• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2019 9:22 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
9673 posts
4371 upvotes

luckymobile vs public mobile

Hey guys im looking to get a couple pay as you go lines for the cars/kids if they need and was considering lucky mobile.

Can you manually port your number to them online like public mobile or do you have to call in?

Luckymobile as 99 cent sims with a $25 bonus refer a friend and public has $10 bonus then $1 per month.

[...] what would you guys recommend between the 2? id be doing $25 plans on either provider.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 16th, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: this request not allowed
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!
20 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10468 posts
9632 upvotes
I don't know anything about Lucky.

I like PM rewards system.
$2/cycle autopay reward
$1/cycle loyalty reward after one year with PM to max $5/cycle
$1/cycle refer-a-friend for each referee stay with PM
Community rewards up to $15.

PM support is provided by sending private message to PM community forum moderator team. Moderator wait time is up to 2 days. Therefore, you may be out of cellphone service for a few days while waiting for moderator. If your job depends on a working phone or running a business, don't use PM service.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, PM $37 5GB plan, PM $7 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $115/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
9673 posts
4371 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 4:18 pm
I don't know anything about Lucky.

I like PM rewards system.
$2/cycle autopay reward
$1/cycle loyalty reward after one year with PM to max $5/cycle
$1/cycle refer-a-friend for each referee stay with PM
Community rewards up to $15.

PM support is provided by sending private message to PM community forum moderator team. Moderator wait time is up to 2 days. Therefore, you may be out of cellphone service for a few days while waiting for moderator. If your job depends on a working phone or running a business, don't use PM service.
Hmm ok and if i join PM am i able to refer my self right away for a second line or is there a 30 day wait?
Public Mobile user!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10468 posts
9632 upvotes
blazed16 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 6:30 pm
Hmm ok and if i join PM am i able to refer my self right away for a second line or is there a 30 day wait?
PM does not have to wait 30 days before you can refer-a-friend. If you activate in-store, you need to create a self-serve account first before you can get your refer-a-friend code on the overview page after login. If you activate online, your self-serve account will be created automatically for you. With your refer-a-friend code, you can refer your second PM activation. You first line will get $1/cycle reward as long as your second line stay with PM. Your second line will get a one time $10 referral bill credit to be used for the next renewal. If you get activate your first line with a referral code, your first line will get a $10 referral bill credit also.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6541 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto, ON
One big advantage of Lucky if you're in the Toronto rate centre: you can get 416 numbers from them!!!!

I had a secondary phone on PM; switched to Lucky in part because of the 416 number issue. Lucky is $2/month more; otherwise, both seem fairly similar...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
9673 posts
4371 upvotes
Im porting my numbers in so ill have manitoba numbers so 416 dont matter to me haha.
Public Mobile user!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6541 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blazed16 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 7:33 pm
Im porting my numbers in so ill have manitoba numbers so 416 dont matter to me haha.
Are both of them able to port Manitoba numbers? (I just wonder if Bell offers Lucky in the Manitoba market where their main presence is the MTS acquisition)
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10468 posts
9632 upvotes
VivienM wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 7:45 pm
Are both of them able to port Manitoba numbers? (I just wonder if Bell offers Lucky in the Manitoba market where their main presence is the MTS acquisition)
Telus/Koodo/PM are offering mobile service in Manitoba long before Bell acquisition of MTS.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6541 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto, ON
embguy wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 7:56 pm
Telus/Koodo/PM are offering mobile service in Manitoba long before Bell acquisition of MTS.
That was exactly my point... (i.e. that maybe PM was more likely to allow porting of Manitoba numbers given Telus' much longer history in MB)
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1405 posts
183 upvotes
Calgary
VivienM wrote:
My kid needs a cheap plan and he lives in Selkirk MB, are both Lucky and PM available there? Is coverage basically the same? (bell vs telus)?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6370 posts
3122 upvotes
Canada
kotoula wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:31 pm
My kid needs a cheap plan and he lives in Selkirk MB, are both Lucky and PM available there? Is coverage basically the same? (bell vs telus)?
Bell/telus share towers. If they don't have coverage there, no one will. They have the largest network
Public Mobile and Koodo customer
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16449 posts
6386 upvotes
Oakville
VivienM wrote:
I've never heard of a company refusing to port in numbers from a specific location. I would think the CRTC would frown on that
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6541 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wearysky wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 3:08 pm
I've never heard of a company refusing to port in numbers from a specific location. I would think the CRTC would frown on that
Why would the CRTC frown on that? To port numbers, the carrier needs to offer service (and be set up for porting) in the particular rate center that the number is based in.

It's even worse than that if you are porting to a more-or-less traditional land line carrier. You cannot port a 416 (Toronto rate center) number and get a service to a location that is, say, in the Clarkson rate center (one of the 6 Mississauga rate centers) from a Bell or Rogers or other traditional CLEC (at least without some additional forwarding-type service funkiness).

To use another example, I have a (416) 925 home number that, once upon a time, was associated with Bell's TOROON02 CO on Asquith St and has been ported to Rogers home phone. Rogers will let me keep that number anywhere in the city of Toronto. If I move outside the Toronto rate centre, Rogers will not provide service to that number... so either I lose the number or I port it to a VoIP carrier that does offer service in the Toronto rate center.

Keep in mind that phone numbers are not just random numbers. They contain geographical information that links a prefix to a particular rate center, from which all kinds of routing decisions are made and all kinds of rules follow. It's easy to forget these rules if you have cell phones or VoIP with included long distance or if you've never encountered smaller rate centers (try porting a number in one of the 807 rate centers to a southern-centric VoIP carrier), but they're still there lurking in the background.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18496 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
Since Bell and Telus share towers, network performance is a draw. I would say Public Mobile is superior on cost savings. There are so many ways to earn a bit of reward here and there, it is pretty easy to lower the plan cost. I think Lucky is superior on customer service. The way things stand with Public Mobile these days where getting access to customer service takes 2-3 day, it is totally unacceptable. For high maintenance customers, go with Lucky. For penny pinching customers, go with Public Mobile.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10468 posts
9632 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 12:02 am
Since Bell and Telus share towers, network performance is a draw. I would say Public Mobile is superior on cost savings. There are so many ways to earn a bit of reward here and there, it is pretty easy to lower the plan cost. I think Lucky is superior on customer service. The way things stand with Public Mobile these days where getting access to customer service takes 2-3 day, it is totally unacceptable. For high maintenance customers, go with Lucky. For penny pinching customers, go with Public Mobile.
PM is good for those DIYers who knows what to do when something is not working in a smartphone.
After 1 year with PM, my monthly payment is $1(loyalty reward) less without doing anything. After 5 years with PM, my $10 plan costs me only $3/cycle ( $10 - $2 autopay - $5 loyalty).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)