Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

First Alert ONELINK AC Hardwired Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector with Battery Back-U

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2020 7:59 pm
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1390 posts
1176 upvotes
Good price. I saw similar smoke detectors at Brantford Lowe's over a week ago but they were a different brand. Those were all cleaned out but I thought it was interesting that they brought them out toward the end of the clearance sale. It seems they have added stuff to the sale as they find it or it comes in to the store

Seeing this makes me want to go and check again to see what they may have found or added
Oct 17, 2007
205 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
I still don't understand these combo devices. Carbon monoxide is more dense and would start filling a room from bottom up. Smoke is less dense and fills up space from top down. How effective are these in real situations? Where do people install these? Ceiling? Closer to the floor? Or Half way up on the wall?
Jan 14, 2004
274 posts
99 upvotes
t6ho wrote: I still don't understand these combo devices. Carbon monoxide is more dense and would start filling a room from bottom up. Smoke is less dense and fills up space from top down. How effective are these in real situations? Where do people install these? Ceiling? Closer to the floor? Or Half way up on the wall?
CO is not more dense than air. It's virtually identical to N2, which is the main component of air. Considering CO is typically a product of combustion, it's initially hotter and less dense.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4627 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure why they still sell these.. We're required to put in the ones w strobe lights per the new building code.. Should be the only ones on market.. So they'd get cheaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
shylok wrote: Not sure why they still sell these.. We're required to put in the ones w strobe lights per the new building code.. Should be the only ones on market.. So they'd get cheaper.

I live in an 8 year old tower in BC and have 3 of these installed These are built to code, have passed inspection for the past two years.

You must be from the center of the universe.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
May 3, 2016
837 posts
667 upvotes
shylok wrote: Not sure why they still sell these.. We're required to put in the ones w strobe lights per the new building code.. Should be the only ones on market.. So they'd get cheaper.
That is only if you are building now, or major renovations requiring permits and inspections (hence being up to current code)

Homes built under the older codes do not require to be up to today's code, or else everyone would be paying an arm and a leg to keep their house updated every couple of years.
Jan 10, 2020
1 posts
Did this alarm start going on sell? if yes which location? thank you
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4627 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
saad29 wrote: That is only if you are building now, or major renovations requiring permits and inspections (hence being up to current code)

Homes built under the older codes do not require to be up to today's code, or else everyone would be paying an arm and a leg to keep their house updated every couple of years.
It's life safety.. Not insulation though right?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4627 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
vancityguy0 wrote: I live in an 8 year old tower in BC and have 3 of these installed These are built to code, have passed inspection for the past two years.

You must be from the center of the universe.
Old buildings like yours don't have to update.. Same thing in Ontario. But you missed the point.. Nvm
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
I just bought a 2 pack of battery powered combo detectors with 10y batteries for 89.99 from Costco. That seems to be a good deal unless you really want a hard wired detector.
Dec 22, 2016
387 posts
354 upvotes
SW Ontario
shylok wrote: It's life safety.. Not insulation though right?
Laws are laws. If the government wanted to they could just ban the sale of these if they deemed them unsafe.

They still pass Canadian safety standards and are for sale in Canada. There is always something more " advanced" and "better" on the market.

We still have people that feel they don't need smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

Good deal..thanks Op
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2087 posts
774 upvotes
Toronto
So these basically just copied the Nest Protect? I have 3 Protects in my home and would never give them up. They are so much better than the competition. Set them and forget them.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
dassub wrote: So these basically just copied the Nest Protect? I have 3 Protects in my home and would never give them up. They are so much better than the competition. Set them and forget them.
These ones are HomeKit compatible which Nest isn’t.

These aren’t “lower quality” per se. They still meet the minimum requirements as far as a smoke alarm is concerned. They’re just made by a brand that doesn’t appeal to you as much as nest does.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)