Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

GSM 50Gal natural gas water heater $730

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2017 5:33 pm
238 replies
Nov 11, 2014
247 posts
195 upvotes
Markham, ON
Anyone know what the rough installation cost would be?

Currently have a rental hot water tank on month to month. Their buyout on the tank was $700 for a 10 year old tank.. Im guessing the rental company will try to charge an arm and a leg for pick up and uninstalling the old tank.
Oct 21, 2016
313 posts
149 upvotes
It's their tank. If you stop paying for it, then it's their responsibility to come and take it away, right?
winston1234 wrote: Anyone know what the rough installation cost would be?

Currently have a rental hot water tank on month to month. Their buyout on the tank was $700 for a 10 year old tank.. Im guessing the rental company will try to charge an arm and a leg for pick up and uninstalling the old tank.
Nov 17, 2010
592 posts
343 upvotes
Thornhill

I got it installed for 500 tax in, including returning the old rental unit.

I think lowes' installation was 240 plus materials.
Nov 17, 2010
592 posts
343 upvotes
Thornhill
dontgiveajack wrote: It's their tank. If you stop paying for it, then it's their responsibility to come and take it away, right?
They will charge you 100 if you want them to take it from your home. But if you drop it to their location, it's free.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2444 posts
1073 upvotes
Toronto
debating debating. Thanks OP. This isn't an easy 'buy first think later' situation.
Dec 4, 2011
341 posts
364 upvotes
Guelph
dontgiveajack wrote: It's their tank. If you stop paying for it, then it's their responsibility to come and take it away, right?
Yeah, you'd think so, but the rental tank market is a huge racket with tons of stipulations so that it's not that easy.
We bought a house that came with a "lifetime" contract on the tank. Basically, we have to rent it until it breaks.
I called last fall:
To buyout the 4 year old tank, Reliance wants $1600+ tax.
To RETURN the 4 year old tank, I'd have to pay $1100+tax (even if I did the removal myself and dropped off the tank to them).
On the 5 year anniversary, the RETURN fee will drop to $475+tax. whoopee! And it won't drop again until after the 8 year anniversary.

I will be taking it out as soon as the 5 year anniversary comes up because I can't abide paying them $550/year for something I can buy for under $1000.
Last edited by AnnV11 on Jan 12th, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 20, 2012
322 posts
190 upvotes
OTTAWA

Installation cost will depend on whether you have the black vent pipe (which no longer meets code) or the white vent pipe. If it's the black pipe it will all need to be replaced before installing the new tank and obviously will be more $$$$.
Nov 20, 2012
322 posts
190 upvotes
OTTAWA
moonsea wrote: I got it installed for 500 tax in, including returning the old rental unit.

I think lowes' installation was 240 plus materials.
Do you remember if they changed out your old vent piping?
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1361 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Great price for a waterheater...but dealing with Lowes and their subcontractors is terrible. I bought one on black friday, and last week I decided to return it. Luckily I wasn't in a rush to replace my waterheater, because it took them over 40 days before someone came to my house to even give me a quote! My waterheater is 20 years old and I bought it out from enercare last year for $25, and no termination fee (the monthly rental fee was $30!!!).

First Lowes charges $40 to have someone come out to give you a detailed quote. If you decide to go with them to do the installation, you get that $40 back as it is deducted from the installation cost.

If you talk to Lowes, their basic installation cost schedule is:
$325 waterheater installation
$135 for 10 feet of new white 636 venting to meet code
$40 for new water shutoff valve (if you need one)
and then they also have a promotion where there is 20% off the total cost, and plus 13% HST.
But they always end up adding other charges, so it's not as straightforward as it seems.
and this is just the basic quote, assuming your basement is unfinished.

My basement is finished, so there were additional labour charges b/c they have to make holes in the wall/ceiling, and they quoted me for 20ft of new venting instead...my installation quote ended up coming out to $800+tax = ~$900

But it took me over a month to get that quote. The main problem with getting it installed through Lowes is that they pass you along to a 3rd party called Quickcontractors.com, who then subcontracts you to another 3rd party installer. I ended up getting passed to 2 different subcontractors, and then after 40 days someone finally showed up at my door. But then he discovered that the brand new GSW had a manufacture defect because of a slightly bulging at the seam, so he told me to just exchange or refund it. Since the quote came out to $900 to install, I ended up just refunding the whole thing.

Also, for both of the subcontractors that I got passed to, I tried to find reviews on homestars or anywhere online....and found NOTHING. So even though they are authorized to work for Lowes, I have no assurance on whether I can call them back for follow up service in the future.

And finally, the base warranty for the waterheater is 6 years parts, 1 year labour. Lowes sells an extended warranty for $20, which covers the other 5 years of labour, so in total you get 6 yr parts 6 yr labour, But in the fine print, if your waterheater breaks down 3x and they can't fix it, then they will refund you the waterheater. They will only refund the installation cost IF it was installed by Lowes. Thats why I tried to get a quote from Lowes.
Last edited by aZnRYcEbOi on Jan 12th, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1624 posts
1982 upvotes
moonsea wrote: They will charge you 100 if you want them to take it from your home. But if you drop it to their location, it's free.
#fakenews each company is different and it likely would be free based on the age of the tank. Check their website for a rate table which they must post publicly.
Nov 17, 2010
592 posts
343 upvotes
Thornhill
cruban wrote: Do you remember if they changed out your old vent piping?
Yes, it was black pipes. My tank stand beside the wall, hence it didn't cost too much to change the pipe.
Nov 17, 2010
592 posts
343 upvotes
Thornhill
torontoguy777 wrote: OP how did you get the $759 Price?
Black Friday, $200 off. But now its even better!
Sep 24, 2001
700 posts
168 upvotes
Thornhill
Consider getting the extended warranty for $20. I got the warranty when I bought it in 2013 and it paid off this week. Make sure you register the warranty if you get it. I had to dig up my receipts to find it.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2444 posts
1073 upvotes
Toronto
aZnRYcEbOi wrote: Great price for a waterheater...but dealing with Lowes and their subcontractors is terrible. I bought one on black friday, and last week I decided to return it. Luckily I wasn't in a rush to replace my waterheater, because it took them over 40 days before someone came to my house to even give me a quote! My waterheater is 20 years old and I bought it out from enercare last year for $25, and no termination fee (the monthly rental fee was $30!!!).

First Lowes charges $40 to have someone come out to give you a detailed quote. If you decide to go with them to do the installation, you get that $40 back as it is deducted from the installation cost.

and then they also have a promotion where there is 20% off the total cost, and plus 13% HST.
But they always end up adding other charges, so it's not as straightforward as it seems.

My basement is finished, so there were additional labour charges b/c they have to make holes in the wall/ceiling, and they quoted me for 20ft of new venting instead...my installation quote ended up coming out to $800+tax = ~$900

But it took me over a month to get that quote. The main problem with getting it installed through Lowes is that they pass you along to a 3rd party called Quickcontractors.com, who then subcontracts you to another 3rd party installer. I ended up getting passed to 2 different subcontractors, and then after 40 days someone finally showed up at my door. But then he discovered that the brand new GSW had a manufacture defect because of a slightly bulging at the seam, so he told me to just exchange or refund it. Since the quote came out to $900 to install, I ended up just refunding the whole thing.

Also, for both of the subcontractors that I got passed to, I tried to find reviews on homestars or anywhere online....and found NOTHING. So even though they are authorized to work for Lowes, I have no assurance on whether I can call them back for follow up service in the future.

And finally, the base warranty for the waterheater is 6 years parts, 1 year labour. Lowes sells an extended warranty for $20, which covers the other 5 years of labour, so in total you get 6 yr parts 6 yr labour, But in the fine print, if your waterheater breaks down 3x and they can't fix it, then they will refund you the waterheater. They will only refund the installation cost IF it was installed by Lowes. Thats why I tried to get a quote from Lowes.
Thanks for sharing. I'm not gonna go with Lowes for installation then.
Mar 7, 2011
397 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
matt4670 wrote: debating debating. Thanks OP. This isn't an easy 'buy first think later' situation.
these go on sale few times a year at around the black friday price of $759. Don't worry too much if you think the price is unbeatable.
Nov 17, 2010
592 posts
343 upvotes
Thornhill
aZnRYcEbOi wrote: Great price for a waterheater...but dealing with Lowes and their subcontractors is terrible. I bought one on black friday, and last week I decided to return it. Luckily I wasn't in a rush to replace my waterheater, because it took them over 40 days before someone came to my house to even give me a quote! My waterheater is 20 years old and I bought it out from enercare last year for $25, and no termination fee (the monthly rental fee was $30!!!).

That's the reason I used my own contractor to install it .
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2444 posts
1073 upvotes
Toronto
moonsea wrote: That's the reason I used my own contractor to install it .
Any suggestion for Markham?
Banned
Dec 2, 2009
255 posts
75 upvotes
Terrace
cruban wrote: Installation cost will depend on whether you have the black vent pipe (which no longer meets code) or the white vent pipe. If it's the black pipe it will all need to be replaced before installing the new tank and obviously will be more $$$$.
My house is fairly new (2007), and I have black pipe, are you sure it will need to be replaced? Seems pretty dumb to have to redo your whole house every time a code changes.