Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowes

Alaskan 500g Windshield De-Icer $4.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2017 10:31 pm
Dec 23, 2012
371 posts
241 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Alaskan 500g Windshield De-Icer $4.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
January 18, 2017
Retailer:
Lowes
I went to Lowes at North Etobicoke to buy Alaskan windshield de-icer tonight and found that they are on sale for $4.99, however the website doesn't show the sale price, probably in store only.

Update: Online price adjusted to $4.99 after put it in the cart, thanks to martydxb for the update.
Images
  • 20170116_175505.jpg
Last edited by kgkuan on Jan 16th, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
134 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Would it not be cheaper to pour the windshield washer fluid from a 4L jug (even not on sale at $3 a jug) into a spray bottle?

500g = 0.5L

Even if a 4L jug is $4.99 ... you get 8 times the volume ... 500ml x 8 = 4L ... you have the same effectiveness on your frozen windhshields as the Alaskan windshield de-icer.

It makes more sense economically for the consumer to get a 4L jug of the blue windshield washer fluid (-40℃) and pickup a spray bottle from your local dollar store.

How difficult would it be to pour contents from one container to another?

It saves money and you get more bang for the buck!
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7848 posts
9211 upvotes
Vancouver
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: Even if a 4L jug is $4.99 ... you get 8 times the volume ... 500ml x 8 = 4L ... you have the same effectiveness on your frozen windhshields as the Alaskan windshield de-icer.
The Alaskan deicer is concentrated methanol, probably 90% or higher (I didn't bother to look up the MSDS). Your typical gallon of -40C washer fluid is around 50% methanol vol/vol and the rest is water.

If I did the stoichiometry correctly, the washer fluid has about 50% more methanol by weight, but it's in diluted form.

If you're in Winnipeg, probably get the can. Toronto, get the washer fluid.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4603 posts
257 upvotes
Burnaby
Been doing this for years now. However I don't even bother wiping it. I just spray it then get back in car and the wipers do the rest.
cmag wrote: For the DIY RFDers: STOP SCRAPING: How to really defrost your windshield - The Weather Network

Haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment on effectiveness. Not sure how quickly it would work on heavy ice, but could be handy even just for not-heated side view mirrors, backup cameras, etc. that you can't scrape easily.

Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
6222 posts
694 upvotes
Quebec
cannot keep in car (freezes, then pressure is gone forever) mostly useless imo
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
cmag wrote: For the DIY RFDers: STOP SCRAPING: How to really defrost your windshield - The Weather Network

Haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment on effectiveness. Not sure how quickly it would work on heavy ice, but could be handy even just for not-heated side view mirrors, backup cameras, etc. that you can't scrape easily.

where do buy that alcohol for cheap..dollar store?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jun 5, 2008
681 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal, QC
What is this for? Because that video is kinda funny. There isn't even ice on that windshield.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Tried the last time my windows were frozen and it didn't help at all. Or maybe it did, but I didn't find scraping any easier.

I bought two cans before when they were giving airmiles and were selling for $5.99.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
This was on sale till the 14th (i think) on the website, the OP's store is probably just clearing it out and left it on sale.
That rubbing alcohol trick works on frost but not ice, if you have 2mm or thicker actual ice you will need bottles of rubbing alcohol, and who knows if its even safe for paint/clearcoat contact.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
or just park in the garage, not sure why no one does this, theres around 50 houses on my street, all have attached double car garages, and maybe 5 houses actually park in the garage, the rest use it to store junk.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
rocking23nf wrote: or just park in the garage, not sure why no one does this, theres around 50 houses on my street, all have attached double car garages, and maybe 5 houses actually park in the garage, the rest use it to store junk.
I have no garage and have noticed the same thing, if i had one the car would be in it.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: I have no garage and have noticed the same thing, if i had one the car would be in it.
i live near Edmonton, we get -30s overnight, i havent had to plug in my car once in the 5 years i have had a garage, my garage never drops below zero.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
rocking23nf wrote: i live near Edmonton, we get -30s overnight, i havent had to plug in my car once in the 5 years i have had a garage, my garage never drops below zero.
You are fortunate
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
4018 posts
4409 upvotes
GTA
kgkuan wrote: ... however the website doesn't show the sale price, probably in store only.
Its online as well once you put it in the cart, I just checked and did a pick up order.

Thanks for the tips everyone else on alternatives, will consider.

Also dont forget GCR or topcashback (3.6% USD :) ) for pickup orders.
Dec 23, 2012
371 posts
241 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I used it this morning and it worked, took me only 2 minutes to remove the ice on all windows. After sprayed it on my windshield, the ice did not melt at first and I thought it wasn't working. Then I took my snow brush out and just one push all the ice shattered, so I just brushed the ice off. It did save me lot of time to scrape the ice and for $4.99 I think it is worth to purchase.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11678 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
For anyone in the west, I noticed that Costco has the 3 pack on for $12.97 this week.
May 7, 2016
484 posts
426 upvotes
Be careful mixing your own alcohol. The -40 windshield fluids that you can usually buy everywhere have the maximum alcohol concentration before you start damaging your paint. Just spray that liquid and you should be fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)