Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] Korky QuietFILL Universal Fit Adjustable Toilet Fill Valve $13.19

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2019 6:53 pm
Nov 6, 2009
892 posts
145 upvotes
I got suggestions to replace the flapper, which i did; but still there is water going into the bowl.
So flapper is not the issue.

I turned off water supply to tank (after tank is full), and noticed the water is now leaking to the bowl at 50% lesser rate. Suggestions?
Last edited by sonajatt on Feb 4th, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1502 posts
986 upvotes
Surrey
sonajatt wrote: I got suggestions to replace the flapper, which indie; but still there is water going into the bowl.

I turned off water supply to tank (after tank is full), and noticed the water is now leaking to the bowl at 50% lesser rate. Suggestions?
make sure the little chain isn't getting caught under the flapper. mine did that so I shortened it up
Koodo $40/8gb $35/5gb wireless plans//
Jan 23, 2012
414 posts
110 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Besides having water savings, does this valve benefit me by also making toilet flush quieter?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3797 posts
1336 upvotes
Montreal
sonajatt wrote: I got suggestions to replace the flapper, which i did; but still there is water going into the bowl.

The only way water can leave the tank is via the opening that is sealed by the flapper, so something is wrong there if you are losing water.
Jul 11, 2017
481 posts
554 upvotes
sonajatt wrote: I got suggestions to replace the flapper, which i did; but still there is water going into the bowl.

This is a hot deals forum not a plumbing forum. Ask in the home and garden forum.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2773 upvotes
GT!! wrote: The only way water can leave the tank is via the opening that is sealed by the flapper, so something is wrong there if you are losing water.
Not quite true: if the water level in the tank rises above the rim of the overflow pipe, it runs away into the bowl.

But yes, if the water is shut off, and the tank level is below the rim of the overflow pipe and continues to drop, then it's probably leaking through the flapper into the bowl. If you have replaced the flapper, already, then:

1. Make sure the flapper is the correct size, type, and alignment for the bowl fitting. Most of them are standard, but I'm sure there's some variations. Try buying another flapper - they're cheap.

2. Drain the tank and run your finger around the bottom of the flapper and the rim of the plastic ring that it seals against. Make sure there's no debris stuck there or chips in the plastic rim. If your tank is dirty, there could be debris in the bottom of the tank that keeps washing into the space between the flapper and the rim.

3. Check that the plastic overflow pipe sticking up from the bottom of the tank isn't cracked somewhere along its length

4. If all else fails, you'll need to replace the entire fitting at the bottom of the tank that the flapper fits into. That's a more major operation.
Apr 6, 2008
126 posts
27 upvotes
TO
My toilet is very tight to the wall like 2 inches away and I cannot reach the water supply nut even with a basin wrench because there is not much room to manoeuvre.

Anyone can recommend a different wrench? What is the size of the nut? Was thinking of getting a deep socket with an extender since there is more room closer to the floor.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8028 posts
4250 upvotes
ON
clark_ji wrote: My toilet is very tight to the wall like 2 inches away and I cannot reach the water supply nut even with a basin wrench because there is not much room to manoeuvre.

Anyone can recommend a different wrench? What is the size of the nut? Was thinking of getting a deep socket with an extender since there is more room closer to the floor.
Worst case scenario, you have to disconnect the hose from the shutoff and separate the tank from the toilet. Undo the bottom nut and replace the fill unit.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2679 posts
640 upvotes
Vancouver
dilligafeh wrote: Worst case scenario, you have to disconnect the hose from the shutoff and separate the tank from the toilet. Undo the bottom nut and replace the fill unit.
Does clark_ji have to replace the gaskets of the 2 screws (connecting tank and bowl) and in the flush valve area?
Apr 6, 2008
126 posts
27 upvotes
TO
dilligafeh wrote: Worst case scenario, you have to disconnect the hose from the shutoff and separate the tank from the toilet. Undo the bottom nut and replace the fill unit.
It is a one piece toilet. Not willing to displace the toilet either since looking for a simpler solution like a tool that is narrow enough to reach the nut to loosen and tighten. Do you know if there is a deep socket that can fit?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8028 posts
4250 upvotes
ON
clark_ji wrote: It is a one piece toilet. Not willing to displace the toilet either since looking for a simpler solution like a tool that is narrow enough to reach the nut to loosen and tighten. Do you know if there is a deep socket that can fit?
I feared you might have a one piece...dang that's bad. How would you fit a socket in there with the hose in the way ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8028 posts
4250 upvotes
ON
yvrwindsor wrote: Does clark_ji have to replace the gaskets of the 2 screws (connecting tank and bowl) and in the flush valve area?
Normally you don't need to, they're rubber and unless they fall apart when you remove them, you just reuse them. Same with the big tank gasket.