× < >