Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17377 posts
1196 upvotes

Luc Besson's Valerian - 2017

Luc Besson's will next be adaptating a French comic, Valérian and Laureline, that first published in 1967 about a spatio-temporal agent and his female companion who travels the universe through space and time. The movie will star Clive Owen as Commander Arün Filitt along with Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne as Valérian and Laureline. Filming is expect to begin December 2015.

The original comic inspired movies like Star Wars, Avatar and Besson's own The Fifth Element.

[IMG]http://goo.gl/9xkA8h[/IMG]

EDIT: Looks like the movie will be based on Volume 2.
Valerian and Laureline are exploring Syrte, capital planet of a system of 1,000 worlds. Their mission is to discover whether the Syrtians could present a danger to Earth. What they find is a decaying empire led by decadent aristocrats, a population ripe for revolution, and a mysterious caste of masked wise men who discreetly pull the strings from hidden fortresses. Swept up by the winds of history, the agents of Earth will have to choose a side.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
32 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14037 posts
3158 upvotes
Hmmm...never heard Lucas say he was inspired by this comic. Star Wars was originally supposed to be Flash Gordon but he couldn't get funding for a remake of the old serials starring Buster Crabbe. I watched Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars recently (along with a bunch of other serials) and other than things like atmosphere and normal gravity on Mars, I can see where Lucas lifted a lot of stuff including the scrolling credits lifted directly from the first Flash Gordon serial.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17377 posts
1196 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Aug 21st, 2015 9:49 pm
Hmmm...never heard Lucas say he was inspired by this comic. Star Wars was originally supposed to be Flash Gordon but he couldn't get funding for a remake of the old serials starring Buster Crabbe. I watched Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars recently (along with a bunch of other serials) and other than things like atmosphere and normal gravity on Mars, I can see where Lucas lifted a lot of stuff including the scrolling credits lifted directly from the first Flash Gordon serial.
Here's an article.

http://www.core77.com/posts/27528/From- ... negraveres

R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14037 posts
3158 upvotes
Interesting stuff. I knew of Besson from Metal Hurlant and later Heavy Metal, so I was familiar with his work. Let's just say then that Lucas "borrowed" a lot from various sources including Kurosawa Samurai films, Besson, Flash Gordon, various Japanese cartoons like Space Cruiser Yamato. the movie 633 Squadron (the trench sequence) etc. No one source but lots of them...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17377 posts
1196 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2015 12:04 am
Interesting stuff. I knew of Besson from Metal Hurlant and later Heavy Metal, so I was familiar with his work. Let's just say then that Lucas "borrowed" a lot from various sources including Kurosawa Samurai films, Besson, Flash Gordon, various Japanese cartoons like Space Cruiser Yamato. the movie 633 Squadron (the trench sequence) etc. No one source but lots of them...
No no. I meant Star Wars borrowed from the "Valérian and Laureline" comics by Pierre Christin & Jean-Claude Mézières. Besson worked with Mézières on The Fifth Element.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14037 posts
3158 upvotes
Oops. Also missed King Arthur and the Knights of the round table. But that's the nature of a lot of fiction anyway...use what has worked before. Has Lucas stated though this is where he got the "look and feel" or was this something his character designers lifted?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17377 posts
1196 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2015 8:17 am
Oops. Also missed King Arthur and the Knights of the round table. But that's the nature of a lot of fiction anyway...use what has worked before. Has Lucas stated though this is where he got the "look and feel" or was this something his character designers lifted?
George Lucas never credited Valérian and Laureline, only things that were available in North America was credited. He supposedly owned some of the comic. Jean-Claude Mézières mailed Lucas after the release of the original Star Wars.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture ... -valerian/
Mezieres, of course, noticed all this, telling a French magazine that he was "dazzled, jealous and angry ... I am convinced that (Lucas) has looked at my books." After some letters went unreturned, Leia and Han had a "cameo" in a Valerian comic from Pilote #113:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/IQI9QHP.jpg[/IMG]

Leia says "fancy meeting you here!" and Valerian replies "oh, we've been here for a long time".
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10541 posts
1144 upvotes
Edmonton
scoper wrote:
Dec 6th, 2015 5:16 pm
It looks like it will have a production budget of $180 mill, biggest budget European film ever.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/l ... nce-822891
Hope its a lot better than that last disaster 'lucy'...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17377 posts
1196 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote:
Dec 6th, 2015 6:00 pm
Hope its a lot better than that last disaster 'lucy'...
Getting 66% on RT and $458 million at the box office is pretty good for a disaster.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5726 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]Getting 66% on RT and $458 million at the box office is pretty good for a disaster.[/QUOTE]

people aren't very bright...me among them :confused:
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17377 posts
1196 upvotes
First official picture of the cast in costume.

R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale: