Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] Kwikset electronic deadbolt $49 (+free shipping and $10 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2018 3:54 pm
[OP]
Jun 25, 2018
22 posts
29 upvotes

[Lowe's] Kwikset electronic deadbolt $49 (+free shipping and $10 off)

Attempting to post my first deal:
I've been looking at keypad/electronic deadbolts for a bit and finally pulled the trigger. I added a roll of scotch tape and was able to use the $10 off $50 when you sign up (a pop-up usually gives you the option). Lowe's is also having 'free parcel' shipping (had to look for an add-on that still had the free parcel with it).

Comes in polished brass, satin nickel or venetian bronze. I know these are only Category 3 (Category 1 being the strongest/best) but since I have windows in my front door- this will still be stronger than the glass.

(Don't forget you can also collect airmiles and ebates with Lowes)

If on the off-chance you need 2 deadbolts- you could add the tape and save the tax (over $100)

the deadbolt...

the tape...
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5354 posts
1099 upvotes
Calgary
bell02fantasy1 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 9:24 am
WHAT DO U MEAN BY DIFFERENT CATEGORIES?
different security levels, how difficult it is to pick or otherwise defeat the lock.
Oct 14, 2015
220 posts
140 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Security Grade: Grade 3

Grade 3
▹ While this is the lowest grade of locks awarded by the ANSI, don't assume that these locks are low quality. You'll find these locks most commonly in apartment buildings as they meet most residential building requirements. They are not as secure as Grade 2 locks and aren't recommended for use on your main entry point, but could be used adequately on secondary entry points.
Nov 1, 2001
461 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
bigdukesixer wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 9:33 am
Security Grade: Grade 3

Grade 3
▹ While this is the lowest grade of locks awarded by the ANSI, don't assume that these locks are low quality. You'll find these locks most commonly in apartment buildings as they meet most residential building requirements. They are not as secure as Grade 2 locks and aren't recommended for use on your main entry point, but could be used adequately on secondary entry points.
so not for a house?
Aug 22, 2007
591 posts
419 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 9:48 am
so not for a house?
You could use it for the door that leads into your house from the Garage. If you forget your keys, use the remote keypad for garage entrance (assuming you have one). I have my garage door wired so I can access it via my phone so having this as a lock from garage to house works well for my purposes.
Aug 21, 2013
102 posts
48 upvotes
Kitchener
Probably good for individual rooms if you are renting rooms to people.
The thing to remember with security is that you cant make your house burglar proof, your aim is to make it more difficult than your neighbors, if you want secure locks you can use Assa Abloy Protec 2, it will cost you around $300 but its secure. All of the windows around your house are much less secure though.
I wouldn't put this on my exterior doors, the buttons will wear quickly on the commonly used buttons and make your combination obvious (unless you change your code regularly and load balance the buttons)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3273 posts
1232 upvotes
Ajax
@OP depending on where your window is, the lock may not fit.

I purchased an electronic deadbolt for my house, the window being as big as it is blocks the location of the battery pack on the inside. The outside face may fit, but check the inside portion, its huge sorta like this.
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27114 posts
13122 upvotes
Ottawa
Unless you reinforced the door frame of your home (very unlikely any home builder would do it as a standard), doesn't matter the grade of the lock, as your door can be easily kicked in.
[OP]
Jun 25, 2018
22 posts
29 upvotes
Thanks for the pic @nellium. Didn't see it anywhere on the lowes site. I think I'm still OK but I wont know until it gets here. I'll repost with a pic if I can install it before the long weekend.

The weiser deadbolts are also marked down but for those concerned I didn't see a Catrgory rating.

I know that schlage make some Category 2 and even some Category 1 locks.
In my house the builders deadbolt I've had for 12 years (I'm sure Cat 3) is not the weakest link (glass next to it/ door frame). I'm getting this for the convenience of not needing to carry a key and for the teenage kids coming home from school.
Feb 2, 2006
351 posts
103 upvotes
Thanks OP. Ordered one for the door leading from the garage.
[OP]
Jun 25, 2018
22 posts
29 upvotes
h41t3r wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 10:33 am
Cheaped out and didn't get the scotch tape. Got 3 of these instead:

https://www.lowes.ca/nails/tree-island- ... 79101.html

Face With Tears Of Joy
Ha-- good find! I was originally looking for teflon tape (knew it was cheap) but it didn't have the 'parcel shipping' so "settled" for the scotch. A little more diligence on my part could have saved me the $1Winking Face
Feb 13, 2009
278 posts
77 upvotes
montreal, qc
ranjeet2000 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 9:48 am
so not for a house?
frankly if someone wants to break in, they will regardless of the security grade of the lock. Personally i would not fret over it if you already are looking a grade 2 lock and want the convenience.
my sister has it on her front door for 3 years now.
Feb 13, 2009
278 posts
77 upvotes
montreal, qc
ShirleyYouCantBeSerious wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 10:16 am
Thanks for the pic @nellium. Didn't see it anywhere on the lowes site. I think I'm still OK but I wont know until it gets here. I'll repost with a pic if I can install it before the long weekend.

The weiser deadbolts are also marked down but for those concerned I didn't see a Catrgory rating.
weiser and kwikset are the same company. kwikset is used in the states and weiser typically in canada.