None
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4094 upvotes
Ottawa
Konowl wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 12:00 pm

Where is the grocery store there? I love the Lowes, but that walmart is a duuuuump.

Price Chopper is LITERALLY across the street from Walmart. You can't miss it.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
201 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 3:41 am
What do you drive that uses $20 in gas per hour?

Household items in general are more expensive up here. When it comes to things like furniture we're getting gouged like you wouldn't believe. For most large purchases you're better off just driving it back from a state with low sales taxes and paying the full border taxes on the lower amount.

Uhhhh. Ottawa to Ogensburg round trip = 200km, 125 Mi. $20 = 5.7 gallons, at 3.50 a gallon.

125 mi / 5.7 gallons = 22mpg. What doesn't get 22mpg highway?

$20 in gas per hour would be 13mpg. I suppose he could be driving a f350 or gmc 3500. Even then thats a bit steep.
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
185 upvotes
Gatineau
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 9:24 am
Exactly. I've always spent my money at HD, and as a contractor that's ALOT of money...after seeing how Lowe's listened to customer complaints and acted on it, I opened a contractor account and go there as often as I can. Prior to this I had stepped in there a handful of times.
I`m going to be doing a home renovation in the new year and Lowes certainly has my business now. I wonder if that poster is going to quit going to McDonalds and shopping at Amazon also since they did the same thing?
Sep 26, 2010
670 posts
85 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 12:00 pm
I actually bought a Bosch dishwasher at the beginning of the year from Lowes Ogdensburg. Can't remember the exact details, but I BELIEVE it was $950 up here and was on sale for $450 in the States.

I asked Lowes in Orleans to price match - they refused. I ordered the unit online (from Ogdensburg) figuring it would take a week to get it in stock. They phoned me 2 hours later saying it was ready for pickup, so off I went. Grabbed my dad for company and headed down. No duty coming back as it was manufactured (or put together who knows) in USA. Saved a pile of money at the time. Couldn't beleive how much I saved, to be honest.

Where is the grocery store there? I love the Lowes, but that walmart is a duuuuump.

I am considering doing the same thing! Can you tell me though how to order from the Lowes.com USA site using a Canadian billing address? The site has a drop-down menu to input state of residence...
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10819 posts
2161 upvotes
Kingston
jason9945 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 2:16 pm
Uhhhh. Ottawa to Ogensburg round trip = 200km, 125 Mi. $20 = 5.7 gallons, at 3.50 a gallon.

125 mi / 5.7 gallons = 22mpg. What doesn't get 22mpg highway?

$20 in gas per hour would be 13mpg. I suppose he could be driving a f350 or gmc 3500. Even then thats a bit steep.

Chill man. This thread isn't about Op's off-the-cuff estimate of his gas costs. Does it really matter if it is $20 or $5? (answer is "no").
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
201 upvotes
JWL wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2011 10:16 pm
Chill man. This thread isn't about Op's off-the-cuff estimate of his gas costs. Does it really matter if it is $20 or $5? (answer is "no").

Uhhh, my point was that his gas estimate was actually accurate. :facepalm:

I'll give you a second to re-read it if you want :D
Aug 20, 2010
287 posts
75 upvotes
nagasadow wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 1:19 am
also no warranty on it so you gotta drive it back to the states

It depends on the manufacturer. Read the warranty cards/manuals

Some of the price differences can be explained by the Grey Market
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market
Basically an item meant to be sold in one Market (USA) is being sold in another (Canada).
It's legal and yet if you were to sell the USA dishwasher in Canada, the dishwasher could be considered counterfeit since it wasn't meant for this market.

I guess this is an older way of operating a business to have different prices in different countries, pricing the item higher or lower so it'll be affordable to that market.
ie: Someone in Brazil earning minimum wage (R$2.48 = $1.33 USD) per hour wouldn't be able to afford a dishwasher priced at $719 USD
Minimum wage in Ontario is $10.25cad / hr while NY has a minimum wage of $7.25usd / hr
So this helps explain *some* of the discrepancy, but not all of it.
There's likely still price gouging going on though because of the currency exchange rates.

Anyways, If the warranty is only meant for the USA, the simplest solution: "I used to live in NY, but I moved to Canada." Just state that to the company. Most companies will then still service/honor your warranty.
Mar 17, 2009
167 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
Some of the price differences are also due to the fact that it costs a lot more to do business in Canada.

Gas is approximately 25% more expensive (in Ontario than in NY state). That added cost gets built into the price.

I don't have the numbers, but it has been reported in the media that duties on imports (non-NAFTA of course) are MUCH higher here than in the USA. I remember reading an article in the Star which told the story of a indpendant retailler who had stores in Ontario and NY, and accompanying it was a graph showing why he had to charge more for the same jacket in Ontario than in NY. Top of the list was the import duty from Chinese made goods. It was in the neighbourhood of 25% here.... and 0 in NY. I think they showcased a high end winter jacket that had a cost to him of about $200 before duties.... which meant that automatically the cost rose to $250 here before adding in his markup. That extra duty gets passed onto you.

And, as other posters have mentioned, lots of other expenses like wages and so on are higher here.... thats all passed onto you.....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4255 posts
1660 upvotes
There's a difference between modest price differences adjusting for the differences in income, population, shipping and handling, etc. etc. and downright gouging, as is the case mentioned in the OP. I try to either simply shop in the US for such products or if my patriotic side kicks in, I try to buy another brand that doesn't gouge poor Canadians.
up to 10% price difference difference = fair
20% difference = unethical
>30% difference = downright criminal
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
201 upvotes
ilove wrote:
Dec 24th, 2011 3:01 am
There's a difference between modest price differences adjusting for the differences in income, population, shipping and handling, etc. etc. and downright gouging, as is the case mentioned in the OP. I try to either simply shop in the US for such products or if my patriotic side kicks in, I try to buy another brand that doesn't gouge poor Canadians.
up to 10% price difference difference = fair
20% difference = unethical
>30% difference = downright criminal

But what if 30% higher than the US price is still below their cost? Is that still unethical? :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4255 posts
1660 upvotes
jason9945 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2011 12:50 pm
But what if 30% higher than the US price is still below their cost? Is that still unethical? :facepalm:

No business sells products/goods below cost. If that continues, the business would go bankrupt. Don't kid yourselves, manufacturers and retailers are raking it in Canada, taking advantage of non-competitive markets and sheep consumerism.

Like I said, a modest difference in prices might be expected across the border, but there's simply no excuse for gouging. I've even seen a 100% price difference for a product sold in both countries.
Also, if gouging is so inevitable, there's no way to explain how SOME companies (like Apple for example) are able to sell products in Canada with nearly identical pricing with prices in the US.
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
73 upvotes
bratman wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2011 11:18 pm
Some of the price differences are also due to the fact that it costs a lot more to do business in Canada.

Gas is approximately 25% more expensive (in Ontario than in NY state). That added cost gets built into the price.

I don't have the numbers, but it has been reported in the media that duties on imports (non-NAFTA of course) are MUCH higher here than in the USA. I remember reading an article in the Star which told the story of a indpendant retailler who had stores in Ontario and NY, and accompanying it was a graph showing why he had to charge more for the same jacket in Ontario than in NY. Top of the list was the import duty from Chinese made goods. It was in the neighbourhood of 25% here.... and 0 in NY. I think they showcased a high end winter jacket that had a cost to him of about $200 before duties.... which meant that automatically the cost rose to $250 here before adding in his markup. That extra duty gets passed onto you.

And, as other posters have mentioned, lots of other expenses like wages and so on are higher here.... thats all passed onto you.....

It does and it doesn't. According to the Bank of Canada, there's less competition in Canada than in the US and only about 2% of Canadians doing cross-border shopping so it's negligible, thus Canadian retailers and maufacturers charge higher prices because they can. According to The Canada Press:
[Bank of Canada Governor, Mark] Carney also shot down a complaint often cited by the Retail Council of Canada that tariffs can add up to 18 per cent on the imported costs of some consumer items.

Last month, Finance Department officials testified that most goods that cross the border are duty free and where duties do apply, they tend to be small.

Carney said the central bank has not done a detailed analysis of tariffs, but voiced the same opinion. "While there are tariff differentials, the differences are not that large," he said.
Aug 15, 2005
52 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
I'd like to add my 2-cents that Lowes (Canada) has a pretty crappy business model; One day I go in to look for a 3-tier wired shelf and I saw it for $29.99. This was a regular tagged item (no yellow sticker, no markdown indicated). The next day (today) I go back it's jacked up to $49.99. WTF!! almost 50% price jump/gouge! I checked google cached site and it was last listed at $29.99 on Oct 31st, 2015 (2 days ago). The stock level didn't even budge since I last checked; it's the same inventory. I reached out to the store manager and even online customer service and no one can explain the price jump. The store manager tries to make up dumb reason like the Canadian dollar is falling, commodity prices are rising, etc... He can't even make up a proper story!

Google link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ca

Lowe's product page: https://www.lowes.ca/free-standing-shel ... 93167.html
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
azndoodle wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 10:57 pm
I'd like to add my 2-cents that Lowes (Canada) has a pretty crappy business model; One day I go in to look for a 3-tier wired shelf and I saw it for $29.99. This was a regular tagged item (no yellow sticker, no markdown indicated). The next day (today) I go back it's jacked up to $49.99. WTF!! almost 50% price jump/gouge! I checked google cached site and it was last listed at $29.99 on Oct 31st, 2015 (2 days ago). The stock level didn't even budge since I last checked; it's the same inventory. I reached out to the store manager and even online customer service and no one can explain the price jump. The store manager tries to make up dumb reason like the Canadian dollar is falling, commodity prices are rising, etc... He can't even make up a proper story!

Google link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ca

Lowe's product page: https://www.lowes.ca/free-standing-shel ... 93167.html
do they need to provide you a reason for when an item goes on sale too?
i have the same shelf ( home depot sells it under their Honey can do brand, ikea also sells the same shelf)
you should have snatched it up at $30
its on "sale" at depot for 74.97
Aug 15, 2005
52 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
If it was on sale, having a promotional discount or an indication that this was a reduced price item I would have bought it. The item was priced at regular price according to lowes.ca website and at the store and I should be able to return in a reasonable time frame and purchase the same item at the same price; This indicates a misleading selling price representation. The second fold is the manager tries to bogus me with micro-economics and clearly their inventory didn't even budge.