• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 6:58 pm
[OP]
Apr 9, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote

LTL domestic freight for cheap

Are there any companies like Flagship or Netparcel which provide discounts for LTL for Ontario?

Im trying to send a 250kg pallet to Amazon but its still cheaper to send as multiple parcels using Amazon.ca FBA shipping account with UPS than a pallet. Right now I am paying $0.52 - $0.58 per kg using parcel.

250kg @ $0.58/kg is $145

Heres what I've been quoted from others:

Fedex: $146.27
-Charges an extra $130 for residential (I need this)
-Pallet Jack Free
-Lift gate $126 (I need this)

...roughly $400

Purolator

~$400

If I had all the machinery and location its still cheaper to send as parcels, why is this? Does anyone have any referrals or suggestions? Im suprised LTL is still so expensive compared to parcel shipments to Amazon FBA.
16 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 26, 2017
21 posts
3 upvotes
try e-shipper from what I know they hooked me up with FedEx which didnt charge me additional for residence address.
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
There are a few online resellers who have LTL, but Freightcom in my experience has been the cheapest. We only do a pallet once or twice a month, but I used Netparcel, Eshipper and Shiptime for pallets and Freightcom was still cheaper than all of them.

I was going to check my rate for you on my account, but I really can't use what you posted for an example... I'm guessing the skid is picking up from your house and needs a tailgate.. but what amazon warehouse is it going to? Where are you located (city)?

And eshipper hooked you up with no residential fees?! how the hell you swing that?

Because it's a slow morning, I played around with it; shipped from my postal code in North York to Amazon Brampton (L6Y 0C9).. regular pallet 4x4x4 at 550LB, opted for a residential pickup, tailgate pickup and a appointment delivery and the best rate came out at less than $160
right now it's comparing apples to oranges because we don't know where it's being picked up from or what Amazon it's being delivered to.. but you definitely have better options than the rates you posted
[OP]
Apr 9, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the referral. Freightcom gave a lot more offers, although Eshipper was still cheaper on the base charge with Speedy Express by roughly $20. All the surcharges are still the same, ie: residential pickup, Lift gate, etc.

LTL would only be worthwhile if I had a loading dock and didnt need a liftgate since thats that most expensive fee at ~$50. Since im in an aprtment building this is physically impossible and I dont see it being worth my time to try and haggle some business to borrow their loading dock for the measly savings. I could only see myself doing a massive shipment like this on a pallet maybe once a month so this isnt economically feasible to me. Maybe if I get more demand I could form a relationship with a local business and ask to "borrow" one of their loading docks, but this seems like a very challenging request to make. I'd have to pay them to borrow their dock and this would cut in to any savings I had by using LTL.
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
speer123 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:01 pm
Thanks for the referral. Freightcom gave a lot more offers, although Eshipper was still cheaper on the base charge with Speedy Express by roughly $20. All the surcharges are still the same, ie: residential pickup, Lift gate, etc.

LTL would only be worthwhile if I had a loading dock and didnt need a liftgate since thats that most expensive fee at ~$50. Since im in an aprtment building this is physically impossible and I dont see it being worth my time to try and haggle some business to borrow their loading dock for the measly savings. I could only see myself doing a massive shipment like this on a pallet maybe once a month so this isnt economically feasible to me. Maybe if I get more demand I could form a relationship with a local business and ask to "borrow" one of their loading docks, but this seems like a very challenging request to make. I'd have to pay them to borrow their dock and this would cut in to any savings I had by using LTL.
You're comparing eshipper's speedy LTL rate to freightcom's? And eshipper was $20 cheaper? I find that seriously questionable.

And I'm confused.. you were asking if any one knew of a reseller that did LTL. You were given two options.. I said freightcom and someone else said eshipper.. but now you're saying it's not worthwhile? I just ran it again, and my cost is $135.75.. I don't know what you're paying for UPS or whatever but $135 isn't so bad if you ask me for the residential pick up and tailgate. And these options are far less than the $400 you were quoted by both fedex and purolator... how much cheaper do you need to be?
Apr 2, 2017
18 posts
We had gotten some amazing rates from eShipper too back in feb, right from the start. we are doing only 3 to 4 LTL a month but a ton of courier (almost 25 a day).

Try your luck with this promotion coupus code thing we used to sign up- 8287, i haven't seen this code posted anywhere but we got it from our account manager.
hope this helps you.
cheers!
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
i spoke with someone from eshipper a while ago the last time you pimped this promo code. since i already had an account, i wanted them to apply the discount for me. the customer service rep i was speaking with told me that they don't issue discounts through these promo codes, they are just to track how people find them online or through their sales people. I still needed to speak with an "account manager" to discuss my volumes so they could put together a plan (or program.. can't remember the term they used). it reminded me of exactly what i needed to do with UPS, give them data so they can find out how much they can make from our company. they joy I had working with netparcel/freightcom and even eshipper for a few odd ball shipments was that i could log in, compare everyone's rates and ship with who ever was the cheapest. there's too much competition out there now for me to beg/lie about volumes to get better pricing.

everyone, just do your own homework... sign up and compare rates. they all have good customer service, so don't waste time with setting up programs or whatever. if you have the time for that, call UPS direct and actually negotiate nose to nose.
Apr 2, 2017
18 posts
coangr- i really dont appreciate the tone of your message. I thought this forum was about helping each other?
if something did help me and i am suggesting that to other members how is that "pimping". Everyone has their own perspective of handling their business and working with an account manager/giving them our data actually did work. i am not sure if i told you this but we were referred by our supplier so i had trust factor built in from someone who is already using and liking the rates/service. the hesitance is understandable if the trust isnt there. anyway try or dont try that really upto the individual.
Cheers!
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2777 posts
310 upvotes
Alberta
robshipper wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 9:48 am
coangr- i really dont appreciate the tone of your message. I thought this forum was about helping each other?
if something did help me and i am suggesting that to other members how is that "pimping". Everyone has their own perspective of handling their business and working with an account manager/giving them our data actually did work. i am not sure if i told you this but we were referred by our supplier so i had trust factor built in from someone who is already using and liking the rates/service. the hesitance is understandable if the trust isnt there. anyway try or dont try that really upto the individual.
Cheers!
eShipper employees are notorious for pimping around here. Shill accounts galore, fake reviews, unsolicted PMs to users, etc.. So you may not appreciate it but in the event you aren't actually an eShipper employee yourself, you should be aware of their tactics.
Jan 1, 2012
339 posts
50 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
Iv'e found a freight marketplace that is almost always cheaper than eshipper freightcom etc. for LTL (1 to multiple pallets)
Apr 6, 2017
30 posts
38 upvotes
speer123 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 6:26 pm
Are there any companies like Flagship or Netparcel which provide discounts for LTL for Ontario?

Im trying to send a 250kg pallet to Amazon but its still cheaper to send as multiple parcels using Amazon.ca FBA shipping account with UPS than a pallet. Right now I am paying $0.52 - $0.58 per kg using parcel.

250kg @ $0.58/kg is $145

Heres what I've been quoted from others:

Fedex: $146.27
-Charges an extra $130 for residential (I need this)
-Pallet Jack Free
-Lift gate $126 (I need this)

...roughly $400

Purolator

~$400

If I had all the machinery and location its still cheaper to send as parcels, why is this? Does anyone have any referrals or suggestions? Im suprised LTL is still so expensive compared to parcel shipments to Amazon FBA.
what do you sell on amazon
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
SaversSave wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:57 pm
Iv'e found a freight marketplace that is almost always cheaper than eshipper freightcom etc. for LTL (1 to multiple pallets)
Well.. pitterpatter.. share it!
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
SaversSave wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 3:45 pm
Oh here it is
https://www.freightera.com/
Ugh.. freightera sucks. i consistently compare them to freightcom. their carriers show up online today and then disappear for weeks. i hate how they don't display the all in rate (taxes).. they work with the crappiest carriers (vitran.. fastfrate and a lot of "bob's trucking services"). maybe it works for you where you're located.. we're in the GTA and freightcom's rates were always cheapest. what do you ship to get better rates? their rates online are the best they offer too.. you can't get any better.