Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

YMMV Nest Protect for 50% off

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2019 9:24 am
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1389 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
mf1982 wrote: I live in a house built in the 60's so no wired smoke detectors at all, no code violation at all. Even in my 1980's vintage house there was only one wired smoke detector.

These Nest units are far superior to any other smoke detector I have ever had. The communication between the units is excellent, reports are published monthly to keep you in the loop. They tell you where they detect smoke and report when the batteries are low.

I am looking for another couple of units (I have 3 now, one on each floor) for my home, so I'll keep my eye out for this great deal.
U4LIFE wrote: wrong, they use independant weeve network for protect to protect comms.. I have 7 of them in my house, they work fine with wifi down and power out.

Just curious, how often are you people experiencing smoke or CO2 in your homes for these reports to be of any use? I think I've burned something on the stove once in over 30 years that has set off a smoke detector.

Also, why do you need 7 of these in the home? Other than detecting smoke and CO2 I can see it can be used as night light, pretty expensive night light though.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1880 posts
1820 upvotes
Maple leafs
amkorp wrote: Just curious, how often are you people experiencing smoke or CO2 in your homes for these reports to be of any use? I think I've burned something on the stove once in over 30 years that has set off a smoke detector.

Also, why do you need 7 of these in the home? Other than detecting smoke and CO2 I can see it can be used as night light, pretty expensive night light though.
One on each floor (3), one in each bedroom (4)... pretty standard for a new build.

also only had them go off ocne from real smoke (wife left something on broil too long)... otherwise I have tested them a couple times with lighting a smoke stick.

the reports are kinda dumb.. you are right, how often, other than a power outage, does the report say anything other than good.

the nightlight feature is awesome
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
U4LIFE wrote: wrong, they use independant weeve network for protect to protect comms.. I have 7 of them in my house, they work fine with wifi down and power out.
It won't notify you on your phone, if your phone is at home tho right?
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1880 posts
1820 upvotes
Maple leafs
tatung wrote: It won't notify you on your phone, if your phone is at home tho right?
Those extra external notifications, email/app/etc obviously need the internet, so wifi would have to be active on at least on of the protects to get the message out.
Nov 10, 2013
259 posts
228 upvotes
SaiveMe wrote: Can you please share a pic of coupon and receipt. Not sure how anyone is able to get this deal otherwise?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2960 posts
2337 upvotes
Calgary
Rakkaus wrote: Image
Thanks. Wish I got these coupons in the mail. I’d get another Nest Protect for sure (only have one so far and agree with the others that it’s far superior to my other dumb smoke detectors in every way).
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
I think this is where a lot of the confusion comes from: Even though Nest makes a wired version, this is what it says in the installation manual: even if your house has an interconnect wire already, you should not connect it to the Nest:

Which seems to be a violation of building code in some (most?) municipalities. I believe the building code requires all new constructions to have the interconnect wire (old homes are grandfathered in, thus you can still use battery smoke detectors there), and, if your home has the interconnect wire then you must use an interconnected smoke alarm.

We need a lawyer in here lol
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
From the Ontario Fire Code (disclaimer: it may or may not apply to you -- do you own research):
ONTARIO REGULATION 213/07

made under the

FIRE PROTECTION AND PREVENTION ACT, 1997

SECTION 9.5

BUILDINGS UP TO AND INCLUDING 6 STOREYS IN BUILDING HEIGHT WITH RESIDENTIAL OCCUPANCIES

Interconnected smoke alarms

9.5.4.4. (1) Interconnected smoke alarms required in Sentence 9.5.4.1.(2), Subclause 9.5.2.2.(3)(b)(i) or Clause 9.5.2.8.(5)(b) shall be

(a) installed on or near the ceiling in public corridors of each floor area, adjacent to each stairway serving the public corridor and on or near the ceiling in the basement, adjacent to each stairway,

(b) audible throughout the suites,

(c) connected to an electrical circuit with no disconnect switch between the overcurrent device and the smoke alarms, and

(d) listed for use in an interconnected installation.
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer
Dec 25, 2010
547 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Here is the receipt of the purchase. Still haven't had a chance to install it since it's right in front of my toddler's room and I never get a chance when she's sleeping. Is it an easy install?
Images
  • 20181210_203337.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
This seems to be official confirmation that Nest Protect is not legal in Ontario https://www.nest-community.com/s/questi ... -fire-code
Ontario Fire code stipulated the light intensity must be atleast 175cd and strobe. Please advise if the protect meets these basic standards for Ontario Canada.

>> Sheila D. | Nest Community Manager (Nest)
>> 5 months ago
>> Unfortunately at this time, the Protect does not meet the requirements that you have listed. I will bring this to the attention of the Product teams, and if there is a change in our products to meet fire code in Ontario, I'll post here.
Why the hell are they being sold here????

edit: related: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/commen ... e_of_nest/
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: This seems to be official confirmation that Nest Protect is not legal in Ontario https://www.nest-community.com/s/questi ... -fire-code

Why the hell are they being sold here????

edit: related: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/commen ... e_of_nest/
Well not every house is a new construction or undergoing major renovations that needs permit. That is the only time homeowners are required to bring it up to current code.

My inlaws house is from the 70s and does not have wired interconnected. I'll guess there are millions of similar houses in Toronto that the smoke detector can be replaced without requiring a upgrade to current building code.
Dec 9, 2018
1 posts
Without having the physical coupon is there any other way to get it 50% off? Will they accept a print out?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2695 posts
591 upvotes
North York
dayofthedeb wrote: Was it mailed specifically to you as part of a subscribed mailing list?
We moved about a month ago, and got a booklet with these coupons in it too. Toilet, 50 off a 200, extra airmiles, installation discounts and some other move type stuff.

It was sent regular mail, with our address (without our names on it.) Looked like the bar-codes on the back were individually printed, so likely a one time use coupon.

I guess I need to get out and use mine before the RFD/kijiji reseller crowd kills the deal, was hoping to wait until Jan to get them.
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
So is this a Toronto only promo? Spoke to Lowes support and they couldn't find any trace of this offer, even when calling the Milton store.

If anyone can find a promo code I'd really appreciate it! Cheers
Aug 6, 2005
601 posts
3 upvotes
Is this deal still live?
There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!

H E A T W A R E
Dec 10, 2018
1 posts
I went to the Pickering location today and the manager wouldn’t budge. Claimed the coupon is only for “dumb” detectors and not the nest despite the coupon not having an exclusion for either the brand or the technology.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2003
1081 posts
101 upvotes
Whoa! Good deal for anyone that can get the mailer coupon!
Purchased 3 of them when i moved into my house last year and they work great
Moved into a house built in the 70's and only one wired alarm on the top floor
Glad the 3 protects talk to each other
Good luck to anyone who has he coupons
Last edited by bfg_16 on Dec 12th, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
References under bfg_16 in Heatware 99-0-0,Ebay 125-0-0
Aug 6, 2005
601 posts
3 upvotes
Can you send a better pic of the coupon? I'd like to try at my local Lowes.
There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!

H E A T W A R E
Aug 16, 2017
52 posts
14 upvotes
Yeah can you send pic of front and back with exclusion, hopefully it mentions some kind of expiry date
Feb 8, 2011
665 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
rjw85 wrote: Here is the receipt of the purchase. Still haven't had a chance to install it since it's right in front of my toddler's room and I never get a chance when she's sleeping. Is it an easy install?
Yes it is, no reason you can't do it while they are sleeping.
And thanks for the upload!!