• Jul 14th, 2018 7:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1406 posts
254 upvotes

Lowes Online Pricing Error ( claimed )

Hello Folks
I need an advise on pricing error claimed by Lowes. Last week I saw a Patio Set that was shown 1000 $ off on website on Sale. I went ahead and bought it. My visa was charged.
Next day I received a mail from Lowes stating that it was a pricing error on website and they will not honor the price.
I wrote them and spoke to their customer service in USA to give me a reasonable and acceptable offer which they declined.
I am more than willing to take it to small claim court if needed.
https://globalnews.ca/news/314174/prici ... ur-rights/

Can someone suggest how this can be resolved and what actions can be taken. I always was under impression that Lowes had a great customer service but seems things have changed lately.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong .
A tax is a fine for doing right .
10 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10452 posts
209 upvotes
How much was the patio set you thought you bought?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3054 posts
1843 upvotes
newlyborn wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 7:16 pm
Hello Folks
I need an advise on pricing error claimed by Lowes. Last week I saw a Patio Set that was shown 1000 $ off on website on Sale. I went ahead and bought it. My visa was charged.
Next day I received a mail from Lowes stating that it was a pricing error on website and they will not honor the price.
I wrote them and spoke to their customer service in USA to give me a reasonable and acceptable offer which they declined.

Can someone suggest how this can be resolved and what actions can be taken. I always was under impression that Lowes had a great customer service but seems things have changed lately.
Nothing you can do unless you're in Quebec.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1803 posts
890 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless you're in Quebec, good luck getting them to honor it. Everyone makes mistakes and price errors are very common. More often than not they don't get honor and everyone just moves on (unless you're in Quebec).

Also did they actually charge your CC or did they just put a hold on the credit? Most stores put a hold right away but don't actually charge you until they actually ship. Visions, BB, etc all do this. Even RCSS seems to put a hold then charge a few hours or a day later.

Also SCOP is for retail store, its not for online stores.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2163 posts
1118 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
newlyborn wrote:
Hello Folks
As others have written, if you're not in Quebec, you don't have a leg to stand on.
Go ahead and file in Small Claims. You'll pay the filing and associated fees, and you will get the amount of damages you suffered as compensation - that would be $0.
You accepted the terms and conditions they specified, when you submitted your order. Those T&C include (as is standard) the option to cancel any order at their discretion.

Now, of course, one could argue that since they charged your credit card...IF they actually charged your card instead of running a preauthorisation...that they took consideration, but it wouldn't be worth your time since it would cost you more in legal fees to prove your point than you would 'save' if you actually won.

Time to move on.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3056 posts
2569 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Paigne wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 3:14 am

Also SCOP is for retail store, its not for online stores.
I don't know the point of mentioning SCOP... OP got 1000 off the set, even if SCOP applied, he only gets $10 off the correct price.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3056 posts
2569 upvotes
Toronto, ON
newlyborn wrote:
Hello Folks

Please go to small claims court and ask for judge Judy.

I'll have my popcorn ready.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1803 posts
890 upvotes
Vancouver
er34er34 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:19 pm
I don't know the point of mentioning SCOP... OP got 1000 off the set, even if SCOP applied, he only gets $10 off the correct price.
SCOP is actually the lower price (of ad, shelve, tag) plus upto $10 (free if value is less than $10), so if SCOP applied (it doesnt), OP gets $1010 off.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1008 posts
150 upvotes
RFD never disappoints. I love it when people come on here with some unreasonable, entitled expectation for a customer service issue (often where they're in the wrong, and the retailer is in the right) and they get shut down over and over and over. Makes me LOL. I wish there was an "I demand SATISFACTION!!" gif to upload.

OP, as others have pointed out, you don't have a leg to stand on. Pricing errors -- certainly those in the $1000 range -- will never be honoured by any retailer, regardless of any threats to sue, harass, or even to *GASP* post on RFD! Furthermore, I would doubt your claim that Lowes charged your Visa card on order. I'm fairly certain Lowes (like most every retailer) doesn't actually charge the card until the order ships to completion. They likely put a hold on your card, which is not the same thing at all.

Like @ALLCAPS says, time to move on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1406 posts
254 upvotes
I agree that RFD never disappoints. I had my expectations set right when asking for a advise on a open public forum.
After all when you open a window for fresh air, mosquitos are bound to come in.
Thanks everyone to chime in that helped me to determine my next step.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong .
A tax is a fine for doing right .
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2847 posts
291 upvotes
This happens often. They aren’t obligated to honor an error. They didn’t take your money and run.

Most stores will give you nothing, but Home Depot sent me a $100 gift card after a cancelled order due to a price error once

You’re being unreasonable op
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)