Expired Hot Deals

[Lowes] GSW N2073 Tankless water heater (TAKAGI)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2018 10:45 am
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1947 posts
2108 upvotes
Wow why installation cost would be 1000$?? Thought this would be easier than the tank heater!!
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Aug 16, 2015
174 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just went to lowes store and picked one.The box has a yellow dot sticker, what's that mean? The box didn't seal on top. I asked him " is this brand new? ".He said, yes.

Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1947 posts
2108 upvotes
Avisnak wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 8:20 pm
I just went to lowes store and picked one.The box has a yellow dot sticker, what's that mean? The box didn't seal on top. I asked him " is this brand new? ".He said, yes.

There was only one in Mississauga mavis store, and they didn't send me the pickup email yet :(.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Oct 3, 2011
167 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
Lowes "basic installation" on thisnunit is $1750 plus hst just an fyi for everybody.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2973 posts
1227 upvotes
freeisbest wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 9:25 pm
Lowes "basic installation" on thisnunit is $1750 plus hst just an fyi for everybody.
That's pretty expensive, but thanks for the info.
Aug 23, 2016
229 posts
40 upvotes
Guelph
PriceHunter wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 8:25 am
It is rated 5.5 GPM for 70F temp rise, and you only need 2.5 GPM max per shower head. The flow goes up to 10 GPM for 30 F temp rise, so you can have 4 showers running at the same time if you are using that rise -Mostly in summer time-.
30F rise??? Your entering water isn't going to be 90F, you'll never have that. Entering water temp mid winter can be as low as 45F. It'll struggle to do any more than 4.5GPM at 120F supply temp.
Aug 23, 2016
229 posts
40 upvotes
Guelph
PriceHunter wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 8:09 pm
Wow why installation cost would be 1000$?? Thought this would be easier than the tank heater!!
The install is much harder than a tank.
Aug 23, 2016
229 posts
40 upvotes
Guelph
Anyone in the Guelph area need one installed??
Dec 14, 2006
575 posts
151 upvotes
aew0314 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 11:51 pm
The install is much harder than a tank.
I guess that relative to a tank, it's harder, but it's not rocket science.
I think that they're pillaging while it's a relatively new thing.
And, I'm sure that they're charging a premium on the already expensive exhaust piping, etc.

I could be very wrong. Just seems that way when I review the install steps.
Aug 23, 2016
229 posts
40 upvotes
Guelph
Torque wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 1:36 am
And, I'm sure that they're charging a premium on the already expensive exhaust piping, etc.

What's not included that you will also need is:

Isolation Valves, Pressure Relief Valve, Electrical Outlet (Possible), Condensate Pump (Possible), 3/4" Gas Pipe, 3" Venting, Mounting Board & Hardware, 3/4" Water Piping, Condensate Neutralizer.

That is all the extras that aren't included with the tankless that you will need. That's where all that cost comes in. That being said It can be installed for a lot less than $1700.
Feb 27, 2008
951 posts
422 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
anhtuan wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 8:03 pm
Can anyone recommend an installer? I'm tempted to get this.
If you live in a city, check Homestars.com for reviews of local heating companies who have gas-certified techs. If not, join a couple local Facebook pages and ask for recommendations.
Last edited by MooseOnLoose on Apr 10th, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1083 posts
187 upvotes
Waterloo
aew0314 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 6:47 am
What's not included that you will also need is:

Isolation Valves, Pressure Relief Valve, Electrical Outlet (Possible), Condensate Pump (Possible), 3/4" Gas Pipe, 3" Venting, Mounting Board & Hardware, 3/4" Water Piping, Condensate Neutralizer.

That is all the extras that aren't included with the tankless that you will need. That's where all that cost comes in. That being said It can be installed for a lot less than $1700.
Do you need a mixing valve or is that not necessary for tankless?
Aug 23, 2016
229 posts
40 upvotes
Guelph
Blitzo wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 8:04 am
Do you need a mixing valve or is that not necessary for tankless?
You do not need a mixing valve.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2042 posts
1098 upvotes
montreal
Torque wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 1:36 am

There is also the electrical part...
They usually need a set of "big" breakers in the electrical box (1 or more 40-60A breakers) with the appropriate wiring.
This is probably a good part of the installation cost.
If the actual wires going from your electric box to your standard water tank isn't the right gauge (which is probably the case), they will need to modify the wiring.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
1687 posts
5035 upvotes
Please don't think a tankless water system is an upgrade - I've had one since I moved in to my house and probably one of the first in Canada under new builds. Yes that system was a piece a junk and units have come a long way since then but I still think that going with a conventional tank system is a better option or at least rent a tankless because of the maintenance required to keep these things running.

If you want to invest in a really good tankless there are only two good ones on the market (Rinnai and Navien), we replaced our failing unit after 6yrs to a Navien. I think if you want to go tankless you need to go with a two unit tankless system and have them side by side in order for it to act like a conventional water heater.

If you want to use a tankless system like the europeans then you need to usually have a small unit at every tap which guarantees you hot water at tap rather than running the hot water tap for 10-15sec. The closer your tap is to the system the quicker it will cycle to hot water.