Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] First Alert Battery-Powered Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector Photoelectric Sensor $26.38 (code Michele10 if buying 2)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2019 8:45 pm
Aug 19, 2012
832 posts
115 upvotes
If I buy multiple of these will they be able to "talk" to each other or if one goes off will they all go off?
May 28, 2017
91 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
derrickrose wrote:
Oct 24th, 2019 1:38 pm
If I buy multiple of these will they be able to "talk" to each other or if one goes off will they all go off?
No it wont.. The specs say interconnection is not possible.
Dec 10, 2012
897 posts
537 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Frankly with the cost of homes these days, government/insurance companies should mandate sprinkler systems be installed in all residential buildings.

The cost of would should be offset by a reduction in insurance rates for homes with said systems installed.

With all the smart home gadgets, one would think they would develop an ai sensor and suppression system that could extinguish a smothering fire before it spreads.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3049 posts
1558 upvotes
hill15 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2019 4:10 pm
Use promo code Michele10 to save $10 if purchase over $50.
Thanks - you might want to add this to the OP so that it doesn't get hidden if new readers don't read every post!
Sep 11, 2011
536 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2019 9:38 am
would these battery one operate fine where a wired detector is currently installed?
To answer your first question, I believe its against code (at least in Ontario) to install a battery smoke alarm where a wire exists. This is considered degrading safety and can lead to a fine, regardless if there was a battery smoke alarm installed (with the wire behind it) when you purchased the home.
Jun 1, 2005
766 posts
135 upvotes
GVR
Are there specific smoke alarms that we need to buy for townhouses? The home inspector suggested that I replace the current ones as they are quite old, but I'm pretty sure that it's not the normal battery ones and I have no idea what to buy.
Dec 8, 2007
96 posts
107 upvotes
whiteGSR wrote:
Oct 24th, 2019 3:57 pm
Are there specific smoke alarms that we need to buy for townhouses? The home inspector suggested that I replace the current ones as they are quite old, but I'm pretty sure that it's not the normal battery ones and I have no idea what to buy.
you just have to look at the one you have now, and if it has a 120 volt plug in it (aka hardwire)...
most of these types are interconnectable (meaning it communicates with a central system for the strata).
You would want to buy the same type as the one you currently have.

If there is no wire to begin with... then its just a battery operated one that is not connected to any other system. Then this one will work for you.
When buying smoke alarms, just look for the 120volt or hardwire label/description or pictures on the package to differentiate.
Nov 17, 2017
161 posts
38 upvotes
ApocDeals wrote:
Oct 24th, 2019 1:59 pm
To answer your first question, I believe its against code (at least in Ontario) to install a battery smoke alarm where a wire exists. This is considered degrading safety and can lead to a fine, regardless if there was a battery smoke alarm installed (with the wire behind it) when you purchased the home.
Can you tell me if i can install this in bedrooms ?