Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

Chamberlain 1/2 MyQ

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2017 12:55 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4777 posts
5071 upvotes
East GTA
Striker317 wrote: If you want to control this through the internet, yes, you would need the MyQ Internet Gateway.
http://www.chamberlain.com/smartphone-c ... et-gateway

Same with the Canadian Tire product someone else posted in this thread.
How does the gateway installation work? I assume you mount it beside the opener on the ceiling and plug it into a port of some sort?
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
134 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
redkulat wrote: How does the gateway installation work? I assume you mount it beside the opener on the ceiling and plug it into a port of some sort?
Connect to an electrical outlet. Connect via CAT5 to gateway. Go online and pair w GDO. Done.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4777 posts
5071 upvotes
East GTA
What are the pros and cons of a chain drive vs. belt drive?

Reading other threads the general consensus is:

Pros (Chain Drive):
Tougher build, less likely to break
Cheaper than belt drive

Pros (Belt Drive):
Much quieter than the chain drive
Lifetime warranty on belt
Less maintenance required

Cons (Chain Drive):
Likely to rust over time, some maintenance required
Louder opening, can feel/hear it in older houses

Cons (Belt Drive):
More likely to snap/tear
More expensive
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337
Jan 13, 2007
443 posts
47 upvotes
Barrie
I've read some other thread about the need for Wi-Fi gateway. I bought mine from Costco.ca but unfortunately the bundle did not include at the time. This was the recent sale for the 3/4 belt drive.
I dont think I need the gateway but bought it anyway. It's easy enough to return it if it's not needed. I'm pretty sure my model did say ENABLED.
Sep 26, 2006
877 posts
253 upvotes
North York
xeryusdvirus wrote: I've read some other thread about the need for Wi-Fi gateway. I bought mine from Costco.ca but unfortunately the bundle did not include at the time. This was the recent sale for the 3/4 belt drive.
I dont think I need the gateway but bought it anyway. It's easy enough to return it if it's not needed. I'm pretty sure my model did say ENABLED.
If the exterior shell of the GDO is blue and it has the symbol WiFi on it, then it has built in wifi. (at present time, all Chamberlain GDO models with built in WiFi have a blue shell, but that's not to say all Chamberlain GDO with blue shells mean that it has built in WiFi)
(ie this one https://www.costco.ca/Chamberlain-%C2%B ... 18331.html)

Otherwise, you will need the MyQ Internet Gateway if you want to control MyQ features from the internet.

MyQ enabled does not mean that you can control it from the internet.

You can control MyQ devices only if there is built-in WiFi or if you have the MyQ Internet Gateway.
Jan 13, 2007
443 posts
47 upvotes
Barrie
My Chamberlain opener is now installed and has a WIFI built in to the unit. The range is definitely an improvement than my Craftsman opener. Ron (installer from RFD recommendations) came up to Barrie & did the work for me.

I will be returning the Gateway MyQ to Costco since I didn't need it after all.
Sep 26, 2006
877 posts
253 upvotes
North York
xeryusdvirus wrote: My Chamberlain opener is now installed and has a WIFI built in to the unit. The range is definitely an improvement than my Craftsman opener. Ron (installer from RFD recommendations) came up to Barrie & did the work for me.

I will be returning the Gateway MyQ to Costco since I didn't need it after all.
I'm quite sure the GDO you have installed is not the same as the model from Lowes that referred to in your original post.
Jan 13, 2007
443 posts
47 upvotes
Barrie
Striker317 wrote: I'm quite sure the GDO you have installed is not the same as the model from Lowes that referred to in your original post.
On my original post I did mention that I purchased my GDO from Costco.
I found this deal and shared it. That is what we do here in RFD. Right???
Jan 13, 2007
443 posts
47 upvotes
Barrie
It was on my second post that I clarified that my opener was from a different store. Not the one from Lowe's.
Sep 26, 2006
877 posts
253 upvotes
North York
xeryusdvirus wrote: On my original post I did mention that I purchased my GDO from Costco.
I found this deal and shared it. That is what we do here in RFD. Right???
Your original post doesn't mention anything about the different model GDO you purchased at Costco (it's only post 3 that you mention that you got a different GDO at Costco).

Just want to make sure people don't get confused, since the GDO in your original post does not have built in WiFi, despite what you claim there.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
dethrock wrote: You should be good. I've got a double car garage and my 1/2 hp Chamberlain opens it just fine.
If your door is probably balanced with proper springs and all, it should make zero difference. When opener disconnected, You should be able to open the door (single or double) with relatively little effort.

I used to have an old double garage door, made of heavy wood, springs in poor shape, and an old Sears chain drive 1/2HP opener which lasted close to 20yrs.
Then about 7 yrs ago, I replaced my double door with a newer more efficient insulated galvanized metal lighter door. This time, instead of using side springs, I chose the overhead torsion spring. I also went with a 3/4 HP Belt drive lift master opener (pretty much a commercial version of the chamberlain). A lot quieter than the old opener, but pretty much same speed. I disconnect the opener, and the door slides super easy open and close. Very little effort, and no worries about it dangerously coming down .
a little over a year ago, I helped my sister replace her GDO, and we got a chamberlain 1/2HP, Belt Drive, with battery backup, which we got on sale an HD... WOW.. That this is super silent. It uses a DC motor, and it is super smooth.. Starts super slowly, so no jerky start when opening.. And slows down as it comes to full open position.. And same in reverse.. Is comes to a super smooth stop. I like it so much, it is so smooth and quiet, that even though my GDO works fine, I am tempted to replace it :)
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
The spring of my garage door is broken,think about this one.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1241 posts
620 upvotes
The 6ix
If your garage is attached to your house I highly recommended a belt drive unit over a chain.
Sep 26, 2006
877 posts
253 upvotes
North York
rui wrote: The spring of my garage door is broken,think about this one.
If the springs for your garage door are broken, you absolutely have to fix that first.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Striker317 wrote: If the springs for your garage door are broken, you absolutely have to fix that first.
Is it included in the package or I can buy part myself,don't even know the where should I start,totally no idea.Any advise?
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Sep 26, 2006
877 posts
253 upvotes
North York
rui wrote: Is it included in the package or I can buy part myself,don't even know the where should I start,totally no idea.Any advise?
Garage door openers do not come with hardware for your door. You'd have to get the springs fixed separate of the garage door opener.
Most garage door installers also know how to install new springs.

A quick search of these forums should yield you a reputable garage door installer who can also fix your springs.

Keep in mind, if you have a really old garage door, you might be better off replacing the whole garage door.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Striker317 wrote: Garage door openers do not come with hardware for your door. You'd have to get the springs fixed separate of the garage door opener.
Most garage door installers also know how to install new springs.

A quick search of these forums should yield you a reputable garage door installer who can also fix your springs.

Keep in mind, if you have a really old garage door, you might be better off replacing the whole garage door.
Thank you so much, will do.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1136 posts
634 upvotes
wolfpack27616 wrote: OP- Could you please confirm if you are sure that this model has wifi and does not need the gateway to be purchased separately? Couple of people here have posted that it does not have built in wifi.
OP, could you please update the post with clarifying the wifi feature , many RFDers may not read full thread and buy from the first post description.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Current condition, will update later.
Images
  • IMG_4869.JPG
  • IMG_4870.JPG
  • IMG_4871.JPG
  • IMG_4872.JPG
  • IMG_4873.JPG
  • IMG_4874.JPG
  • IMG_4875.JPG
  • IMG_4876.JPG
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Mar 22, 2015
23 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hello everyone, for those interested CT is having a 200$ off on a belt driven GDO currently at $249