Cell Phones

Lucky Mobile Thoughts?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2019 3:19 pm
Tags:
Jun 29, 2019
3 posts

Lucky Mobile Thoughts?

I am considering swapping my father from my rogers to Lucky Mobile's $25 with 1GB plan. Anyone on lucky currently, more specifically in Calgary with thoughts on service and coverage? I know the 3G will be much slower but all he does is use the actual voice, text and browse new's articles. Or are there better alternatives? He currently has an iphone 7. Any feedback would be appreciated!
9 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
It's exactly the same as Public Mobile's "3G speed" plans. LTE, capped to 3mbps. It's actually quite usable for most people, but ESPECIALLY for low data usage folks like your father. If you know anybody on any of the Telus/Bell brands there (the top tier ones as well as Koodo, Virgin, Public), coverage/service will be identical as they're all on the same towers.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
They are a bell subsidiary, bell/telus share towers and have very good coverage in Alberta

You can get a sim card at Dollarama for $4 and there's a referral promo right now, $5/mo discount for 5 months ($25 total)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In Calgary, why not just go for Public Mobile? Same network, $2/month cheaper, etc.

The big reason I would think (and the reason I have a lucky SIM on my desk that I haven't done anything with yet) is that I would think that in Toronto, you'd be much more likely to get a 416 number out of Lucky assuming they draw from Bell's plentiful pool of 416 numbers. But in Calgary, if anything, that logic pushes one towards the Telus world...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hvwozq wrote: Remember, Public Mobile is the absolute shit tier brand with buggy website, no customer service, unreliable service from dropping calls to completely losing service, and more, whereas Lucky Mobile is simply the cheaper Bell brand with snail speed data.
Hmmm. I didn't realize that Lucky Mobile had, say, a customer service number. Thought they were just the Bell response to PM/Chatr/etc. Maybe I'll cancel my PM account then... my shiny new Lucky Mobile account is only $2 more and has a 416 number...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
VivienM wrote: Hmmm. I didn't realize that Lucky Mobile had, say, a customer service number. Thought they were just the Bell response to PM/Chatr/etc. Maybe I'll cancel my PM account then... my shiny new Lucky Mobile account is only $2 more and has a 416 number...
Chatr also provides customer service over the phone. They even have a mobile app. It's only Public Mobile that hardly even gives you what you pay for because of TELUS greed.
Jun 5, 2007
398 posts
392 upvotes
Shangri-La
hvwozq wrote: Remember, Public Mobile is the absolute shit tier brand with buggy website, no customer service, unreliable service from dropping calls to completely losing service, and more, whereas Lucky Mobile is simply the cheaper Bell brand with snail speed data.
I have two Public Mobile accounts and look after my mothers account for the last 18 months I have never lost service a least that I'm aware of and the odd dropped calls are no more no less than the Rogers services that I was using before. I simply haven't had any issues.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2016
1294 posts
684 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
i am rethinking public mobile due to lack of customer service phone number now that i will use cell phone as home phone. I see Lucky mobile has a customer service number. Has anyone had service trouble with lucky mobile in lower mainland bc?

Its true that i haven't had any trouble with rogers cell phone for work for 6 years, just thinking having public mobile for customer service is not the greatest for a home phone you rely on.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Latebuyer wrote: i am rethinking public mobile due to lack of customer service phone number now that i will use cell phone as home phone. I see Lucky mobile has a customer service number. Has anyone had service trouble with lucky mobile in lower mainland bc?

Its true that i haven't had any trouble with rogers cell phone for work for 6 years, just thinking having public mobile for customer service is not the greatest for a home phone you rely on.
do you call into customer service a lot?