Toronto

[Lowe's] Lowes: Magna Cart MCX foldable dolly / hand truck - $19.99

50% off in store at Lowes.

http://welcomproducts.com/2010Vers2/page6/page6.html

Holds 150 lbs.

$19.98 (down from $39.98)

Item number 309789.
Barcode 0660142000469.

It is $50 at Amazon.com, with excellent reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HVVSDU/
16 replies
Sep 27, 2009
27 posts
2 upvotes
Not a deal at all, Costco has these 19.99$ all the time.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2268 posts
421 upvotes
Fraser Valley, B.C.
ohnoyuji wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 7:37 am
*if* you have a Costco membership,... but yeah, I agree, not a deal

nice carts though, for light weight applications.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11661 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have a $50 Costco membership.

I've never seen it for < $20 at HD/Lowes/Rona before.

Plus, are you sure it's this model at Costco? There is a lower end model as well. The newer MC1 model should be cheaper than this MCX model. The cheaper MC1 model has the same load rating, but is about 2 lbs heavier (because it's made of steel instead of aluminum).
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2268 posts
421 upvotes
Fraser Valley, B.C.
EugW wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 10:14 am
I don't have a $50 Costco membership.
If you could use Costco a lot, membership can be free. I have a Costco AMEX (free) and am a Executive Class member ($100/year).
I get $500/year cash back from the AMEX and about $140 from the Executive, so effectively free

Plus, are you sure it's this model at Costco? There is a lower end model as well. The newer MC1 model should be cheaper than this MCX model. The cheaper MC1 model has the same load rating, but is about 2 lbs heavier (because it's made of steel instead of aluminum).
The one I own is definitely aluminum.

/edit For people that don't have a Costco membership, this an excellent cart. 200lbs. might be stretching it's capabilities, but for box hauling it is great
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11661 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
I already have a cash back Amex, but it's not costco. But then again, recently they started charging $99 for it, although I demanded some freebies the first couple of years. However, it's a 2% cash back on everything, and the cash back isn't tied to a store. They just subtract the amount from my existing credit card balance, once a year. And it's not tiered either. It's just a flat 2% on all spending. For gas and groceries, I have a Mastercard Smart Cash, which gives 3% back and as no fee. Again, the cash back isn't tied to a store. When I get $50 in cash back credit, they send me a cheque for $50.

We had a Costco membership years ago, but found we didn't make use of it enough to justify the yearly fee.

P.S. If yours has truly a 200 lb rating, then it's actually a higher end model, the MC2.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
I have seen it at other places for around $20 so Lowes was inflating its price. The Amazon one was from a marketplace seller which explains their high price.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11661 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
OK. I think I've seen it at $30 before on sale at one of the big hardware stores, but I'm not sure. That was a while back.

I believe $40-50 is the usual price actually, because Walmart.com also sells it for $48.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magna-Cart-MC ... k/21093218

Frys.com has it for $34.

http://www.frys.com/product/6495442

Sears Canada has it for $36.

http://www.sears.com/tools-garage-organ ... Delivery=3

Anyways, not exactly a "hot" deal, but I still think it's a warm deal, at least for us non-Costco'ers.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6012 posts
658 upvotes
Ajax
ohnoyuji wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 7:37 am
Note the same. Costco one holds 80 lbs I think.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8304 posts
976 upvotes
Montreal
No the Costco one holds 150 pounds as well.

I own that one, and I really don't like it that much even for $20. The base is too small (MCX model).

I've only used it three four times, each time way under 150 pounds ... it felt like the BASE is going to SNAP right off. Even two packs of Naya water will put so much stress on it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11661 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
I think the base size is fine, but I agree the 150 lb rating is inappropriate. I'd definitely keep the load well under 100 lbs. Nonetheless it's a heluvlot stronger than the usual ones you find in the suitcase shops for $10-30. Those ones are uber stressed even with 40 lbs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8304 posts
976 upvotes
Montreal
EugW wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 12:29 pm
I think the base size is fine, but I agree the 150 lb rating is inappropriate. I'd definitely keep the load well under 00 lbs. Nonetheless it's a heluvlot stronger than the usual ones you find in the suitcase shops for $10-30. Those ones are uber stressed even with 40 lbs.
Yes way stronger than those elcheapo ones. But using it for 150lb over and over is going to snap it off for sure.

Whoa there is a trolley version now? (this is not the one on sale).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS5m_K_Vd5c
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2268 posts
421 upvotes
Fraser Valley, B.C.
EugW wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 11:26 am
it's a 2% cash back on everything, and the cash back isn't tied to a store.
off topic, but I just wanted to address this.
The Costco AMEX is not tied to Costco for the cash back, you get cash back everywhere the card is used, however I believe it is only 1.5% (but is free). It also has a cap on the return. Once $500 in cash back has been obtained, I stop using it and switch to an MC that I have at 1.25%

and regarding my $200lbs statement, I wasn't trying to imply it's rated capacity, the actual capacity is quite low. I use a larger steel 2 wheel for heavy stuff.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11661 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
yuprules wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 12:39 pm
Yes way stronger than those elcheapo ones. But using it for 150lb over and over is going to snap it off for sure.
If I needed to do stuff over 100 regularly, I'd buy a proper large gauge metal dolly. I just like this one because it's foldable and easy to throw/keep in the trunk of my car. Good for beer and wine, water, etc.

BTW, I just passed by the courier at work, and he had one of these. Different model though.
Whoa there is a trolley version now?
Yeah, Lowes had the flat trolley version too, but it wasn't on sale. Something like $80.

raskal wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 12:48 pm
off topic, but I just wanted to address this.
The Costco AMEX is not tied to Costco for the cash back, you get cash back everywhere the card is used, however I believe it is only 1.5% (but is free). It also has a cap on the return. Once $500 in cash back has been obtained, I stop using it and switch to an MC that I have at 1.25%
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but what I meant by my post is that the cash back has to be spent at Costco (which is probably not a problem for most). Plus it's only 1% for non-Costco purchases (unless it's in a restaurant or it's gasoline).

The Amex I have is 2% off everything.

So, I use the Amex wherever I can except gasoline and groceries, to get 2% back. When I don't use the Amex, I use my Mastercard which is 3% cash back for groceries and gasoline, and 1% cash back for everything else. I also have a Visa, but rarely use it.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2268 posts
421 upvotes
Fraser Valley, B.C.
EugW wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 1:00 pm
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but what I meant by my post is that the cash back has to be spent at Costco (which is probably not a problem for most).
we get our cheque go to customer service and have them cash it. Takes a few minutes as they need to find $500, but they do it. That way, when I shop I can once again use the AMEX and get more money :D
× < >