[Lowe's] Free $25 gift card for first 100 customers again this Saturday

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 8:49 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5544 posts
2309 upvotes
are they doing this again next week?

This is the first time I've seen a big retailer do something this desperate just to get people through the door. I think Lowes is standing on the brink of closing, at least in GTA.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7128 posts
4488 upvotes
Canada
badOne wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 9:58 am

This is the first time I've seen a big retailer do something this desperate just to get people through the door. I think Lowes is standing on the brink of closing, at least in GTA.
They do this multiple times every year, mostly around black Friday and boxing Day, but sometimes other times as well
Tangerine, Public Mobile, and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5544 posts
2309 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 10:00 am
They do this multiple times every year, mostly around black Friday and boxing Day, but sometimes other times as well
That's good news. I don't want them to leave because of the job vacuum that would be created.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16081 posts
5367 upvotes
badOne wrote:

Then why is the Home Shopping Channel still around, they did a $50 event a while back
And some of those Shoppers optimum deals made things practically free.
There were several other RFD hot deals that i missed that were free as well.
Dominos has done several free pizza events in my area over the years.

I'm sure there have been even more that i'm not thinking of off the top of my head.
In Japan, the hand can be used like a knife.
But this method doesn't work with a tomato...
Jun 3, 2005
701 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
badOne wrote:

Sears did the same thing a number of years ago before they went under. They also gave out free coffee with the GC.
Aug 29, 2017
216 posts
267 upvotes
badOne wrote:

Yes they are in trouble. The Rona purchase has hurt them so expect them to start closing more stores or trying to sell off Rona, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7128 posts
4488 upvotes
Canada
dgcan75 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 10:08 am
Yes they are in trouble. The Rona purchase has hurt them so expect them to start closing more stores or trying to sell off Rona, etc.
It doesn't help that Lowe's prices are not competitive. I have seen lots of IDENTICAL products at Home Depot and Lowe's but the prices are higher at Lowe's. I have never seen any item that was cheaper at Lowe's compared to HD. I only shop when they give out GCs like today. But even then, I have to price match products.

Other times there will be identical products, but the upc will be off by 1 digit, making price match impossible.

Their price match procedure is also a joke. Regular checkout can't price match, have to go back to CS desk. But CS desk will not check out other items. It's a joke

You can't also use gift cards online. Wtf
Last edited by RFDQ1016 on Nov 9th, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5544 posts
2309 upvotes
Lowes is also pushing their own brands - some made by other companies then rebranded, and then the other company's brand is removed from the shelves. I don't see a lot of choice of brands to choose from compared to Home Depot.

Lowest inventory selection is much worse than HD's.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2013
550 posts
466 upvotes
prairies
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 10:18 am
It doesn't help that Lowe's prices are not competitive. I have seen lots of IDENTICAL products at Home Depot and Lowe's but the prices are higher at Lowe's.

Other times there will be identical products, but the upc will be off by 1 digit, making price match impossible.

Their price match procedure is also a joke. Regular checkout can't price match, have to go back to CS desk. But CS desk will not check out other items. It's a joke

Yes. I agree with these points. Slight change in model number or upc just so you can't price match is ridiculous. If you don't want to honour to price match, don't offer the policy.
And not being able use GC online also is a big blow. They just revamped their system, why was that not addressed?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2712 posts
1285 upvotes
Edmonton
dj_rice wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 8:38 am
Debating on heading out or not, it snowed a bunch last night here in Edmonton. Anyone lining up currently at Namao 97St Lowes? I want some free ice melter
Just came back from there. They were still handing out gift cards - no line-up.

The first snowfall last night might be a factor.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2712 posts
1285 upvotes
Edmonton
lynn24 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 9:09 am
I noticed that too, but staff upon entry were insisting that's how you get the gift card. I noticed many people were making $2-5 purchases and the cashier told me I could not apply the gift card to the current purchase and they would only honour it on future purchases. *shrug*
Can't believe Lowe's would be doing this. The store I went to did it properly, a dedicated guy handing out gift cards as you walked in.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
5107 posts
3587 upvotes
Calgary
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 10:18 am
It doesn't help that Lowe's prices are not competitive. I have seen lots of IDENTICAL products at Home Depot and Lowe's but the prices are higher at Lowe's. I have never seen any item that was cheaper at Lowe's compared to HD. I only shop when they give out GCs like today. But even then, I have to price match products.

They are competitive
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
5107 posts
3587 upvotes
Calgary
Homer001 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2019 10:04 pm
Last week very little people knew about so they were still there 1.5 to 2 hours after opening. The one before this where it was in the flyer the lineup started at about 6:30 and if you weren’t in line by 6:50 your out of luck. Since it’s on RFD I’m gonna think there will be a line and gone by 7:10. The times were based on my experience at my Calgary location. This location had a lot of asians and East Indians who brought the whole family. It was one per household back then too but they didn’t enforce it. All the kids got one too. Last week they didn’t enforce the household thing either at my location.
Enforced today at my store. Addresses being taken, signatures and names.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7128 posts
4488 upvotes
Canada
SammyDavis wrote:
Nov 9th, 2019 10:53 am
Enforced today at my store. Addresses being taken, signatures and names.
Which location
Jun 18, 2017
154 posts
99 upvotes
The one I went to was racial profiling. [...] guy about 10 seconds Infront got a hello here is a $25 gift card for coming in. The [...] right behind him and I was behind him. She puts the gift cards in her vest pocket when we approached and just said hello. The guy asked you still have gift card and she goes is this the first time you guys have been here? Say yes and she goes really in the tone of voice that she doesn’t believe it. She did give one out but didn’t feel like she wanted too. Was looking at the snow blowers and noticed the same thing with future customers. The white folks she just handed out and any minorities she put it in her vest. Don’t mind if she asks if you been here before but do it to everyone not just the minorities.

Was gonna buy a google home hub and a few other things but after that experience gonna give Best Buy my money instead and just buy $25 worth of Lowe’s stuff.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Nov 9th, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing race discussion