• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 12:32 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 15, 2018
449 posts
558 upvotes
Edmonton
wJUvA7ZjUFZ20WkwWGhxy wrote: No, in the example above seller already signed a Listing Agreement with commission at 5% and 2.5% so no cash back applies in this example. My question is about how a buyer can save money when buying a house without an agent and why a seller would pick their offer.
A buyer does not save money because they are unrepresented. They save because they are a good negotiator and understand the market well. Not a very likely scenario due to asymmetric information as buyers do not have access to the same databases realtors can access for comparables and historic listing info. A seller would not care whether the buyer is represented or unrepresented as they still pay the same commission. The only one who wins is the listing agent who ends up collecting the full commission without having to split it with a buyer agent.
Edmonton area Realtor
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Here in Ontario at least, we'd all be better off if we got rid of the current real estate system and went with an auction system instead. Here, of late, almost every listing is more of a "suggested starting price" with the aim of getting multiple bids at a higher amount. Oh, and if this doesn't occur, they up the asking price.

At least in a real auction, you can adjust your offer seeing what the other offers are. I'd like to see the end of real estate agents entirely which are basically running a scummy cartel. My agent doesn't see it this way. ;-)
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
canuckstorm wrote: A buyer does not save money because they are unrepresented. They save because they are a good negotiator and understand the market well. Not a very likely scenario due to asymmetric information as buyers do not have access to the same databases realtors can access for comparables and historic listing info. A seller would not care whether the buyer is represented or unrepresented as they still pay the same commission. The only one who wins is the listing agent who ends up collecting the full commission without having to split it with a buyer agent.
The info is no longer asymmetric. Have you been sleeping under a rock the past few years? Comparables and historical info are insanely easy to get for free now.

Who wins is the seller who didn't use an agent and saves the 2.5% +/-.
Feb 15, 2018
449 posts
558 upvotes
Edmonton
eonibm wrote: The info is no longer asymmetric. Have you been sleeping under a rock the past few years? Comparables and historical info are insanely easy to get for free now.

Who wins is the seller who didn't use an agent and saves the 2.5% +/-.
We have come a long way in terms of availability of info but there is still asymmetric info as these third party sites showing historical info are not accurate to the level of CREA databases. If you wanna rely on the such sites, I say buyer beware. Also, not all markets are served by such sites.
Edmonton area Realtor
Penalty Box
Mar 27, 2004
10493 posts
9009 upvotes
Toronto
bungol does not have the complete info you need to make a informed decision. you are not saving by trying to go to a listing agent yourself to buy a place. period. get an agent to give you a rebate as a buyer.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
wJUvA7ZjUFZ20WkwWGhxy wrote: This makes sense. So in short, there is no way for the buyer to win. Buyers may as well use agents then. Sellers should not use an agent and save 2.5% +/-.
Only if you are very diligent in following all the steps an agent would and as I described, ie listing on MLS, flowery description, staging the house, giving a decent buyer agent commission etc. Then if the house doesn't sell you lower the listing price as do all top agents when the house doesn't sell.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
canuckstorm wrote: We have come a long way in terms of availability of info but there is still asymmetric info as these third party sites showing historical info are not accurate to the level of CREA databases. If you wanna rely on the such sites, I say buyer beware. Also, not all markets are served by such sites.
And given the market changes so quickly and listing prices don't seem to mean much the usefulness of having more granularity on historical prices is marginal at best.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
oasis100 wrote: bungol does not have the complete info you need to make a informed decision. you are not saving by trying to go to a listing agent yourself to buy a place. period. get an agent to give you a rebate as a buyer.
Um, this thread is about listing not buying. Create your own thread if you want to give tips on using an agent to buy...
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1223 upvotes
Hi,

I'm learning a lot from your post. I'm trying to sell my condo in Toronto Downtown. Would like to try listing it on my own

Can you suggest any flat fee MLS listing agencies?

Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)