• Apr 15th, 2016 2:01 pm
Tags:
None
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Not to mention, its all about having Celebrity endorsement. Home Depot has Mike Holmes who uses their products on his show and does not censor their logos. The bald guy, Brian Baulmbler, uses Lowe's products on his show, and is on their radio and tv commercials all the time. Rona? they have nooooo body.
Thanks
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24265 posts
1530 upvotes
Markham, ON
RIP...it was inevitable....

all three HD, RONA, LOWES have so little traffic...especially RONA.

I expect a lot of locations will close.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1347 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
I wonder what's going to happen in Erin Mills Rona store, as a Chinese supermarket seems to be in the process of converting big chunk of this Rona store.
May 28, 2012
10276 posts
2429 upvotes
Saskatoon
Hopefully, they will keep the staff on from our local Rona. They actually knew what they were talking about. The only Lowes in Saskatoon is clear across town from me, and Rona is a five minute drive. It would work out well for them to keep that location since their competitor (HD) is only a few minutes away. I've only been to Lowes once, and it seemed like a ghost town compared to Home Depot. Finding the right location is key.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16515 posts
2195 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 9:05 am
Lowes buy Rona
In my area the Rona store was dying because service was bad and the products it carried were not varied enough. I rarely went there any ore so I am not surprised.
I agree, Lowes has some nice products that are differentiated from Home Depot. What is Lowes going to do with the non-superstore Ronas?
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
It was only a matter of time after the Teamsters lobbyists...huh sorry I mean Quebec government killed the deal in 2012. Incompetent unionized workforce (which is the reason I never shopped there) is what killed Rona and by eliminating that Lowe's can thrive.

Those who think Rona employees will transfer over are dreaming. Companies acquire businesses not businesses and their problems.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11533 posts
4861 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 9:27 am
Warden & Eglinton (Scarborough, Ontario) is a good example where I could easily see a closure happening.
There's a Rona and a Lowes practically side by side.
The Staff @ Rona could easily, simply be relocated to the Lowes @ Danforth & Victoria Park where Target used to be...that is, if the plan is still to open in select former Target stores...
agreed.

We already saw this a few years ago when the Building Box closed (I think they were bought by Rona).
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16513 posts
1541 upvotes
Thornhill
I typically found the Rona stores so ghetto - a big warehouse annexed to an old house or something. Wished there was a Lowes closer to me.

I hope they only keep the good Rona employees. Hope the rest don't start whining like the Zellers employees when Target bought the buildings.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16513 posts
1541 upvotes
Thornhill
mike229 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 7:02 am
Less competition = worse for consumers
Rona was never any competition for HD or Lowes:
- prices were generally higher
- stores were disorganized and seemed like hacks
- prices were inconsistent across stores
- of the product I've bought there, some had horrible quality

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Jun 2, 2012
52 posts
6 upvotes
MONTR
This is bad news :(

I'm in Montreal and they have a lot of small hardware shops. They provide a lot of jobs, at the different stores/warehouses and HQ. I know a lot of stuff came from China, but they did try to have some local/canadian stuff also, and used Canadian distributors. Not sure how Lowes is goign to affect this.

Sad to see a Quebec/Canada grown company be bought out.

They were not that bad, at least here in Montreal. Hopefully they keep most of the stores. But I agree, there are too many HD/Rona/Reno-Dépot around.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33546 posts
7540 upvotes
Ottawa
Samwfive wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 9:42 am
:(

There's one Lowes n one Rona practically back to back in Scarborough. There's no way that the employees will be retained by Lowes...

I guess the buyout is to penetrate the Quebec market for their(Rona) presence in Ontario seem to be in shambles.
Quebec Reno Depot owns Rona. They just re-named their Ontario stores to Rona.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9no-D%C3%A9p%C3%B4t

Lowes and Home Depot will not move into Quebec as the cost of turning everything to French will outweigh the profits they could make. Reno Depot was trying to sell Rona anyway.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14674 posts
2741 upvotes
Toronto
Samwfive wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 9:42 am
:(

There's one Lowes n one Rona practically back to back in Scarborough. There's no way that the employees will be retained by Lowes...
Again, as I've said, they could easily be relocated to Victoria Park & Danforth, since that IS one of the Targets that was supposed to become a Lowes.
I honestly do not know if that's still the plan though.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14674 posts
2741 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 10:13 am
agreed.

We already saw this a few years ago when the Building Box closed (I think they were bought by Rona).
Maybe. Rona definitely bought Revy, I know that much!
Mar 6, 2012
688 posts
162 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 10:36 am

Lowes and Home Depot will not move into Quebec as the cost of turning everything to French will outweigh the profits they could make. Reno Depot was trying to sell Rona anyway.
We already have Home Despots (as one of my colleague likes to call them, they are one of our biggest North American customer and have actually caused his old job to shut down; a bath and cabinet maker) in Quebec. Service wise I agree with most of what has been said here, its much easier to get help from Home Depot staff than from Rona or Reno Depot staff. Here in Quebec though, Rona and Reno Depot seem to have more and higher quality choices than Home Depot. We have a Reno Depot and a Home Depot within walking distance from my work and many times I've started at Home Depot, got the information I needed but they didn't have what I needed so I ended up walking across the street and finding exactly what I wanted.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 10:36 am

Home Depot is alive and well in Quebec with 22 locations and has been there for at least 15 years.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain