Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] CRAFTSMAN 243cc 26-in Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower $799 plus $100 gift card (Reg. $1199) Oct. 10-16

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2019 10:34 am
Oct 31, 2015
80 posts
27 upvotes
Island
I got my credit email and am waiting for a pick up date. I hope it's in a box. That way I can put it together and not have to redo if some after school kid threw it together. Been around powersports industry for many years and seen lot's of incorrectly assembled equipment/products. I am curious if the stator on it is big enough to run hand warmers, as I may decide to put some on if it is.
Sep 23, 2005
304 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, so I'm feeling a bit stupid now...

I just received the snowblower and put it together. I could have sworn that the description on Lowes website said that it had power steering, but now the website says it does not. I can confirm that it indeed does NOT have power steering.

Was anyone else under the impression that this model came with power steering or was that just my bonehead mistake?
Oct 3, 2018
39 posts
37 upvotes
lostinpangea wrote:
Oct 27th, 2019 2:17 pm
Ok, so I'm feeling a bit stupid now...

I just received the snowblower and put it together. I could have sworn that the description on Lowes website said that it had power steering, but now the website says it does not. I can confirm that it indeed does NOT have power steering.

Was anyone else under the impression that this model came with power steering or was that just my bonehead mistake?
I had similar impression that this is power steering model but actually it's not. I realized it later once I saw the model. Lowes product description did mentioned it in specification that it has power steering mode.
Sep 23, 2005
304 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
macmachine wrote:
Oct 27th, 2019 5:05 pm
I had similar impression that this is power steering model but actually it's not. I realized it later once I saw the model. Lowes product description did mentioned it in specification that it has power steering mode.
So did you buy it? I'm concerned how hard it will be to manoeuvre a 200+lb snowblower without power steering. I've only had a small electric snow blower before, so I don't have any experience with something this big.
Oct 3, 2018
39 posts
37 upvotes
lostinpangea wrote:
Oct 27th, 2019 9:07 pm
So did you buy it? I'm concerned how hard it will be to manoeuvre a 200+lb snowblower without power steering. I've only had a small electric snow blower before, so I don't have any experience with something this big.
Yea, I havent returned it. I plan to use it as it is now. They should have specified this earlier, manoeuvring will be little tough but I still want to give it a try!
Sep 23, 2005
304 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
macmachine wrote:
Oct 27th, 2019 10:09 pm
Yea, I havent returned it. I plan to use it as it is now. They should have specified this earlier, manoeuvring will be little tough but I still want to give it a try!
After speaking with one of the store managers, he's offered to give me the same dollar-value discount off any snowblower I want, and pickup the old one and drop off the new one at no extra charge.

Now I'm in a quandary as I'm trying to decide between the Craftsman that I received, or switch to a Cub Cadet (https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-snow-b ... ine-834511) . They're both made by MTD Gold, so should be similar quality. The differences I see are:

Craftsman:
- 26" vs. 24" (actually, I prefer smaller as my garage is full and my driveway not too big)
- 243cc quiet engine vs. 208cc regular engine ( I don't "need" the power, but quiet is nice)
- airless tires (can't go flat)

Cub Cadet:
- Power steering (the feature that was supposed to come with the Craftsman)
- Hand warmers
- Cast iron gear box (more durable, better bearings)
- air-filled tires (better traction)
- +$80

Any snowblower experts out there that can provide an opinion?

Also, if anyone else wants to make a similar exchange due to the advertising error, I can pass on the contact info of the Lowes manager who has been incredibly kind and helpful. I find it very rare to get good customer service these days, and really appreciate how he has treated me.
Sep 23, 2005
304 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
I just got off the phone with MTD Gold (the people I got when I called the Cub Cadet phone number - lol!) to ask about the details. (BTW - they also answered my questions about the Craftsman! lol)

lostinpangea wrote:
Nov 1st, 2019 8:16 am
- 243cc quiet engine vs. 208cc regular engine ( I don't "need" the power, but quiet is nice)
This won't make any practical difference as they always put in engines that are of greater power than they expect will be needed for a given size. They have never had a call complaining of lack of power. Perhaps a sales job, but the guy seemed very honest. But, it is a noticeably quieter engine.

lostinpangea wrote:
- Power steering (the feature that was supposed to come with the Craftsman)
- Hand warmers
- air-filled tires (better traction)
Apparently, these features make a huge difference, especially on a sloped, tight driveway like mine.

lostinpangea wrote:
- Cast iron gear box (more durable, better bearings)
False! The Lowes website is wrong again. It comes with the regular aluminum gear box.

But, I think I'm convinced to switch to the Cub Cadet.
Oct 3, 2018
39 posts
37 upvotes
lostinpangea wrote:
Nov 1st, 2019 8:38 am
I just got off the phone with MTD Gold (the people I got when I called the Cub Cadet phone number - lol!) to ask about the details. (BTW - they also answered my questions about the Craftsman! lol)

This won't make any practical difference as they always put in engines that are of greater power than they expect will be needed for a given size. They have never had a call complaining of lack of power. Perhaps a sales job, but the guy seemed very honest. But, it is a noticeably quieter engine.

Apparently, these features make a huge difference, especially on a sloped, tight driveway like mine.

False! The Lowes website is wrong again. It comes with the regular aluminum gear box.

But, I think I'm convinced to switch to the Cub Cadet.
That is some great information, thanks for sharing. would you mind sharing the final price for Cub Cadet? Just want to compare the price that I paid for the craftsman, that will help determine how much extra I have to pay for Power Steering model.

I got 20% off on top of the sale price for craftsman, final price I paid was $722.30 including tax for it. Delivery extra which came to $45 as I have Lowes Contractors Card.

Thanks in advance
Sep 23, 2005
304 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
How did you get the extra 20% off?!?

I don't have the final price yet, but it should be:

$1279 - $400 (discount on the Craftsman) - $75 (online promo code) + tax. Then I got a $100 egift card with the Craftsman which I get to keep (and will use to pay for the Cub Cadet). The net difference from the Craftsman should be $80 + tax.

I paid $718.12 net for the Craftsman (see post #10 for maths).

I also got it shipped to home for $80, but they shipping company screwed up so I got that refunded.
Oct 3, 2018
39 posts
37 upvotes
lostinpangea wrote:
Nov 1st, 2019 9:37 am
How did you get the extra 20% off?!?

I don't have the final price yet, but it should be:

$1279 - $400 (discount on the Craftsman) - $75 (online promo code) + tax. Then I got a $100 egift card with the Craftsman which I get to keep (and will use to pay for the Cub Cadet). The net difference from the Craftsman should be $80 + tax.

I paid $718.12 net for the Craftsman (see post #10 for maths).

I also got it shipped to home for $80, but they shipping company screwed up so I got that refunded.
There was some coupon code when I made the purchase that allowed the price to come down to 640 after the coupon code. Here is the break up

Price 799
Discount with coupon code - 159.80
GST/HST 83.10

Order Total = 722.30

$100 coupon code was provided to me later for another purchase.

Please PM me the store managers contact info, power steering mode with extra $80 is totally worth it.

Thanks
Sep 23, 2005
304 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
macmachine wrote:
Nov 1st, 2019 9:59 am
There was some coupon code when I made the purchase that allowed the price to come down to 640 after the coupon code. Here is the break up

Price 799
Discount with coupon code - 159.80
GST/HST 83.10

Order Total = 722.30

$100 coupon code was provided to me later for another purchase.

Please PM me the store managers contact info, power steering mode with extra $80 is totally worth it.

Thanks

That's an insane deal! All the 20% coupons I found would only work on regular price items. I wish I had that one!

I'll PM you the manager's contact info once I get everything finalized, which will probably be early next week. I hope it works out!