Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

GSM 50Gal natural gas water heater $730

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2017 5:33 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: The mixing valve would be separate from the tank and might cost you extra if it has to be replaced. See this post from a couple of pages previously..
lowes-gsm-50gal-natural-gas-water-heate ... #p27368158
Thanks. I'll check with the installers. (btw that link doesn't work)
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
superpump08 wrote: This whole black/white pipe thing is ridiculous. I would literally need to take apart my whole kitchen to replace the pipe as it runs behind and above the cupboards. There have been no injuries or fatalities reported from using the black pipe so hopefully I can find an installer on Kijiji who will leave it in place.
What's ridiculous is that your gambling with your family's health and safety. I would pay whatever it takes to make sure my family is safe in our own home.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
superpump08 wrote: This whole black/white pipe thing is ridiculous. I would literally need to take apart my whole kitchen to replace the pipe as it runs behind and above the cupboards. There have been no injuries or fatalities reported from using the black pipe so hopefully I can find an installer on Kijiji who will leave it in place.
Are you sure about that? Shouldn't the pipes lead from your mechanical room and out onto the side wall in the basement?
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Aug 8, 2007
839 posts
732 upvotes
blexann wrote: Thanks. I'll check with the installers. (btw that link doesn't work)
Tell them upfront before they come out that you want to remove the mixing valve entirely if that is the problem (or maybe even if it isn't just to get rid of it if that's your decision) to make sure they have the necessary parts to do this. My repair man claimed he didn't have the parts to do this (ie a few inches of extra pipe where the valve goes) and would have to make another service call the cost of which would be more than the cost of replacing the valve right then and there, my choice. I wanted the hot water sooner than later and didn't want to wait home for yet another service call so just had him replace it and took it our later when it was convenient to me. As I think about, this is such a common problem I now doubt whether he really didn't have the parts in his van to do this simple job..
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: Tell them upfront before they come out that you want to remove the mixing valve entirely if that is the problem (or maybe even if it isn't just to get rid of it if that's your decision) to make sure they have the necessary parts to do this. My repair man claimed he didn't have the parts to do this (ie a few inches of extra pipe where the valve goes) and would have to make another service call the cost of which would be more than the cost of replacing the valve right then and there, my choice. I wanted the hot water sooner than later and didn't want to wait home for yet another service call so just had him replace it and took it our later when it was convenient to me. As I think about, this is such a common problem I now doubt whether he really didn't have the parts in his van to do this simple job..
Thanks for this, I had no idea what this mixing valve was until reading about it on here. They are coming out to estimate the install only on Satruday and I'll be sure to mention this to them. If it's not required I'd rather not have (no small kids in the house)
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Since the mixing valve is for water, and not gas, technically couldn't we just replace that part ourselves down the road without needing to call someone in?
Tons of things for sale!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
Is the mixing valve covered under the rental agreement?
Aug 8, 2007
839 posts
732 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Since the mixing valve is for water, and not gas, technically couldn't we just replace that part ourselves down the road without needing to call someone in?
That's what I did (with help from my father-in-law who does his own plumbing so knows what he is doing). In hindsight when we stopped getting hot water on a relatively new tank (only 3 to 4 years old) I could have guessed this was the problem and just taken this valve out but that's hindsight. I guess to check you could try drawing some water off directly from the tank to see if it hot or not. I was also thinking it would be under warranty, but it wasn't.
Mar 15, 2007
621 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
The guy at the store said it would be ok to transport the tank lying on it's side for short distances, even though there is a note on the box saying not to.

For those who have brought it home yourselves, how have you been doing it?
Images
  • 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4081 posts
1967 upvotes
Toronto
nonlinear wrote: The guy at the store said it would be ok to transport the tank lying on it's side for short distances, even though there is a note on the box saying not to.

FYI, I brought a used Rheem 60 gal on its side in my SUV.
Dec 23, 2007
22 posts
3 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Are you sure about that? Shouldn't the pipes lead from your mechanical room and out onto the side wall in the basement?
It's a townhouse, so no.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3971 posts
386 upvotes
I went for this last year. Already had the white pipes, so installation was $260 cash. They took my new tank down to the basement from the garage, and drained my old rental and took it up to the garage. I returned it myself to the drop off center! This will pay off in about three years time. No mixing valve needed.

Transported it on its side with a Dodge Caravan with no issues.

For those on the fence about this: go for it!! Totally worth it! I bought the extra warranty for $20 (I think?) for an extra piece of mind.
Last edited by tigger03 on Jan 18th, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nonlinear wrote: The guy at the store said it would be ok to transport the tank lying on it's side for short distances, even though there is a note on the box saying not to.

Does any side work, or is one side recommended over another?
Tons of things for sale!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3971 posts
386 upvotes
superpump08 wrote: It's a townhouse, so no.
Weird - I have a townhouse as well, and my pipes are inside and lead from the hot water heater, inside the room, to the outside for the venting. Had my black pipes changed by Reliance to white, and paid the price for safety and peace of mind. Don't be cheap/cut corners.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3971 posts
386 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Does any side work, or is one side recommended over another?
Didn't matter. The guy from Lowe's helped load it into the van.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2008
1704 posts
1792 upvotes
I don't understand why so many people on here are caught up on how to get 6 months free? The point of this thread is to get rid of your rental while there's a deal on, not take a few free months and hope for another sale at the end of it..

Get rid of the rental and stop worrying about getting a few months free.
Apr 10, 2016
105 posts
51 upvotes

Yes you can lie your tank down, the only thing is that you have to watch that you don't lie it on the gas valve or the pressure relief valve, or any other parts that are in the box... If you damage these I'm pretty sure they won't replace it due to negligence. Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5968 posts
2752 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
GSD wrote: FYI, I brought a used Rheem 60 gal on its side in my SUV.
SUV!

A bit over 10 years back years back I simply removed the tank from the box and slipped it into the back seat of our mid sized sedan at the time! I kept the box and used it to slide the tank down the the basement stairs and did a self install, then had it inspected by Enbridge for free. Not a powered vent unit and the lowest priced unit so the entire cost at the time was almost exactly $230 taxes in! It's paid for itself several times over now!