[Lowe's] Craftsman Lawn Mower 160cc Honda Engine - $170

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 6:41 pm
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4669 posts
1482 upvotes
Debtario
Ok, I caved. Thanks OP. From the pics it doesn't look much different than the poulan pro mowers that are stocked at Costco, probably MTD made too. Lots of plastic on those, but hey. Also don't care for self propelled, so this is a win for me.

This is replacing my current craftsman eager 1 4.5hp. I'll play around with the old one if I have time
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
3052 posts
1611 upvotes
Canada
Reviews are beyond terrible. Remember, junk at a low price is still junk.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
1877 posts
1435 upvotes
GTA
kiasu wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 5:01 pm
Does it has the muchimg from the side? Like cut the grass until timy pieces and spread back to the lwn..sorry not sure what is the right term to describe
It's call side discharge and it doesn't state that it has it in the description.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
2415 posts
1117 upvotes
hiker007 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 4:20 pm
Good price but the Review seems to terrible, maybe that is why is that on clearance sale.
grantz wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 5:14 pm
Reviews are beyond terrible. Remember, junk at a low price is still junk.
325 reviews on Lowes.com are mostly all very positive.
Nov 4, 2010
151 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't forget another big 1% from Rakuten!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3678 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 5:01 pm

Does it has the muchimg from the side? Like cut the grass until timy pieces and spread back to the lwn..sorry not sure what is the right term to describe
tew wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 5:27 pm
It's call side discharge and it doesn't state that it has it in the description.
@tew is correct. There is no side discharge. Only rear to the bag. If you take the bag off, it will mulch.
I didn't try mulching this year because of the rain / growth patterns we had with respect to my schedule.
If you are getting different credit scores from different sources please post them here:
Comparing the consumer accessible credit scores
Nov 23, 2014
85 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto, ON

When VTEC kicks in on your Honda engine!
Dec 15, 2017
96 posts
104 upvotes
Tashkent
Thanks OP, pulled the trigger!
Aug 15, 2009
471 posts
248 upvotes
Montreal
tunda11 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 3:23 pm
It's a Honda engine, and i've heard nothing but good things about hondas. I just ordered one, but I'd be interested in reading more reviews.

It's a Honda it doesn't mean zero flaws. I heard the 1.5l turbo is POS. But it's not the place to talk about it...

Anyways it's a good deal. I was tempted to buy one but I can't seem to find it locally at RONA head office 🤨
Oct 26, 2001
562 posts
107 upvotes
Saskatoon
I bought this mower from Rona early in the summer, it worked great all summer.
Way smoother and quieter engine than my old Craftsman with a 190cc B&S was, even when new. Super easy to adjust height too.
Works a little hard in deep wet grass, since I only mulch now it's going to work harder anyways, but it's fine for a regular yard.
I wanted one without the side chute so I could get right up against the fence and bricks we have.

Would definitely buy again.
Aug 29, 2018
189 posts
100 upvotes
RedRooster wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 7:18 pm
I bought this mower from Rona early in the summer, it worked great all summer.
Way smoother and quieter engine than my old Craftsman with a 190cc B&S was, even when new. Super easy to adjust height too.
Works a little hard in deep wet grass, since I only mulch now it's going to work harder anyways, but it's fine for a regular yard.
I wanted one without the side chute so I could get right up against the fence and bricks we have.

Would definitely buy again.
There's a 190cc self propelled craftsman also on sale for $100 more. Engine is MTD not Honda. Seems like it's worth it for self propelled up medium slopes, no? Any further thoughts?
Nov 25, 2015
90 posts
92 upvotes
Arva, ON
tunda11 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 3:23 pm
It's a Honda engine, and i've heard nothing but good things about hondas.
While Honda does in general make good motors, a fair number of these 160cc engines develop ring problems and blow smoke. Probably somewhat due to poor maintenance, although this doesn't seem to happen as often on B&S or Tecumseh engines, which I'm sure don't see any better maintenance.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4669 posts
1482 upvotes
Debtario
No pickup email yet, called brantford and they said they can't locate the product in the store, doesn't bode well. There were 2 in stock whe I ordered, now zero.

Going to order at another store with more stock just in case this falls through.
6200cc wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 7:58 pm
Probably somewhat due to poor maintenance, although this doesn't seem to happen as often on B&S or Tecumseh engines, which I'm sure don't see any better maintenance.
My old craftsman with a tecumseh engine has seen zero maintenance in 30 years apart from oil and filter changes, only last year I had to take off the carb for cleaning and a stuck float. My neighbours OTOH have been going through mowers every few years.
Last edited by M1K3Z0R on Dec 1st, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"