Home & Garden

Lowe's Gatehouse door hardware? Good/Bad?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2019 10:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9134 posts
5430 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)

Lowe's Gatehouse door hardware? Good/Bad?

Looking for quick review/opinion advice on these products.

Looking to replace the builder grade door knobs in my house with levers. Obviously I don't want to spend more than I have to. Has anyone used Gatehouse interior door knobs/levers from Lowe's before?

All I know it's an in-house brand, and the only reviews I can find online is from Lowes.ca website.
Last edited by chimaican on Feb 28th, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3230 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
They're alright if u wait for sales.

Otherwise, consider Weiser and Schlage.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3885 posts
3065 upvotes
Toronto
I did that many years ago because they were the cheapest brand when replacing all my interior handles and they're fine, still work great and I've never needed to lubricate them. If you're super, super picky and carefully compare them side-by-side with brand name levers, the brand name ones seemed to have a "smoother" finish and more rounded edges if you're running your hands over them to feel the difference, but for the 0.5 seconds you're touching them normally, you'll never notice the difference.

I wouldn't use them for the exterior, though. Even brand name exterior hardware tends to have problems with the finish after many years of direct rain/snow/UV, etc. so I'm sure cheaper, house-brand hardware will deteriorate even faster.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9134 posts
5430 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Thanks. Yeah, Lowes is having a sale right now on the basic brushed nickel lever economy 4-pack 50% off (hallway for $32.50). Plus if you spend over $100 you get a scratch card. Only got an additional $15 off, but that brings my overall purchase to $28.75 a pack, or $7.19 each.
jm1 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 10:20 am
I wouldn't use them for the exterior, though. Even brand name exterior hardware tends to have problems with the finish after many years of direct rain/snow/UV, etc. so I'm sure cheaper, house-brand hardware will deteriorate even faster.
I hear ya... I would never consider buying this brand for an exterior door, only for interior. For exterior door security I'd go with a more well known brand like Schlage and Weiser. Those two brands have a higher ANSI grade score too.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2802 posts
1582 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
I installed Facto (Rona's quasi-house brand) about three years ago. No problem with the finish or action (which really are the main fail points). I wouldn't be surprised if the Gatehouse ones are coming out of the same factory.

The action isn't as nice as say the Weiser or Schlage, but at 1/4 of the price, I don't care. And anything beats the builders grade 1980's brass knobs.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6919 posts
3144 upvotes
Paris
Weiser was acquired by B&D in 2004ish and B&D quickly moved their Kwikset stuff from the States up here and rebranded the Weiser IP into store brands, the most notable being Gatehouse.

In my opinion, the deadbolts you get with Gatehouse (as the old Weiser IP) are far superior. If you have older Weiser stuff you can buy Gatehouse and have them all keyed the same still.

The Weiser/Kwikset smartkey stuff is hot garbage.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/