Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] GSW 50-gallon Power Vent water heater $859 no tax Aug 31-Sept 3

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 11:14 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2768 posts
3016 upvotes
How much was the lowes installation cost before the 15% discount?
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Sep 29, 2010
36 posts
4 upvotes
Etobicoke
I am surprised nobody mentioned anything about the low energy factor of this water heater: 0.67? I thought the energy factor of a power vented water heater would be much higher than my 17 year old direct vented heater I am planning to replace (0.62).

I checked the energy factor of a thankless heater, which varies from 0.8 to 0.93 depending on the model.

I placed the order for the power vented heater during the tax free saving event already and was planning to schedule for the installation check this week. But after realizing that the energy factor is not much better than my current heater, I am debating now if I should bite the bullet and buy a thankless instead ?! Any thoughts?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13381 posts
13769 upvotes
Oakville
Plucky123 wrote: I am surprised nobody mentioned anything about the low energy factor of this water heater: 0.67? I thought the energy factor of a power vented water heater would be much higher than my 17 year old direct vented heater I am planning to replace (0.62).

I checked the energy factor of a thankless heater, which varies from 0.8 to 0.93 depending on the model.

I placed the order for the power vented heater during the tax free saving event already and was planning to schedule for the installation check this week. But after realizing that the energy factor is not much better than my current heater, I am debating now if I should bite the bullet and buy a thankless instead ?! Any thoughts?
Don't forget you have the added electrical cost of running the fan motor.
Mar 6, 2005
587 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Have one installed right after the labour day long weekend. Total cost $1430.58 (tank, extended warranty, water valve, drip tube, drain pan, delivery, installation, tax).

Four hours after the installer left, still no hot water.....even though the fan is running. So I powered off / on it again on the control module ....and start having hot water approx an hour later. It has been running fine since then.

No more rental unit from Reliance .... have them came pick it up ....cost me $40 termination fee and $65 pickup fee (plus tax) .... but I am just happy to not have to pay the monthly rental anymore.
Also, the old one is 9 yrs old and is starting to have problems.
Nov 22, 2011
71 posts
22 upvotes
Paradise
I'm living in Ontario, and the cost for installation is almost $1500 even after 15% off for installation.
Total cost goes up to $2400 with a GSW 50 purchase.

In addition, the code is changed from black to white.
slgta wrote: Have one installed right after the labour day long weekend. Total cost $1430.58 (tank, extended warranty, water valve, drip tube, drain pan, delivery, installation, tax).

Four hours after the installer left, still no hot water.....even though the fan is running. So I powered off / on it again on the control module ....and start having hot water approx an hour later. It has been running fine since then.

No more rental unit from Reliance .... have them came pick it up ....cost me $40 termination fee and $65 pickup fee (plus tax) .... but I am just happy to not have to pay the monthly rental anymore.
Also, the old one is 9 yrs old and is starting to have problems.
Aug 23, 2016
241 posts
55 upvotes
Guelph
sthence wrote: I'm living in Ontario, and the cost for installation is almost $1500 even after 15% off for installation.

Something if off about that installation quote. I've sent you a PM.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13381 posts
13769 upvotes
Oakville
sthence wrote: I'm living in Ontario, and the cost for installation is almost $1500 even after 15% off for installation.

That's way too much for an install unless there's something especially difficult about yours. Have you received other quotes?
Jul 27, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
As of December 14, 2017, i called Reliance to inquire about buyout of my existing 50 gallon hot water tank. It is estimated to be 4 years old in Milton.
They said pay $600 and drop of tank at 830 Harrington Crt, Burlington, ON. Suite A, Monday to Friday 9-12 or 2-4pm.
If i want them to disconnect and pickup tank, its 125 plus the 600= $ 725
The buy out cost is $1504+tax for a four year old tank. It is vented on top with a black fan!

My thought is to buy a new tank, preferably same make and model, so fittings all in SAME place for hook up, then swap out tank. Does not require much in the way of tools. But basic common sense is a must, which i assume most people have. RIGHT!
I will not buy fancy expensive tanks because they are all the same, except warranty lengths. Pay more for tank and warranty is longer, but the tank is SAME!
Hence, i will buy cheapest vented/fan on top 50 gallon tank, and install.
Why you should NOT buy expensive tanks, is because the electric vent fan on top cannot be purchased on its own economically. The brushes in the electric motor wear out after about 10 years, and it costs 300 to have replacement fan put onto a 10 year old tank! Does it make sense? Hence replace tank when it dies natrual death, they last 10 to 14 years. No i wont change the anode, although it does save the tank, but then fan dies and still 300 down the drain, so why invest more money.
If you dont have electric fan on top, ie direct gravity vent, then do change tge anode,mit only cost $15 and just screws out at top. However it maybe broken and half of it may have droped into the tank. No problem, just flush out by draining the water and sticking a garden hose through the top of tank. DO NOT OPEN PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE! I know tge idiot who designed it says to opennit monthly, but dont! Recently my electrician caught his nappy on the valve and it opened and leaked. And the leak Never stopped, so i had to have Reliance change valve. Previous year in my old house, i got too smart and opened the relief valve out of curiosity, and guess what, it contined tomleak and had to be replace. However here is the kicker. I called the tank manufacturere in Hamilton to buy new valve. They said they would NOT sell it to me unless i was a registered gas fitter! SH!T I SAID. So i looked around and could not find the replacement valve i box stores online, the went to C.Tire and found one for $20, and just screwed it in. See youtube video. So dont touch stupid valve. The Reliance technician who replaced mine in rental told me they will always leak if opened to relief pressure. So why the heck does it state to open monthly to check if it works on valve! Good luck. Waiting for cheap tank to come on sale.
Aug 23, 2016
241 posts
55 upvotes
Guelph
sebring1 wrote: As of December 14, 2017, i called Reliance to inquire about buyout of my existing 50 gallon hot water tank. It is estimated to be 4 years old in Milton.
They said pay $600 and drop of tank at 830 Harrington Crt, Burlington, ON. Suite A, Monday to Friday 9-12 or 2-4pm.
If i want them to disconnect and pickup tank, its 125 plus the 600= $ 725
The buy out cost is $1504+tax for a four year old tank. It is vented on top with a black fan!

My thought is to buy a new tank, preferably same make and model, so fittings all in SAME place for hook up, then swap out tank. Does not require much in the way of tools. But basic common sense is a must, which i assume most people have. RIGHT!
I will not buy fancy expensive tanks because they are all the same, except warranty lengths. Pay more for tank and warranty is longer, but the tank is SAME!
Hence, i will buy cheapest vented/fan on top 50 gallon tank, and install.
Why you should NOT buy expensive tanks, is because the electric vent fan on top cannot be purchased on its own economically. The brushes in the electric motor wear out after about 10 years, and it costs 300 to have replacement fan put onto a 10 year old tank! Does it make sense? Hence replace tank when it dies natrual death, they last 10 to 14 years. No i wont change the anode, although it does save the tank, but then fan dies and still 300 down the drain, so why invest more money.
If you dont have electric fan on top, ie direct gravity vent, then do change tge anode,mit only cost $15 and just screws out at top. However it maybe broken and half of it may have droped into the tank. No problem, just flush out by draining the water and sticking a garden hose through the top of tank. DO NOT OPEN PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE! I know tge idiot who designed it says to opennit monthly, but dont! Recently my electrician caught his nappy on the valve and it opened and leaked. And the leak Never stopped, so i had to have Reliance change valve. Previous year in my old house, i got too smart and opened the relief valve out of curiosity, and guess what, it contined tomleak and had to be replace. However here is the kicker. I called the tank manufacturere in Hamilton to buy new valve. They said they would NOT sell it to me unless i was a registered gas fitter! SH!T I SAID. So i looked around and could not find the replacement valve i box stores online, the went to C.Tire and found one for $20, and just screwed it in. See youtube video. So dont touch stupid valve. The Reliance technician who replaced mine in rental told me they will always leak if opened to relief pressure. So why the heck does it state to open monthly to check if it works on valve! Good luck. Waiting for cheap tank to come on sale.
The contract should be up after 7 years, why not use the tank until then and then and save the $600. And then buy yourself a tank.

A lot of your info here is very incorrect as well.