Home & Garden

Low water pressure due to something wrong with the water softner?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 11:31 am
[OP]
Nov 27, 2011
1 posts
MARKHAM

Low water pressure due to something wrong with the water softner?

My house started to have very low water pressure to a point that there was not enough water to shower all of the sudden on Monday. But the pressure is back to normal when I let the water to bypass the water softener or put the softener into diagnostic mode. I called the person who installed the softener and he said it could be because the screener in the softener is dirty or something wrong in the parts of the softener which could cost $100 to $300 to fix just for the labour (warrany only includes the parts). My softener is excalibur and only 3 years old. Anyone has similar experience or advice regarding the problem or the price?

Thanks in advance!
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2655 posts
444 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
crystallo0922 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:24 pm
My house started to have very low water pressure to a point that there was not enough water to shower all of the sudden on Monday. But the pressure is back to normal when I let the water to bypass the water softener or put the softener into diagnostic mode. I called the person who installed the softener and he said it could be because the screener in the softener is dirty or something wrong in the parts of the softener which could cost $100 to $300 to fix just for the labour (warrany only includes the parts). My softener is excalibur and only 3 years old. Anyone has similar experience or advice regarding the problem or the price?
Thanks in advance!
I don't have a direct answer but here's some info i've found out over the years.
The water softener is a big tank full of small resin beads. When brand new the water can flow through at a rate that doesn't affect your water pressure.

If your water supply has dirt/grit/stuff in it, the resin beads act like a filter and all that crap will get stuck in with the resin. over time this will cause blockage and you get lower water pressure. There's no easy fix for this other than replacing all the resin.

Also, when the resin beads get really old (like over 13 years) they might start to break down. They actually get soft and can form a gelatinous mass inside your tank. That also leads to low water pressure. This will happen slowly over time. you'll notice slow decrease in pressure. And usually it's worse right after a regeneration cycle. The fix is to replace all the resin. This whole job will probably be $300-600 depending on your tank size.

if you have a sudden pressure loss i doubt it's either of those. sounds like the control valves at the top have gotten stuck or something. never had to do a repair on that part of mine before.