Art and Photography

Lower Mainland Engagement + Wedding Photographer recommendations and experience pls

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2012 5:28 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
217 posts
5 upvotes

Lower Mainland Engagement + Wedding Photographer recommendations and experience pls

We are getting married next year summer. It has been a hit and missing in looking for a local photographer here. Can someone shed some lights or tips into what to look for in a professional wedding photographer? Do past samples prove anything? I mean he could be only posting the good ones and hide the bad ones. No offense to the pros here.

Things I look for in my photos:
- Elegance, Quiet Atmosphere (like a world with only two of us), Slow moving, Vintage, Stunning (wow from the viewers), Grand, Splendid, Unique, Special, Sharp, Bright, Clear, Happiness, Funky, Love, Touching, Moment Capture.

I am not very good in describing the style I look for, please bare with me. My budget is around 4K to 6K with the high end to include attire rentals. We are open minded and easy going, willing to work with the photographer to achieve great results.
10 replies
Nov 22, 2009
433 posts
46 upvotes
Markham Ontario
What to look for in a photographer?

Reliability, consistency, value alignment..

You can ask a potential photographer to see a complete wedding collection... or at least 200-300 from a wedding. This will give you an idea of what to expect. Any wedding photographer should be willing to show you a full wedding.

As far as the style you are looking for, I will pm you a name who I think may align well with what you are envisioning.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2781 posts
574 upvotes
Including attire rentals? Not sure if the high end ones include attire rentals...never heard of that!

but PMing you anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2781 posts
574 upvotes
bwield wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 8:46 am
Any wedding photographer should be willing to show you a full wedding.
Maybe, maybe not. Privacy issues possible.

Best way to shop for a photog if you want that reliability etc is a referral.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
95% of our business is based upon referrals so that is what I suggest you do, however I sent you a PM with our contact information =)

I would be more than happy to help.
Nov 22, 2009
433 posts
46 upvotes
Markham Ontario
Privacy issues should only be in the very rare circumstances where a client is not willing to sign the model release and will pay extra to retain the copy right information.

For all other clients the photographer will retain the rights to the images. I ALWAYS suggest seeing full weddings when anyone asks me about wedding photographers.

I also always show potential clients of my own full sets. It also helps manage expectation, so they can see what to expect. Most people have never seen what a set of 500 images from a wedding will look like.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4237 posts
800 upvotes
Richmond Hill
We used David and Sherry Buck for our wedding this past January.
http://www.davidbuckweddings.com

They are a great husband and wife team, I can't say enough how much we enjoyed working with them. We first met them at one of the wedding shows, fell in love with their personalities and their work, and haven't looked back since. They are down to earth, an amazing couple, awesome communication (I swear there are times when they can read my mind and know exactly what to do), and able to take your ideas and wants and spin off of them for tremendous results. Many of the other studios and photographers we spoke with at the wedding shows did not give us the feeling that they really cared or would be heavily invested into our wedding.

I'll give a great example, that hopefully, demonstrates their brilliant brainstorming ideas and flexibility to produce an unexpected result.

After booking with David and Sherry last year, we had told them that we only had July and August to do the engagement session. We wanted our engagement shoot to be whimsical, sweet, elegant, and usually there are a few locations around the GTA that lends itself to those themes. As the end of July quickly came and went, we hurriedly spoke with them to try to plan the session for August. It was really difficult to get everyone together simply because of scheduling - they had other shoots, weddings, we had our own activities. So they suggested the week before Labour Day. We said that we couldn't do that week because we would be in Montreal visiting relatives. :( . So we had a conundrum. David, then suggested, hey, do you guys want to do your engagement shoot in Quebec City? We thought that was a brilliant idea. It solves the scheduling problem, and the romantic atmosphere of Old Quebec City would be perfect. We brought along props, costumes, and had an amazing time with our engagement shoot.

I think the key for any wedding is that the connection between the photographers and the bride/groom has to be there. Otherwise, they will end up taking photos that would not meet your expectations. Whoever you end up with must be able to exceed your expectations, and that can't be accomplished if there's no connection. They are, after all, your eyes during your wedding day.

Good luck and congrats!

Edit: just noticed that OP used the GVR icon on thread, but location has not been set. Even though David Buck is based out of Southern Ontario, they do travel.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4296 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Remember to ask for a look at their most recent photographs and not just the ones on their page, which are generally the better ones. Also ask if the main photographer is the one covering your wedding and if there will be a second shooter. Finally, ask about the gear. Even though it's kind of common sense...you may get one that's like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7RzcdDcMs
Board games!!!!
Aug 22, 2012
1 posts
MONTRÉAL
Hi crazyproton
Congrats on getting wedded. igphotography.com is a professional and an upcoming wedding photographer.
If you are looking for phenomenal pictures, then you should definitely check it out.