Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] Trenz Thin LED POT Light 4- Pack $48 - Ontario Only

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2019 11:24 pm
Dec 20, 2010
369 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone recommend an installed for the Oakville/Milton area? Cheapest licensed electrician I’ve been able to find is $35 a pot light. I’m looking to get 30-40 done, I’ve already purchased 40 of these. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Gullible? Click here to find out!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1083 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
bobcat99 wrote:
May 6th, 2018 3:53 pm
Who installs these for you guys?
Installed mine myself. 12 in the living room and 15 in the kitchen so far.

Will prob be putting in another 8 in the dining room as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4063 posts
16715 upvotes
TORONTO
oo7ibm wrote:
May 6th, 2018 8:57 pm
Can anyone recommend an installed for the Oakville/Milton area? Cheapest licensed electrician I’ve been able to find is $35 a pot light. I’m looking to get 30-40 done, I’ve already purchased 40 of these. Any recommendations are appreciated.
That sounds too cheap .. others can chime in.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9266 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
I think I'm going to cave and buy some as backup in case some of my existing ones burn out. Installed the same type of pot lights but another brand. These look good though, not killer bright/harsh temp (600 lumens / 3000K)
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1875 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
which dimmer pairs up nicely with these lights?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3519 posts
2200 upvotes
Ottawa
amkorp wrote:
May 7th, 2018 12:35 am
Installed mine myself. 12 in the living room and 15 in the kitchen so far.

Will prob be putting in another 8 in the dining room as well.
How did your inspection go? My install is pretty straight forward but who knows what the inspection will turn up
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Jun 11, 2008
71 posts
2 upvotes
oo7ibm wrote:
May 6th, 2018 8:57 pm
Can you PM me the electrician contact? That sounds like a good price
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8683 posts
2400 upvotes
menmyself wrote:
May 7th, 2018 10:03 am
Can you PM me the electrician contact? That sounds like a good price
Wouldn't an electrician be different than someone who just does potlights.
I had an electrician come in and he made sound a lot more complicated than just a potlights installer.
Mar 2, 2014
8 posts
Carbonear
no as electrical is a compulsory trade there is no legal "pot light installer" also you can't just keep adding lights onto one circuit and hope for the best you have to actually figure out what's on that circuit and not overload it or it will trip on you. These are 3000k which are a garbage light color you should be looking at 4000k as 3000k is quite yellow. The ones at costco are garbage for another reason and that's the design, you're installer will hate you. $35 per potlight is pretty decent.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1083 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
Konowl wrote:
May 7th, 2018 9:44 am
How did your inspection go? My install is pretty straight forward but who knows what the inspection will turn up
It was painless. I have a dedicated circuit for lighting, so that falls under the known load rule and my load meets the max criteria for the 15 amp circuit so I was good. Inspector just made sure wires were going through joists and since it's a main floor/dry install had no issues with insulation contact or water ingress worries.

Are you running yours on a dedicated circuit or is it a mixed load circuit with other receptacles? Any insulation/wet location installs?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2873 posts
627 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
bobcat99 wrote:
May 8th, 2018 10:52 am
Wouldn't an electrician be different than someone who just does potlights.
I had an electrician come in and he made sound a lot more complicated than just a potlights installer.
Perhaps I am misreading your post but there should not be a "potlight installer". The only 2 people that can legally install these in your home is you as the home owner, OR a licensed electrician. And that electrician either works for a licensed electrical contractor or has their own master's license.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1083 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
ghaldos wrote:
May 8th, 2018 11:30 am
no as electrical is a compulsory trade there is no legal "pot light installer" also you can't just keep adding lights onto one circuit and hope for the best you have to actually figure out what's on that circuit and not overload it or it will trip on you. These are 3000k which are a garbage light color you should be looking at 4000k as 3000k is quite yellow. The ones at costco are garbage for another reason and that's the design, you're installer will hate you. $35 per potlight is pretty decent.
You sir/madam have no knowledge about light colour temperature. 3000K is far from "quite yellow". I bet your house looks like a morgue with all of your 4000K lighting. Why stop at 4K why not get 6000K instead? I hear they make really good HID kits with slim ballasts you might be interested in for your bedroom. I hear it provides a very nice light output for reading before bed.

Have you even see what the 3000K lights looks like?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9266 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Lol, colour temperature is all personal preference in the end.

I like 3K all around, wife likes 5K in the kitchen for ease of cleaning, cooking, visibility. To boot, we also have some 4K lights in bathrooms as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8683 posts
2400 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote:
May 8th, 2018 12:52 pm
Perhaps I am misreading your post but there should not be a "potlight installer". The only 2 people that can legally install these in your home is you as the home owner, OR a licensed electrician. And that electrician either works for a licensed electrical contractor or has their own master's license.
What I mean is a an electrician that quoted me was making this more complicated than a company, with an ESA number, that specializes in doing potlights.

For eg the electrician talks about "Cut a six inch wide, room long swath of drywall out to facilitate the installation of the new wiring and pot lights" This adds time and money to the job.
Feb 28, 2016
727 posts
395 upvotes
The swath might be a needed step depending on what type of construction he's dealing with. Running wiring in the finished portions of a house can be a painful task.