• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2015 10:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 16, 2009
14 posts

Lowes USA and Lowes CANADA - BIG PRICE DIFFERENCE

I am shopping for a dishwasher and notice the following price discrepancy for Lowes USA to Lowes CANADA.

KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDC10FXSS $998 CANADA

This dishwasher can be purchased as Lowes USA for $719.10

I live in Ottawa and have purchased many things in Ogdensburg, NY. It is only a 1 hour drive which is about 20 dollars in gas.
I usually fill up my tank in the US which helps savings and shop at the Walmart and Grocery store there.
You only pay HST at the border and drive right through. Very easy and not intimidating at all.

Plus when you pay HST, you are only paying it on $719, not $998......!!

Lets buy as much as possible cross border to teach Canadian stores not to gouge us...
37 replies
Jun 2, 2008
485 posts
47 upvotes
hottubbrad wrote:
Dec 18th, 2011 2:55 pm
Lets buy as much as possible cross border to teach Canadian stores not to gouge us...

Done and done!
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
Way to go.. only sheep shop in Crapada and support extortionist retailers.. I buy EVERYTHING I can in the US... I support competition not complacency
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
201 upvotes
So, you were surprised that a retail store in canada was higher than in the united states?

Seriously guys.. the minimum wage is $3 more expensive in Ontario than NY state. Electricity is more expensive, water, gas, and real estate. Its fairly obvious why things are more expensive, its not a big conspiracy. But, by all means, go shop in the states if you really want too.
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
206 upvotes
jason9945 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2011 8:44 pm
So, you were surprised that a retail store in canada was higher than in the united states?

Seriously guys.. the minimum wage is $3 more expensive in Ontario than NY state. Electricity is more expensive, water, gas, and real estate. Its fairly obvious why things are more expensive, its not a big conspiracy. But, by all means, go shop in the states if you really want too.

also no warranty on it so you gotta drive it back to the states
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2628 posts
709 upvotes
Lethbridge
Um this is news?

Just wait until the OP discovers what the price difference on vehicles is - we'll get an ALL CAPS TITLE, lawl.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1686 posts
272 upvotes
Most of my shipping is in the US. Sorry Canada cuz unless the various levels of governments clue in, more of my dollars heading south of the border.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16922 posts
2645 upvotes
Toronto
What do you drive that uses $20 in gas per hour?

Household items in general are more expensive up here. When it comes to things like furniture we're getting gouged like you wouldn't believe. For most large purchases you're better off just driving it back from a state with low sales taxes and paying the full border taxes on the lower amount.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
79 upvotes
Since OP is new to this game s/he might also want to checkout the UPS store in Oggie as well, for the receiving of packages ordered online or via mail order :)

If you get their $50 card, packages are only $4 and change per box vs. the usual $5 ($3 for envelopes). Their hours are good, open 6 days a week, and all 7 days in the run up to Christmas.

I got my snowblower (and MANY other things) at that Lowes location: $900 vs $1,699 at Crappy Tire. Say no more...
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
Busfan wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 9:16 am
Lowes is free to choose where they spend their advertising dollars, but I can also choose where to spend my money, and it ain't gonna be with them.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment ... ds-111212/

Exactly. I've always spent my money at HD, and as a contractor that's ALOT of money...after seeing how Lowe's listened to customer complaints and acted on it, I opened a contractor account and go there as often as I can. Prior to this I had stepped in there a handful of times.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1061 posts
109 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 3:41 am
What do you drive that uses $20 in gas per hour?

Household items in general are more expensive up here. When it comes to things like furniture we're getting gouged like you wouldn't believe. For most large purchases you're better off just driving it back from a state with low sales taxes and paying the full border taxes on the lower amount.

a truck?

unless you know how to get a dishwasher into a honda fit?
Jun 3, 2010
799 posts
198 upvotes
Richmond Hill
totheh8ters wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 10:14 am
a truck?

unless you know how to get a dishwasher into a honda fit?

Maybe you can put your Fit into the dishwasher and drive that back? :D
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2887 posts
1554 upvotes
Ottawa
hottubbrad wrote:
Dec 18th, 2011 2:55 pm
I am shopping for a dishwasher and notice the following price discrepancy for Lowes USA to Lowes CANADA.

KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDC10FXSS $998 CANADA

This dishwasher can be purchased as Lowes USA for $719.10

I live in Ottawa and have purchased many things in Ogdensburg, NY. It is only a 1 hour drive which is about 20 dollars in gas.
I usually fill up my tank in the US which helps savings and shop at the Walmart and Grocery store there.
You only pay HST at the border and drive right through. Very easy and not intimidating at all.

Plus when you pay HST, you are only paying it on $719, not $998......!!

I actually bought a Bosch dishwasher at the beginning of the year from Lowes Ogdensburg. Can't remember the exact details, but I BELIEVE it was $950 up here and was on sale for $450 in the States.

I asked Lowes in Orleans to price match - they refused. I ordered the unit online (from Ogdensburg) figuring it would take a week to get it in stock. They phoned me 2 hours later saying it was ready for pickup, so off I went. Grabbed my dad for company and headed down. No duty coming back as it was manufactured (or put together who knows) in USA. Saved a pile of money at the time. Couldn't beleive how much I saved, to be honest.

Where is the grocery store there? I love the Lowes, but that walmart is a duuuuump.