• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 5:01 pm
[OP]
Jul 26, 2012
43 posts
28 upvotes
London

[Lowe's] Delta FL Basement subfloor underlay $40.95 REG. $66.99

Great deal on anyone looking to pick up this underlay!
Stack with 10% off $100-400 or 15% off with $400+

Don't forget Ebates for 1% back also
68 replies
Apr 12, 2008
735 posts
137 upvotes
Interesting product.

For someone like me who will get a new build with an unfinished basement, is this a good product to put down on the concrete? I'm looking for options (such as foam mats). My only worry about this in particular is that it says "Creates a sealed vapor barrier subfloor that prevents moisture rise". I think I need to let the concrete breath, otherwise I'm trapping all the moisture? Is this the case?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3450 posts
874 upvotes
Edmonton
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:32 am
Interesting product.

For someone like me who will get a new build with an unfinished basement, is this a good product to put down on the concrete? I'm looking for options (such as foam mats). My only worry about this in particular is that it says "Creates a sealed vapor barrier subfloor that prevents moisture rise". I think I need to let the concrete breath, otherwise I'm trapping all the moisture? Is this the case?
We built our basement with this stuff 10+ years ago, it seemed like pretty good stuff. Topped with quiet walk felt, and then laminate. Floor is never overly cold and never seems damp. Its like an egg carton so it has gaps for the concrete to breath. It was really easy to install.
Apr 12, 2008
735 posts
137 upvotes
U4IA wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:39 am
We built our basement with this stuff 10+ years ago, it seemed like pretty good stuff. Topped with quiet walk felt, and then laminate. Floor is never overly cold and never seems damp. Its like an egg carton so it has gaps for the concrete to breath. It was really easy to install.
Thanks for your input. How long did you wait for the concrete to settle before putting it on ? I'm just wondering for a new build if I should wait a while before putting this on
Sep 4, 2009
86 posts
17 upvotes
Newmarket
Expires Jan 16...also if you order on line and spend $50+ you will receive a $25 prom code
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11862 posts
1315 upvotes
Kanata
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:41 am
Thanks for your input. How long did you wait for the concrete to settle before putting it on ? I'm just wondering for a new build if I should wait a while before putting this on
I put it down in my new build home about 16 months after moving in. I didn't want to finish the basement too early, if there were issues.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1026 posts
216 upvotes
Winnipeg
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:32 am
Interesting product.

If your new build is not yet built - you could confirm that they will be putting poly under the concrete floor (which I believe is code these days). That would prevent a lot of moisture from wicking up through the concrete. You could also look into the pros and cons of having foam insulation put down *under* the concrete as well... to slow down heat loss through the floor.... and also foam applied on the outside of the basement walls. Concrete always 'wicks' moisture - so even with the poly and foam - there will be some moisture that is going to come through especially in the first couple of years when the concrete is curing and drying out. I believe the subfloor is set up that any moisture that does come up will migrate to the edge of the subfloor where there is no moisture barrier - which might be for example where your basement floor drain is located... but could also be at the walls where the subfloor ends. I wonder if that would lead to rot /mold of the wood wall studs unless they are somehow protected. I think these days they call for poly wrapped around the bottom plate to protect the wall stud bottom plate.

Your basement concrete walls also will wick moisture - even with the old school 'damp proofing' (black tar coating sprayed on the outside). These days I believe the code requires a more robust 'waterproofing' - like Delta MS - but I am not totally up on today's codes.

You may also want to wait a couple of years before finishing the basement - to allow the concrete walls and floor to fully dry out... and so you can spot any structural defects in case they happen.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3450 posts
874 upvotes
Edmonton
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:41 am
I cant recall, but it was a few months. We had issues with our build so the basement was poured and cured for months before the rest of the house was finished. When they build new houses though and the basement is fully finished, they certainly arent waiting months and months so I wouldnt think theres any issues.

The only reason to wait is more for any issues in finishing the basement would usually come from you wanting to ensure there are no issues that you want warranty to cover. We had a friend finish his basement, and then found a leak months later where someone had put a nail through a sump discharge, so it would just randomly weep water and took months to actually see the result.
Apr 12, 2008
735 posts
137 upvotes
careh wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:56 am
If your new build is not yet built - you could confirm that they will be putting poly under the concrete floor (which I believe is code these days). That would prevent a lot of moisture from wicking up through the concrete. You could also look into the pros and cons of having foam insulation put down *under* the concrete as well... to slow down heat loss through the floor.... and also foam applied on the outside of the basement walls. Concrete always 'wicks' moisture - so even with the poly and foam - there will be some moisture that is going to come through especially in the first couple of years when the concrete is curing and drying out. I believe the subfloor is set up that any moisture that does come up will migrate to the edge of the subfloor where there is no moisture barrier - which might be for example where your basement floor drain is located... but could also be at the walls where the subfloor ends. I wonder if that would lead to rot /mold of the wood wall studs unless they are somehow protected. I think these days they call for poly wrapped around the bottom plate to protect the wall stud bottom plate.

Your basement concrete walls also will wick moisture - even with the old school 'damp proofing' (black tar coating sprayed on the outside). These days I believe the code requires a more robust 'waterproofing' - like Delta MS - but I am not totally up on today's codes.

You may also want to wait a couple of years before finishing the basement - to allow the concrete walls and floor to fully dry out... and so you can spot any structural defects in case they happen.
I'll ask them about the poly under the concrete floor. The framing is mostly up, so at this point it'd be too late to ask for anything to do with the concrete. I remember the builder telling me that once we gain possession, at that point the concrete will be 93% or 96% cured (can't remember). As a non-expert, I'm not sure if that's enough to not worry.

No plans on finishing the basement for years and years. I just want to set up a temporary play area for my kids, and want to put down any type of mats on the floor.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1026 posts
216 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've seen some basements where the builder puts up studs, fiberglas and white poly - and that is it... meaning no drywall covering the poly. If your setup is like that I'd suggest adding drywall to cover the poly to prevent the kids from poking holes in the poly. No need to add tons of drywall screws or to tape or paint the drywall as it would just be there to protect the poly. Later on you would end up opening up the walls to add electrical / network cabling anyway...
Sep 29, 2010
40 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
im no expert but the Lowes one is a lot better because its raised off the ground therefore providing air to circulate if there are any chance of moisture it will not mold or damage your flooring and providing greater insulation in general.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3450 posts
874 upvotes
Edmonton
sidde0 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:10 pm
Noob question:

Home Depot has a lot of options which are cheaper than this price.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.100- ... 04555.html

Any reason why people should buy this from Lowe’s instead of HD one?
That stuff at HD is just laminate underlayment.... its what Id' put overtop the delta fl which provides a layer for circulation. IF you read the comments some people use it over dri core, which is another way if you wanted carpet overtop

We used this > https://www.quietwalk.com/. HD stocks something called Roberts which is prob similar > https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.367- ... 53691.html

Really depends your budget..
Jul 8, 2008
507 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
U4IA wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:52 pm
That stuff at HD is just laminate underlayment.... its what Id' put overtop the delta fl which provides a layer for circulation. IF you read the comments some people use it over dri core, which is another way if you wanted carpet overtop

We used this > https://www.quietwalk.com/. HD stocks something called Roberts which is prob similar > https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.367- ... 53691.html

Really depends your budget..
Thanked.

However, I am wondering if I can just use the HD product and NOT USE the Lowe’s product underneath the HD product. Basement is 10 years old so I’m not too particular about concrete water discharge.
Feb 10, 2018
55 posts
68 upvotes
sidde0 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:51 pm
Thanked.

However, I am wondering if I can just use the HD product and NOT USE the Lowe’s product underneath the HD product. Basement is 10 years old so I’m not too particular about concrete water discharge.
No absolutely not ,, that product is not a vapour barrier

you definitely need a super 6 poly then this underlay

as for the delta , all seems need taped , plus i recommend a super 6 poly around the perimeter and going up the wall and attaching it to the wall poly with tuck tape