• Mar 10th, 2019 11:24 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1081 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
ghaldos wrote:
May 9th, 2018 10:11 pm
I'm drunk as hell right now so yeah. IT IS NOT PERFECTLY FINE TO GO THROUGH CEILING RAFTERS, you go on top with protection NOT THROUGH
Even if you were "sober as hell right now" you've lost all credibility. I feel sorry for anyone who gets electrical work done by you. In fact, I can say with certainty that you are not even an electrician at all.

Have a good "drunk as hell right now" night.
Mar 2, 2014
8 posts
Carbonear
ChicoQuente wrote:
May 9th, 2018 10:19 pm
So if you are on the ground floor of a 2 story home how do you get your wires for your lights across the room? You can not possibly go above the joists unless you're suggesting the flooring above should sit directly on your wires. You're giving incorrect advice. You can absolutely drill through the joists and you'd be hard pressed to find a home that isn't wired this way. Considering you're "drunk as hell" perhaps wait until you've sobered up to post installation advice.
Lol I actually set you up for this on purpose, it's fun for me I like a little bait, but yes in that instance you are allowed to do it but how you or whoever worded it (I honestly don't care who it was at this point just having a little fun) is that you could drill through ceiling "joists". lol man I could be plastered as hell and still school you in it.
Mar 2, 2014
8 posts
Carbonear
amkorp wrote:
May 9th, 2018 11:21 pm
Even if you were "sober as hell right now" you've lost all credibility. I feel sorry for anyone who gets electrical work done by you. In fact, I can say with certainty that you are not even an electrician at all.

Have a good "drunk as hell right now" night.
How did I lose credibility? By having intimate knowledge about something and proving grammar nazis wrong?
Mar 2, 2014
8 posts
Carbonear
cidkramer wrote:
May 9th, 2018 1:11 pm
Being an electrician, your input is for install only, defects / replacements... commenting on products is your own bias.

Never ask a trade any technical product questions, they just don't have the background knowledge unless they've been specifically trained on that specific product or its a hobby; especially given what their job is (maintenance, repair, install).
An electricians knowledge is so broad when it comes to household electrical, there's no real insight into product quality or specifications.. other than if they know what cheap product works best (since they'll install the cheapest thing typically if you hire them to replace something).

My personal gripe is I have a light that I can't reach that electricians installed when the house was built.. I need specific scaffolding (ladders wont do) installed on my stairs to reach it, to change a light-bulb or the fixture.. someone with common decency wouldn't have put it in such an awkward location, but that's what you get with a trade.. they don't look beyond the original install.. not their job.

If anyone is looking for comments on products, perhaps talk to an interior designer or architect or engineer.. people that actually specify products and know what works and what doesn't.
Its like asking a plumber which toilet is best... They can install it and make sure it is plumbed, but don't expect any real knowledge other than which are the bad products they've run into.

Don't expect anything from the manufacturer either other than troubleshooting help.. they won't tell you their product is crap or another product is better... just look at the person on this thread that is from the manufacturer of trenz lighting, biased opinions and didn't like the fact that costco lighting was being mentioned as an alternative. The additional thing to that is, they don't openly identify as a manufacturer rep, so they're hiding amongst everyone pretending to be a forumer.. makes me less likely to come here for anything.
About that light you're having problems with, I don't know where it's to but that was a bad electrician that did the job. An electrician should very much so think of the customer and the ease of doing something we have to learn so much it's not even funny and that's one of the things you learn about. I don't know how you're builder had everything set up so I can't say for sure if the person was a bad electrician or not as sometimes buildings get changed slightly which could completely ruin placement. As far as the comment on lighting I can pretty much tell you the LED section came out of one of 3 places from china which don't need to be CSA approved as they're low voltage and then it's completed with CSA approved box and transformer. more or less all led fixtures like this are the same.
Mar 26, 2018
7 posts
Anyone will to sell a few packs of their lights?

Willing to purchase at sale price.
Mar 11, 2004
372 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
paintballdude05 wrote:
May 9th, 2018 11:50 am
You definitely need that connector. You can get metal or plastic ones. The metal ones are more expensive and keep the wire a bit more secure.
What is the name of those connectors? What is the cost difference for plastic vs metal? Is it better to get it from an electrical supply store or big box store?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1438 posts
962 upvotes
Montreal
deluxster wrote:
May 10th, 2018 9:49 pm
What is the name of those connectors? What is the cost difference for plastic vs metal? Is it better to get it from an electrical supply store or big box store?
Metal is more solid and reusable. Worth it over plastic IMO.

It is called "loomex connector" and you need the 3/8" size:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.38-i ... 37945.html

There's different design but the above is my prefered kind. It just works nicely with one or two wires.
Dec 2, 2005
77 posts
5 upvotes
Anyone know if these look good as outdoor pot lights? My main concern is the beam angle is 120 degrees which may be too wide and dim for outdoor accent lighting on softfits
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2046 posts
413 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Any tips on how to remove it from ceiling ? :)
Those springs are holding that thing really well.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2007
1116 posts
192 upvotes
Busman05 wrote:
May 10th, 2018 8:10 pm
Anyone will to sell a few packs of their lights?

Willing to purchase at sale price.
I have a few extra if anyone is interested.
Mar 6, 2005
615 posts
162 upvotes
Anyone have a spare pack they would be willing to part with in the GTA??

Thanks T
Oct 14, 2018
1 posts
Fritz the Cat wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 5:09 pm
I personally can't say much about Eboka. But FOR SURE they are not made in my factory.
Junction box is smaller, wiring compartment is smaller, you don't need your key to open mine (LOL) and the blue ground wire would make me suspicious as to just how and if they have electrical approval. Ground is green. That's all there is to it.
No lifetime warranty, no one to call when there's an issue.
Just my two cents.
Hey there
Eboka employee here :D
Yes you are right we are not made by the same factory I am sure about that : D
there are some reason of those pictures lol
1. the junction box is actually quite big. it can't be any bigger cuz they need to go into a 4 inch hole.
2. not every customer know how to open it at their first time, so we put an "easiest way" instruction there. sure you don't need a key lol. basically, any metal piece can open it
3.don't worry :D , they are csa and ul approved. sure about that. there is 5 years warranty, and you can google our number to make a call, no problem.
4. The wire, you are right, they should be green. Actually, they are green, they are not blue. that's our first time trying Amazon, so please forgive our bad photographing skills and the cheap camera lol
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1555 posts
846 upvotes
Kitchener
kuzi wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 12:01 am
I have a few extra if anyone is interested.
Do you still have some extras?