Tags:
None
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
679 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Good. I've always disliked Rona, rarely shopped there when it was directly across the street. And when Rona bought out the local home hardware, stopped going there too.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4111 posts
1500 upvotes
Global Village
Sign of the economic times. Too many competitors, not enough demand, some of the players will either be sold or go under.

more of the players in this space need to wake up and start selling online directly to customers.
Jun 12, 2010
664 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto/Santa Monica
Less competition = worse for consumers
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1051 posts
593 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Well, this should quiet the Lowes doubters that were predicting they would pull a Target and leave Canada. Will likely be many more foreign takeovers of Canadian companies with the sad state of our Loonie.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22523 posts
4365 upvotes
Waterloo
I'm just surprised at the 100% premium, wow..
$24/share over closing price of $11.77

Lowe’s takes another stab at buying Rona in $3.2-billion deal - The Globe and Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e28531490/
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14664 posts
2736 upvotes
Toronto
Does this mean some Lowes stores planned for opening in former Target locations will now be cancelled? (assuming those stores would now be too close to a Rona)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1534 posts
403 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Another interesting, but unsurprising takeover.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33517 posts
7536 upvotes
Ottawa
Lowes buy Rona
In my area the Rona store was dying because service was bad and the products it carried were not varied enough. I rarely went there any ore so I am not surprised.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lowe-s- ... -1.3431463
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2178 posts
742 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 9:05 am
Lowes buy Rona
In my area the Rona store was dying because service was bad and the products it carried were not varied enough. I rarely went there any ore so I am not surprised.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lowe-s- ... -1.3431463
I would have guessed you lived in my Neighbourhood. 2 of the 3 Rona stores within reasonable driving distance from me have closed down recently. I'd be glad to have 3rd one changed to Lowes.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14664 posts
2736 upvotes
Toronto
Warden & Eglinton (Scarborough, Ontario) is a good example where I could easily see a closure happening.
There's a Rona and a Lowes practically side by side.
The Staff @ Rona could easily, simply be relocated to the Lowes @ Danforth & Victoria Park where Target used to be...that is, if the plan is still to open in select former Target stores...
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Where my GodFadda lives, their used to be a Rona and Lowe's. The Rona went out of business and closed up shop, as well other near by Rona's also closed up shop. The area has a huge population, and there was still a gap to fill so a Lowes finally opened up shop in that neighbourhood. No one really cared about Rona, it wasn't doing well, it was not advertising properly either.
Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2538 posts
619 upvotes
Scarborough
:(

There's one Lowes n one Rona practically back to back in Scarborough. There's no way that the employees will be retained by Lowes...

I guess the buyout is to penetrate the Quebec market for their(Rona) presence in Ontario seem to be in shambles.