39.0392° N, 125.7625…

Firman 3500W Generator $299 + FS (was $599) till Apr25

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
50% off
Retailer:
Lowes
I ordered one, excellent reviews. Quieter than most 3600rpm generators. 120V only

Firman makes engines for Kohler and Generac. This comes with a 3yr wty and huge 21 liter gas tank. OHV engine.

Comes with wheel kit and cover, sold as model P03501. WallyWorld sells the identical unit $469) but without the cover and wheels, so no PMing due to difference in model number, but YMMV.

I would prefer an inverter generator but they are double the price. Some claim that the cheaper generators fry electronics due to "dirty" power (not a pure sine wave) but electronic engineers say that it's the sudden change in voltage and frequency (when a large load kicks in or out) that does the harm, This one is supposed to have a good voltage regulator. The LED display shows voltage, frequency, and total hours of use (toggled display).

30 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2242 posts
321 upvotes
Ottawa
Something to think about for longer periods of runtime. To consider a dual fuel one. I'm looking for one that can get a 400lb or similar propane tank dropped off to run it.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2804 posts
1156 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
Not a bad idea at a propane one. I actually have 3 large propane tanks to heat my home and cook food to begin with.
---
Koodo Long Term Customer!
Self Employed: Youtube, Sites, Server Administrator, and more. I enjoy just getting my hands on anything if I can do it from home.
Enjoyments: ATVing, Northern Living, Online Shopping, Being Social Active.
Aug 20, 2011
16 posts
2 upvotes
AMOS
I find this to be a good price. Wanted it to power my house when there is a snow storm. Still missing the 220V option and about 1000W. Still sub 100$/1000W is a good price. Good find OP.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2009
781 posts
381 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
loupph wrote:
Apr 21st, 2018 9:25 am
I find this to be a good price. Wanted it to power my house when there is a snow storm. Still missing the 220V option and about 1000W. Still sub 100$/1000W is a good price. Good find OP.
I also have a 4 cyl diesel generator set (30,000watts) and a thousand liters of filtered peanut oil, but it's overkill just to run some lights, fridge, and well pump. 220v (for me) is only for baseboard heaters and stove, things that I would never run on a generator.
I wanted a generator small enough to be efficient on fuel during long outages.
Jan 10, 2005
365 posts
97 upvotes
loupph wrote:
Apr 21st, 2018 9:25 am
I was also looking for 220V outlet, but the only real reason you would need one is if you were on a well. i was thinking remote welding at some point, but now that I have a multi voltage welder it's not really a necessity. Good price for what it is. I started with the firman inverter gens though, so I'll wait for the Firman inverter 3300w to come back on sale, so i can parallel them if I need to.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1083 posts
645 upvotes
Belleville
This generator is on sale quite frequently at $299 so no rush if you dont need one.
Jan 13, 2017
100 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
How much would I need to spend and what should I buy to get a Generator to power my entire home during an outage for longer periods? (3000+sqft home with 4 people) typical electric appliances.

Some of my vehicles use Diesel too. So diesel generator would make sense. Or propane?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2804 posts
1156 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
Keep in mind gasses go bad overtime. What is the time life of propane vs fuel?
---
Koodo Long Term Customer!
Self Employed: Youtube, Sites, Server Administrator, and more. I enjoy just getting my hands on anything if I can do it from home.
Enjoyments: ATVing, Northern Living, Online Shopping, Being Social Active.
Feb 11, 2018
828 posts
672 upvotes
RSole wrote:
Apr 21st, 2018 8:37 am
I would prefer an inverter generator but they are double the price. Some claim that the cheaper generators fry electronics due to "dirty" power (not a pure sine wave) but electronic engineers say that it's the sudden change in voltage and frequency (when a large load kicks in or out) that does the harm, This one is supposed to have a good voltage regulator. The LED display shows voltage, frequency, and total hours of use (toggled display).
What will kill your microwaves, computers, furnaces, TVs, etc is the THD (total harmonic distortion). Inverters cost double, but it is much cheaper than having to replace a furnace, or a computer...

It will all depend on how long you use the generator and the sensitivity of what is connected to the generator.
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Apr 21st, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paying less is only half the equation. The other half is buying less... ;)
Feb 11, 2018
828 posts
672 upvotes
rendered22 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2018 9:55 am
How much would I need to spend and what should I buy to get a Generator to power my entire home during an outage for longer periods? (3000+sqft home with 4 people) typical electric appliances.

Some of my vehicles use Diesel too. So diesel generator would make sense. Or propane?
Propane, of course. Hopefully you have a 300+ lbs tank of propane sitting outside your house. Unless you have a 1000 gallons tank of diesel sitting near your house. Try getting fuel during an extended blackout... Also much safer to use propane.

Residential gens come with a motorcycle engine running at 3,600 rpm. Do you think it is a good idea to run a motorcycle engine at 3,600 for 10-12hrs/day? A residential gen usually runs for only half the day. A 10,000Kw would be decent for a 3,000sqft house. Though you will most likely not be able to run the ac. It will cost you between $40 and $100 per day to run. It all depends on usage and cost of propane. You can probably buy the whole thing including electric panel and installation for around $10K.

Now if you want a real gen you'll go with a commercial one that comes with a car engine running at 1,800 rpm. This gen should last you for as long as you live with proper maintenance. Look at spending between $20K to 25K.

Remember you need to have someone come do mandatory maintenance during an extended blackout. So he better be available or you will void the warranty. Cummins-Onan and Kholer are the brands you should consider if you are serious about it. Otherwise you can go with any other (cheaper) brands. In that case I would suggest Champion.

A full house gen might not be worth it if you seldom lose power. In that case I would recommend an inverter gen powerful enough to run the basics like the furnace, fridge and water heater. Hopefully your furnace and water heater use Natural gas/propane. And you will need to store a minimum of 20 gal of gas all year round. Unless you get an inverter that also runs on propane. Champion does have a few models running on both gas and propane.

If your house has NG then the natural choice would be to get a whole house gen working on NG.
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Apr 21st, 2018 10:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2245 posts
291 upvotes
Edmonton
Goes on sale regularly at this price atleast 3 to 4 times a year. Combine it with 15% off or other promotions that may happen at the same time. This is how I got mine last year.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2009
781 posts
381 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
kanechart wrote:
Apr 21st, 2018 9:58 am
Keep in mind gasses go bad overtime. What is the time life of propane vs fuel?
Gasses like methane, natural gas, propane? Infinite shelf life, I believe. Diesel will store longer than gasoline if kept dry, sealed and anti-fungal agent added.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2009
781 posts
381 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 21st, 2018 10:19 am

If your house has NG then the natural choice would be to get a whole house gen working on NG.
If the NG infrastructure goes down, i.e. earthquake, long-term outages, then I would want a self-sufficient back-up supply such as propane. Switching would require modifying the engine which may be very simple.
Feb 11, 2018
828 posts
672 upvotes
RSole wrote:
Apr 21st, 2018 10:41 am
If the NG infrastructure goes down, i.e. earthquake, long-term outages, then I would want a self-sufficient back-up supply such as propane. Switching would require modifying the engine which may be very simple.
Never, ever convert a gasoline gen to propane using kits available on the web. NG/propane burns a lot hotter than gasoline. You will permanently damage the engine. Check out combustion temp of gasoline/propane/NG. Even the spark plug used is different between gasoline and NG/propane gens. Sure it will work if you do the conversion. But it is only a matter of time before you very quickly kill the gen.

NG is moved along pipeline using pumps. Those pumps use electricity and have a gen in case of blackout. It is extremely possible that NG could become unavailable in some very rare events. But then you might also be without water and there is no life without water.